DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
kowalsy is on a distinguished road
Default Dealership paint sealant

Did anybody else decide to purchase any of the extras at the time of purchase; such as the paint sealant, undercoating, fabric protection..?

I purchased all three, now I was able to get a good deal and negotiated a better then first offered price, but got thinking after if It was still worth it.

The paint sealant for example. I have always put a fresh wax on my vehicles when first purchased to give it that excellent shine. Would I be wasting my time waxing at this point because of the paint sealant? Would the wax be able to penetrate the paint and give it a better shine with the sealant already in place?

Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here! Nice looking truck, I like the color
Old 05-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4X4 Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:2453
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the truck, it looks great. Not sure about the sealer since I did not take any of that extra stuff. I have already put a complete wax on mine. Someone will chime in i'm sure just be patient.
BT CC / Hood Kit, LED Tails, Recon 3rd Brake & Xtreme LightBar, Black Aluminum Side Steps, Leer 700, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, MOPAR Valve Caps, Lighted RAM hitch cover, Front Tow Hooks and Bed Post Hide-a-Hooks, Tints (20% frt, 35% rear and slider), Painted Engine Cover/Brake Calipers, K&N Drop in,OEM Fender Flares/ bug deflector, FM 40, SC Cortex, Oracle H11 LED Heads, 4000k Putco Fogs, LED Interior Lights, Honeycomb Grill, Bilstien 5100's.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 PM

Trim Level: SLT QD CAB Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:65
DodgeRamMan71 will become famous soon enough

I just got my RAM on Monday. I had to go back to dealer to get some of the factory spray on bed liner off the rear quarter panel. They had to get some denatured alcohol on it to take it off. The guy that sold me the truck told me he was sorry for me having to bring it back due to the bed liner over spray. He threw in the paint sealer and protector. He told me and I quote him "You won't ever have to wax it again". I said sweet. So, if it ever does become un-shinny, I will take it back and let them see it. He said to use a light detergent soap and water to clean it. I have Black paint, so if it is gonna show up, it can not be missed. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:08 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Z from Calgary! The only added thing I'd ever get the dealership to do is the undercoating, which is a must for Alberta. 'Fabric Protection' is just a few cans of waterproofer they spray on... the same stuff you use for carpets... and costs 4 times more. As for the sealant, it's not a bad thing, but waxing it won't do anything for a few months. The wax never penetrates to the paint anyways, what it does is smooths out the ridges/scratches in the clearcoat to give a better shine.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:21
WNCrider is on a distinguished road

As a former vehicle appearance business owner (experienced detailer, bumper repairer, etc) the paint sealant from the dealer is nothing more than over priced wax. 9 times out of ten, the guys that apply it are the $10/hour prep guys and know nothing about the proper application of such products. When the dealer tells you that you will never have to wax again, they are full of it. Nothing, I repeat nothing on the market today will relieve you of protecting your paint. They sell these products and roll them into the financing. They tell you that it will only ad 10 or 12 dollars to your payment. WHAT? That's thousands of dollars for a wax job and fabric protectant that you can spray on yourself for a few bucks. So, bottom line it's all a scam. Unless you like supporting your local dealer like that.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White 2-tone
Rep:172
CustomShirts has a spectacular aura aboutCustomShirts has a spectacular aura about

Greetings... First of all your truck is really great looking. I love the Red by itself (no 2-tone) It looks awesome.

My wife recently bought a 2010 Jeep back in Dec. And the finance manager (as they call them) was able to sell her all sorts of stuff. Its one thing to extend a warranty, especially if you are going to drive your truck... But she puts on all of 3,000 miles a year if she is lucky.

She got...

Extended Warranty
Key Replacement protection
Tire / Wheel Protection
Lo Jack
and something else stupid I dont recall.

Individually they made it out to be so expensive but if you buy the package of all 5 things... you were saving like $2500. And even then the whole package was like $4000. They are slick.. and break it down as part of your monthly payment... Oh its only a few dollars more on your payment etc.

Even with leases they try that B.S. And every time I get a new car... I tell the salesman... Im going to take this deal.. but I have one condition... The finance manager can not try to sell me something im not going to buy and waste 2 hours of my time trying to explain why I need it.

Tried this with my Wifes car but i got there late and she was already sitting with him and basically sold her on everything.

Extended warranty... Like I said.. if you are going to drive it... Fine I can certainly understand getting that.

Lo-Jack... This Is the only thing i would recommend getting and you can buy it outside the dealership. You can get it at various locations. Contact lo-jack if you are really interested in it prior to buying it from the dealer. The lo-jack device and install is the same regardless of where you buy it so why not save $100 if you can.

Key Replacement... This is a joke. They sit there and tell you... Oh you got a special key with a chip, the key costs $350 to replace it... then the programming fee here at the dealership of $80 blah blah blah So its better off to get the protection plan for their $399. Out of all the cars I leased and owned I lost 1 key... to my 2004 Durango. lost it fishin. But I had a Spare!!! they give you 2 keys!! Duhh! Then I was able to find a duplicate key on ebay for all of $38. Went to a local Locksmith and they were able to cut the key for a couple of dollars. So I would have to lose my key like 10 times in order to make the replacement key protection worth it. And if I loose my keys that much... hell I should be taking the bus, because Im too irresponsible to get behind the wheel of a car. LOL

Tire, Wheel Protection... Another joke... It protects you for this and that.. your tires on your car cost you $500 if we were to get them for you and install. KEY TERM!!! If WE were to get them and install it... Not if the local Tire Guy does it... then it costs what? at most... $150 for a factory tire. Most Ram owners change their tires or wheels at some point anyway... so what good is it?

