DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Picked up my 2010 Ram today

14K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  brad12kx 
#1 ·
Well, Today was the day!

Here she is, just waiting for her new owner.....

So I added plates -

Started her up with 17kms on the clock.

Drover her to the Trim Shop to get the 3M clear protection installed on the bottom.

Left her there overnight so they can get to her first thing in the morning with 22kms on the clock.

Would prefer to be driving her than posting here, but the guy at the trim shop convinced me 3 trucks ago to get the clear put on before there's a single stone chip....and he was 100% right. My last 3 truck will attest to that.

So came home in my old clunker - :LOL:

Lease expires at end of the month, so I'll say good-bye to the good ol' beast then. :wavey:

See less See more
#3 ·
Nope & Nope.
This ones a 1500, and the 4x4 is factory.
As she sits - ZERO Mods....clean slate.....A virgin!!!

#4 ·
Oh really, just wondering why mine never came with those. Must be something new they are doing. Do you know where yours was built ? Mine came out of the Warren Truck plant. Anyway very nice looking truck in a familure kind of way. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#7 ·
BTW - Very early in the mod game.... the 4x4 decals are GONE!
If anyone is interested, I'll send the pieces to you for FREE.....all 11,000 of them.
Honestly, I would miss a single one....you can have them all. :)

#8 ·
Congrats, Brad! I know this has been a long time acomin' for ya! I am really happy for you. You have been a great contributor to this website and I am sure it will only grow! Just don't forget about us now that you have another "girl" in your life. Please....don't forget about us.....

#9 ·
Who are you, and WHAT to you want ??
How'd you get this number ??

:LOL:

#11 ·
Hey Brad...

She's a beauty. Did you buy or lease it? And are those 20's on there. Let me know what you think of the protection you are having done.

I look forward to hearing more about it.

Oh and for those decals... I
ll take me... but only if you tape all the pieces back together. ;)

Good luck with your new ride. Its awesome!!

Tim

#12 ·
No Problem, I will tape them together....will make for easier packaging!
Any particular order you want them taped in? :wavey:

This one I bought. The lease options in Canada are....well....not an option!
Took the 3 year - 0% option. Interest and me is a love/hate relationship. I love to collect it, hate to pay it. Gonna seem weird, I haven't bought a truck in.....well it was well before my Alzheimer's kicked in.

Yup!, those are the 20's. They're the ones that are standard with the Sport package (26L I think). Not super excited about the tires (not much of a Goodyear fan), but I'll try them for a while and give them the chance to impress me.

The protectant is a clear film, similar to sign decal but tougher and truly invisible, that is applied more like window tint than decal. I've had it applied to my last 3 trucks, and will never go without it again. I drive a fair bit of gravel roads, and don't even have mud flaps on my truck(s). Used to be that I'd wear the paint off right to metal in about 6 months. with this stuff, the rocker panel and inner fender lip have Zero stone chips. The product is amazing. AND, if you beat up the clear film bad enough, it can be removed and new stuff re-applied. The longest I've gone is 4 years, and that one was due to have the protectant replaced when I turned it in.
I also get them to put it on the inside door jam, where I kick the mud/snow off my shoes when entering the truck; and small patch above the tailgate handle to eliminate the scratching from your palm when closing the gate.
Costs me $400 for it all, installed. I know that I'm basically paying for labor, but it's worth it. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#18 ·
Haven't got rid of them yet. Just picked up the truck tonight from the trim shop, and just had to go for....well photo op, then a cruise. Tomorrow, is Mod day #1, and I think the decals are #1 mod!

Very nice looking truck! How long did it take your from your initial order until you received it?

Still waiting for mine....ordered 29 March ETA .....?
Ordered on 26 Feb, was told that the build wouldn't even start til end of May, but the truck showed up at the dealer on May 4th. Completely caught us both by surprise. Since I was planning on a July/August delivery, I didn't have the mods ordered, so May 5th I spent the day on the phone/internet and ordered like the bank was full. would have picked her up sooner, but it's been non-stop crap weather here, and I wasn't going to pickup a new truck only to have it dirty in 100'

I like the look without the fender stickers, was just curious why yours has them and all the other 2010 sport 4x4s that I have seen on this site do not. Guess you just got Lucky, lol........ But sierously, why would the factory all of a sudden start putting them on ? I imagine they are going to be quite the pain to remove and could damage the paint if your not carefull. Good luck and post some pics when there gone.
Well, there's good and bad to this story. Decals = Bad....but since I did spend a couple of years helping a friend in the vehicle stripping business, I learned how to remove those unglies without even touching the paint, so no worries there.
Updated T-case = GOOD. SOAB - they updated the T-case to the same one in the Laramies. 2H - 4 Auto - 4H - 4L I AM SO HAPPY!!!!! I almost gave up the Sport for the Laramie, just because of the T-case. Glad I stuck to Form before function...it worked out this time.

Today - Pick up truck from trim shop and bring home for photo op with 26kms on the clock -

#15 ·
I like the look without the fender stickers, was just curious why yours has them and all the other 2010 sport 4x4s that I have seen on this site do not. Guess you just got Lucky, lol........ But sierously, why would the factory all of a sudden start putting them on ? I imagine they are going to be quite the pain to remove and could damage the paint if your not carefull. Good luck and post some pics when there gone.

