DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-13-2010, 01:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Green over Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
02QuadCabSLT is on a distinguished road

Remerson, ASE Certified, Whats your take on being able to find a Dealer shop qualified to handle this level of repair work at competitive price. Shop Labor in CT is at 85 hr. Any recommendations on what would qualify one over another?
Sponsored links
Old 05-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Dealerships are almost always going to be your best bet for something like this just because it's something they've done before and will have the special tools needed to do the job right. ASE certifications don't mean nearly as much as shop owners and the ASE people themselves like for you to believe. I could take most anyone from this forum, give them a study guide for a couple of weeks and they could pass most any ASE automotive test offered. Your best bet is to talk to freinds, coworkers and family for advice about a reputable shop. Also check with your local BBB to see if they have any complaints lodged against them.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02QuadCabSLT View Post
SilverEagle98, Thanks for your response. Was the corrosion on the block or the head? My last venture into head repair was a 66fordgt 298/271 HiPo in 81 that rolled a timing chain. Manifold, heads, solidlifters, cam timing gears...and 3 weeks of grime removal from my hands. I was a younger man with a stronger back. I am not adverse to taking on the task but if the possibility of it being on the block exists I need to weigh the benefit sending it out. Thanks
That GT must have been one sweet machine! My second car was a 64 Galaxie 500XL with a 390 that I built up. I miss the old days!

The corrosion was in the head. When I tackled the job I was assuming I would find a blown gasket, and was surprised to find corrosion with only 81K miles on the motor. I ground out the corrosion and filled it in with Liquid Steel to see if it would work rather than spend $400+ on a new head. If it leaks again, I'll sell the truck. But so far it's been 8K miles with no problems.

It's been years since I'd done anything like this, so I was surprised to find that the head gaskets are all metal and the other gaskets involved are O-rings. No scraping was involved. It wasn't a difficult job, just time consuming. You'll want to pull the radiator so you can stand in the engine compartment. You can't take off the front end of the motor without getting some water into the oil pan, so be prepared to change oil. Be careful of the timing chain tensioners, they're made of plastic (imagine that!). I used channel locks to pinch the left one in then used an allen wrench in the provided hole to keep it in place. I chose to take the chains off their cam sprockets then line the whole thing up after I was finished. The marks on all sprockets are easy to line up, just rotate the motor a few times with a wrench on the crank to verify the alignment.

I went ahead and got new head bolts to be on the safe side. Bolts and all new gaskets ran about $250 or so.

My best friends on this job were an air ratchet and a 3/8" ratchet with a double jointed handle.

I found out that pulling the head and manhandling it can cause built up carbon to break loose and get stuck in the valve guides. On mine this caused an exhaust valve to stick open and the cam follower (rocker arm) to fall out. Do a Seafoam treatment on the motor once you're done. It's good for the motor anyway and the smoke show is entertaining if done near your neighbor's house...
Old 05-13-2010, 11:46 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
I have to argue about the TTY head bolts. Chrysler generally only calls for replacing TTY bolts when they are necked down or otherwise show signs of damage that would lead to failure.
I've been told , that on your final 90 degree torque , if the torque wrench clicks off at 90 ft lbs before you hit the end of the 90 degree swing it's a good bolt .
Old 05-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram quad cab 4.7l
Trim Level: slt
Color: light blue
GaryGtx is on a distinguished road

this is great guys!!! i think im pretty conf that i can do this then. Every time get out of my truck i blled the collant pressure off to help the gasket last a little longer. Does anyone on here live in the fort worth texas area?
Old 05-14-2010, 01:44 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

You need a tool to hold the 3 timing chains in place while you're doing the job.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the reply. Went to a private shop yesterday and called several dealers today. All of same take. $2100 to $3400 depending on parts reuse, repair or replacement. In speaking with a dealer shop foreman, that I think is the shop to I will bring it to, we got on the while at it repairs topic. Recommended I&A to change water pump, tstat, flush out cooling, check hoses, new plugs.... Any recommendations what other items should be checked? Might Dodge have a recommended add on list? Don't want to spend that kind of $ in the stupid mode and then have to go back later to repair something that should have been included. I was always of the mindset that once I got over 100K my ride was close to being totaled until I put another $20 into gas in the tank. These trucks are in the 8 to 12K used price range in this area so I am thinking that if even if I invest 3K im still ahead of the game.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the response. Went to a private shop and spoke with several dealer service shops on the phone. Plan is to go the dealer mode after I talk to the shop foreman and decide who will get the cash. This is like picking a new dentist. Will let you know the outcome.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:39 PM

Sounds like the foreman has it pretty well covered.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

........day 8...boys are mad, dad has their car, moms mad dad has her car, im annoyed cause my job wont fit into a car. Service writer calls today and lets me know one head cracked per machine shop one tested ok, dealer recommended install of a 1 reman head and putting the ok one back in......was going to call the dealer tomorrow and find out what type of testing they performed on the heads to determine reuse of one. reman is to arrive friday am. they say ready friday pm. think that is possible or will I be towing it back on tuesday after the holiday.