Okay, so if you are going to keep factory wheels and tires and if you like driving in pot holes deliberately... and you cant park and hit curbs all day long... then you need the protection. Otherwise the chance that you are going to cause enough damage in the life-time of the protection to make the protection pay for itself is what? A million to one. Better off staying away from it.

Paint sealant... in 1997 Dodge was one of the first to offer a 7 layer paint process and then a clear coat to protect the paint. Prior to then... I have seen cars (neighbors' 1994 Shadow) burgandy paint fade away. He still has it and it runs... with over 100,000 miles but it is mostly grey now. He refuses to repaint it. Now I also see 1998 durangos still on the road today... and paint looks very good... thats 13 years.... and without flaws. So what paint sealant are they putting on?t that is going to improve the paint? Wax? For several $100? Not worth it. Give me a couple of $100 and I will wax your car for you myself.

Undercoating I cant reply to... because I dont know anything about it. There were a few discussions recently in one of the forumz. there are different methods and different reasons for it. So one would want to research tehir driving conditions, their location etc and take all that into account. If you live in cold climate and the township or city salts streets or you live near the ocean etc. Lots of things can determine if you need undercoating or not.

Fabric protection... Are you referring to stains etc? If you have a dog like I do... and dark interior... Not an issue. If you have the sloppiest kids and dark interior... not an issue. Pretty much with the dark fabric... the fabric is so tightly woven and already has repellents and stuff as part of the manufacturing process. Try spilling a cup of water on your new seats... it beads up... why? because the fabric already has some protection. Will it be protected from everything? probably not... however the things that it will not be protected by... can probably be cleaned up with a DIY product or by a shop for far less then what the protection costs.

On the otherhand... if you are going to use this truck for work, especially carrying day laborers or equipment in the cab... Then I would think it makes sense.

If the fabric coverage covers rips and tears... READ IT CAREFULLY. No one warranties fabrics from unnatural rips and tears regardless of what the product is. You placing a saw in the back of the truck on the seat... pulling it out and maybe a splinter of metal caught the fabric... you yank it and it tears... do you think they will come and re-upholster that for you for free? Do you think you get a cigarette burn or spilled some nasty chemical on it, they will replace it? NOT The only thing that is covered is the fabric ripping and tearing on its own. That does not happen.

Lay a t-shirt on the bed... get a chair and a beer. And another beer and another... another... another. Druck as sh*t that shirt did not start ripping itself apart did it? You may be drunk enough were it waved and said hello... but it did not rip! LOL

Remember.... most of the stuff a dealer sells you is a product or service that can be purchased anywhere at a greater reduced price. Just like the price of a car... there is the sticker price.. the so called invoice price and the special below invoice price. then there are bout 3-4 other price levels. Even though we think we know what the dealer pays for it... Unless you are a Sales manager for a dealer you will never know... and if there are any sales managers on this site they will attest they have to sign a Gag agreement. Everything the dealers sells has GROSS PROFIT MARGINS because they know they are going to get chewed down.

My advice to anyone getting a new car... if you are considering these "add ons" that are one-time buy-now products and services... do your homework first... and walk in there with the best deals you find... and tell them to match it. And most will. because a small bite of a meatball hero is better then getting nothing and watching someone else eat it.

Sorry for running on with the long reply.

Tim

Last edited by CustomShirts; 05-12-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White 2-tone
Rep:172
CustomShirts has a spectacular aura aboutCustomShirts has a spectacular aura about

Just wanted to add... On my new Laramie... when I go to pick it up... the only thing I will consider getting from the dealer is the Chrysler extended lifetime Warranty.... and only if they make me a deal. That too can be bought by any dealer... and you have 90 days grace period I think to do so before you are hit with fees. So Just like you make them bid out for the car.. why not for the service plan. LOL

And I will shop around for my lo-jack.

Dont need anything else... So dont try to sell me Sh*t. LOL

Tim
Old 05-11-2010, 11:03 PM

Trim Level: Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:41
SubMafia is on a distinguished road

I really don't know what I can add on to what Tim said, lol.

Tim, why in the hell did you let your wife sit down with those sharks without you? I sat with my wife as she got her Subaru and had to keep them from selling her everything under the sun.

But I agree with what Tim has said. There is NOTHING the dealership offers I would consider. They are overpriced and the work is typically shoddy, at best.

The "lifetime sealant"...sealants can't even last a year properly, let alone a lifetime. Dish soap is recommended for stripping away the wax and protection. I couldn't imagine why they would tell you to wash your vehicle with that.

And Tim brought up a good point. The warranties can be purchased from ANY dealership. Make them bid it out. I'm fortunate to know a dealer personally and I get it at his cost. A huge cost savings. I'm sure if any of you wanted, I could get you in touch with him and I'm sure he'd give you the absolute best price. Maybe not my price...but hell, he could probably beat the other dealers.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:47 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew
Trim Level: sport
Color: mineral grey
Rep:23
M275sailor is on a distinguished road

I took their oilspray mainly for the lifetime warranty against corrosion. I was going to do it anyway. It was double the price but a one time(we shall see) application vs. annual for the others.