Originally Posted by 02QuadCabSLT
SilverEagle98, Thanks for your response. Was the corrosion on the block or the head? My last venture into head repair was a 66fordgt 298/271 HiPo in 81 that rolled a timing chain. Manifold, heads, solidlifters, cam timing gears...and 3 weeks of grime removal from my hands. I was a younger man with a stronger back. I am not adverse to taking on the task but if the possibility of it being on the block exists I need to weigh the benefit sending it out. Thanks
That GT must have been one sweet machine! My second car was a 64 Galaxie 500XL with a 390 that I built up. I miss the old days!
The corrosion was in the head. When I tackled the job I was assuming I would find a blown gasket, and was surprised to find corrosion with only 81K miles on the motor. I ground out the corrosion and filled it in with Liquid Steel to see if it would work rather than spend $400+ on a new head. If it leaks again, I'll sell the truck. But so far it's been 8K miles with no problems.
It's been years since I'd done anything like this, so I was surprised to find that the head gaskets are all metal and the other gaskets involved are O-rings. No scraping was involved. It wasn't a difficult job, just time consuming. You'll want to pull the radiator so you can stand in the engine compartment. You can't take off the front end of the motor without getting some water into the oil pan, so be prepared to change oil. Be careful of the timing chain tensioners, they're made of plastic (imagine that!). I used channel locks to pinch the left one in then used an allen wrench in the provided hole to keep it in place. I chose to take the chains off their cam sprockets then line the whole thing up after I was finished. The marks on all sprockets are easy to line up, just rotate the motor a few times with a wrench on the crank to verify the alignment.
I went ahead and got new head bolts to be on the safe side. Bolts and all new gaskets ran about $250 or so.
My best friends on this job were an air ratchet and a 3/8" ratchet with a double jointed handle.
I found out that pulling the head and manhandling it can cause built up carbon to break loose and get stuck in the valve guides. On mine this caused an exhaust valve to stick open and the cam follower (rocker arm) to fall out. Do a Seafoam treatment on the motor once you're done. It's good for the motor anyway and the smoke show is entertaining if done near your neighbor's house...