#16 ·
:smileup:Congrats on the new truck..............Very,,,very nice..........Love the colour...........Dont figure:LOL:

#19 ·
And here's a few more pix at 26km photo op.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Mods start tomorrow, so I will post a play by play....unless I just start putting on the miles and completely ignore the rest of the world... :LOL:

#20 ·
She really does look great! I look forward to seeing what mods you do. So dont get lost! LOL

Thans for the info on the protection film. So you only do the rocker and inside of the fedor's lips?

I got the same tires on mine... Well see. I wanna get the Nitto Grapplers though. Im liking them a lot.

Man Im really happy that you got your ride. Sitting here with a smile and i dont even know why. I guess it feels good when good things happen to good people.

Tim

#21 ·
Thanks Tim,
I am so looking forward to start the mod process. right from the time I picked it up, I knew I was going to like this truck. I just wish I had known that the sport hood was changed. I really like the look of the new ones, and wish I had ordered it (Only $800). Oh well, I guess I can still get it. Need to talk to the body shop and next time they have a truck in that needs a hood, they can order the sport hood for me, and put mine on the repair.

I took some pix of the clear protectant mod, but they were completely usless, so will try again tomorrow. Have to take the pix with no stray lighting. It's so hard to see at the best of times, and almost impossible to photograph.

Guy at the trim shop used much less on this truck than my last. he seemed to think that because of the change in the rocker panel shape, that it will be less subseptable to chiping, so didn't run the full length of the truck. Only about 3' behind the front tire. If he's wrong.......Brad's not happy. :susel:

#22 ·
Well hopefully he knows what he is talking about. Is the Trim shop a nationwide chain or franchise? or is he like an Authorized dealer installer of the product? If so what is the product name so I can find my local installer.

Thanks for all your help.

I agree with you... The new hood looks awesome.

Tim

#23 ·
Not a franchise, he's a local guy that's been here for a long time and has a well earned good reputation. Probably the only Mod/Trim/Sign shop I trust...and most specifically, with my truck.
He has already put dibs on buying the truck when I'm ready to upgrade, so kept it in the shop longer than normal (and longer than I hoped for....I wanted to DRIVE) so that he could apply the stuff 'Just So'. the job he did inside the fender lip is so good, I actually questioned if he forgot to do it. He was so impressed that I couldn't tell on my own, and he had to point out where the edges were. He removed the factory screws, and plastic pieces to get the stuff under everything....amazing job!
Best part, if he got it wrong, it'll be :hah: his problem in a few years.

#26 ·
Well, I was all geared up for today being a Mod day :smileup: BUT things didn't go according to my master plan. :sad:

First I had attend a funeral - Killed the morning.
Next, I was recruited by my church to assist with a practise session for an up coming event - Killed the first 3 hours of the afternoon.
Then I was further recruited to go to the in-laws to plant tomatoes because my father in law was not feeling good, but insisted that the plants had to go in today - Killed another couple hours.
6:00pm - Finally got home to spend some quality time with my new truck, and I get visitors...of the variety that completely prohibits any possibility of getting any work done.... :i_rolleyes:
7:30pm - Have successfully alienated myself, and can now start on Mod #1

Mod 1 - Remove those glamorous 4x4 decals and ship to Tim :LOL:
and remove the dealership decal from the tailgate.

After removing the 4x4 decals, it dawned on me that I should have documented the process for those who would like to remove their own decals, but are concerned with damaging the paint. The method I use does NOT require the blade of a knife or other metal object to make contact with the paint, and I believe is so easy, 'Even a Caveman can do it !!'

So, I documented the removal of the dealership decal -

The tools I used -

First - apply masking tape to the paint near a corner of the decal. I'm right handed, so usually pick the lower right corner. The tape doesn't touch the decal. There is about a 1/16" space.

Then take the heat gun and 'Warn' the starting point....Warm it....do not make it hot!!! If it's too hot to touch, then its too hot.

Now with the blade of the razor knife resting on the tape, gently push at the corner of the decal to create a bit of an edge on the decal. If your lucky, the edge of the decal will start lifting from the paint. If it doesn't, don't worry, that's normal. the important part is to slightly 'damage' the edge of the decal. If the knife doesn't make contact with the edge of the decal, use a thinner tape. I have used scotch tape with excellent results, but prefer masking tape.

Now rub the roughened edge of the decal with your finger to further 'damage' the edge of the decal.

Again, warm the starting point of the decal with the heat gun.

Gently lift the edge of the decal from the paint, using your fingers

.......to be continued.

#27 ·
Now warm the entire decal, grab the end of the decal you freed from the paint and slowly and gently peal the decal off. you may have to repeat the warming process multiple times on larger decals.

Decals gone, just the edge dirt remains.

Remove the tape and wash the area.

Here is the pile of removed decals ready for packaging and shipment to Tim.

Yesterdays picture - With decals

Todays picture - Now that's an improvement !!! :smiley_thumbs_up:

#28 ·
Nice writeup and pics Brad, thanks for putting that together. Truck looks great, too! Wonder what's with the cheesy 4X4 decals??? Nice chrome badge on the tailgate is sufficient, lol, I probably would have taken those off myself. :)

- Cajun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.