DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 ram 3500 drw
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: RED
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
flacrkr1ton is on a distinguished road

In order to manuver with a short bed a slider hitch can be used, useing a fixed hitch does hinder full 90 degree swings with a slider it eliminates that problem. Finding a unit small enough helps but you are sacrificing comfort so you can tow it with your truck.I personally like fifth wheels they tow very well and are easy to jockey into tight areas,however in your case i would get a bumper pull type trailer for increased comfort level ect.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Now 2012

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Red Pearl
Rep:146
Ram11 will become famous soon enoughRam11 will become famous soon enough

Well as far as I'm concerned, its a tuff one ,,, I have a 2007 33 foot fifth wheel that I used to tow, but now its up in PA at Lake Adventure,,
The reason I say this is because I pulled mine with a 2500 Ram deisel it pulled like there was nothing behind it, but one day I was up in the Catskills mountains and the fuel punp went on the truck, and it took 3 days to get the pump, so I called a friend who has a 08 Ram and he does have a hemi in there don't have any idea what rear, but that truck strugled up every hill. My trailer weights around 12,000 lbs,
Factory Fender Flare's... Smoked Rain Guard's... 8,000 Hid'... Zeta Body Side Molding... Painted Pinstripe... Dodge S/S Door Sills... S10 Bed Slide... Ghost Flames... Mopar Tonneau Cover... Mopar High Performance Exhaust... K and N Cold Air Intake...Bilstein 4600 Front Shocks.....Thunder Form enclosure Loaded with 2 10 Kenwood Subs,,
Old 01-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 ram 3500 drw
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: RED
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
flacrkr1ton is on a distinguished road

I like a diesel for towing i also like a dually less sway i had a 35 foot fifth wheel my current truck towed it like a dream.I have driven a 95 2500 ctd with a 35 foot avaion from fla to arizona for a friend towed great had some sway but not bad overall pulled like a dream,my first truck was a 95 dually ctd auto i hauled boats grossed at 23,500 lbs constantly towed like a dream plenty of power still got 10 mpg. I'll never own a gas truck again.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Ram 2500 SLT Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:147
SnowChief will become famous soon enoughSnowChief will become famous soon enough

I tend to be of the mind set that 5th wheel towing is better suited for larger trucks, such as the Ram 2500 (and a diesel if your wallet can be opened up enough and you are not addicted to the Hemi). A 5th wheel allows for larger weights to be towed because of obvious reasons. I agree with the member that suggested a "travel trailer" (towed with a conventional 2" hitch receiver) is, under most circumstances, better with a 1500 (certainly easier to drive).
Old 01-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Crew Cab / 3.92 rear end
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Stone White
Rep:917
Big Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to behold

Take a look at RV.Net. It's one of the best sources of RV info on the Internet. It's probably the RV equivalent to this place and I believe you can find what you're looking for there.

If you really prefer a fiver one line to look at that is light weight and workable with a short bed 1/2 ton truck is the North Trail or Sundance XLT by Heartland. Check them out at Heartland RV. If I ever move from self propelled to towed RV's that's what I'm looking at for myself.

And finally, please remember that safe towing (and greatly reduced stress - on both you and your equipment) is a direct result of knowing your weight limits and staying under them. A lot of research now will make things much easier later on.

I wish you much enjoyment on your purchase be it trailer or fith wheel.

Marching to Mamasita's beat for a real real long time...

Dennis
Old 02-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport 4x4 3.92
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:52
kgb503 will become famous soon enough
Default Any final decisions Boubou?

Hi Boubou - wondering if you made a decision one way or the other? Just wondering because I was considering the same thing...
If you went with a 5th wheel, any tips or specifics you can share?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:27 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram QC 4X4 Hemi
Trim Level: 4X4 SLT Hemi
Color: Light greystone
Rep:54
Boubou will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb503 View Post
Hi Boubou - wondering if you made a decision one way or the other? Just wondering because I was considering the same thing...
If you went with a 5th wheel, any tips or specifics you can share?
We originally got a travel trailer which weight 5800 lbs and found the layout too small for us and I hated hitching and un-hitching.
We traded it for a Jacyo Eagle HT 23.5. Very short small 5th wheel and the layout is perfect. The dry weight is 5900 # and we weighted it at the scales and it's 6800# loaded. We got the Superglide hitch, Michelins tires 10 ply and Timbrens.
All is great! We drove it to Nova Scotia and back, also to Lake George NY and down to the Finger Lakes NY.
The truck performed very well.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Metallic Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
918Dodge is on a distinguished road

I am considering a 5th wheel vs a bumper pull... but I have never towed with my truck and a newb to all this.

I have a 1500 SLT 4X2 2WD regular cab... GWVR is about 6,025 lbs. From earlier posts I see that it can tow a 5th wheel so long as the truck weight, load and trailer don't exceed 6,025lbs.. is this correct? If so we are only talking about a couple thousand pound trailer (6,025 - truck weight = trailer weight)

Evidently my truck can bumper pull a 5,050 pound trailer... which if my math is correct, is quite a bit larger than a 5th wheel that the truck would able to pull.

Is this correct?

Edit: actually im not sure I can bumper 5,050 thats for a different ratio.. My truck has a 3.21..

2010 Ram1500/SLT/RCSB/+Hemi

Last edited by 918Dodge; 02-21-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram QC 4X4 Hemi
Trim Level: 4X4 SLT Hemi
Color: Light greystone
Rep:54
Boubou will become famous soon enough

I don't mean to call on the weight police but... I am a girl and worry a lot. Having said that, we first got a travel trailer with weight 5800 lbs loaded with a heavy tongue weight of 900 lbs. We had the Resse HP dual cam sway control and it worked fine. The total lenght of this trailer was 26 feet. No sway. We then went camping. there are just the 2 of us with 3 little dogs. We go for 1 to 2 weeks at the time and found that the Shasta Revere 21 FBS type of layout (with the bed separated from the main living area with only a curtain and watch out for the BIG U shaped dinnette, I thought this was the best thing since sliced bread but ended up hating it real quikly).
Not one year into the deal, I found myself listening to my dad and 2 brother in law about a fifth wheel. I kept repeating to them all I have heard and read about on RV.net and the likes. My dad is a contractor and tows heavy machinery year round as well as Train countainers during the winter. One brother in law is a transport truck driver, long runs. The other brother in law is a mechanics.... 40 years in the business. Now that is experience.
We spotted this 5th wheel from Jayco, Eagle HY 23.5
small, 5900 lbs dry, 1159 pin weight. We let the salesman talk us into it. I worried a lot about the numbers and GVWR , GAWR, GCVWR, Tires, air bags, timbrens, leveling, you name it.'.... I worried! lol
I talked to a LOT of people.
Ultimately, we took quite a few trips last summer and the main one was down to nova scotia. We drove over 4000 km in the summer up and down hills and all was well. This truck towed this 5th wheel a lot better than it towed the trailer.
I woulnd't go back. If anyting, I might get a bigger one!!
We are going down to the outerbanks in april (1400 km and back) and again down to Nova Scotia in August.
The ram can tow!!
One thing my brother in law told me is: watch the tires! Get E rated tires, 10 plys. that is where your payload is.
his words, not mine. I dont know much about this other than the little bit of experience from last year.
Google RV.net and 1/2 ton towing 5th wheel. lots of picutres there

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/26546754.cfm
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

What's your rear end ratio? 3.92 or 3.55? Mileage towing 5th wheel?