DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Napa carries them eh.... interesting.
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2010, 07:50 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:43
rickerred is on a distinguished road

Plain rotors have more surface area, modern pads/shoes there is very little gas created compared to older pads, less prone to cracking and are cheaper, do the slotted and drilled pads cost more, wear out more quickly and cost more. I guess what I am asking is, "what is the advantage of slotted and drilled over regular rotors when it come to day to day driving other than the bling factor"?

Future Mods: What ever I can sneak by my wife.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:30 AM

Vehicle: 09 Ram 1500 Reg Cab SB
Trim Level: SLT w/5.7 and 3.92
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:112
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Raybestos makes some drilled rotors for the 4th Gens,, Seperate part numbers for left and right,,,

Will probably opt for some ceramic pads after the OEMs wear out,,, Not sure about rotors though,,,
Old 09-11-2010, 12:35 AM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:108
drivehard27 will become famous soon enoughdrivehard27 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to drivehard27

im going to go with the ebc rotors and green stuff pads have seen only good stuff about them
Old 09-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Random Police is on a distinguished road

Horrible waste of money. Pure marketing BS.

These are HIGH PERFORMANCE RACING rotors. Never mind you can't turn em, and you'll never even see the heat needed to actually use the holes in them.

Tom
Old 09-12-2010, 10:21 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

I have 14" Stoptech slotted rotors (front only) with matching 4 piston calipers and S/S brakelines and it feels like your face is being ripped off when I stomp on the brakes but I guess it is just marketing bs and I wasted my money.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 08 Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn
Color: Electric Blue Pearl
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:119
ICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enoughICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ICEMAN99TURBO Send a message via Yahoo to ICEMAN99TURBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickerred View Post
Plain rotors have more surface area, modern pads/shoes there is very little gas created compared to older pads, less prone to cracking and are cheaper, do the slotted and drilled pads cost more, wear out more quickly and cost more. I guess what I am asking is, "what is the advantage of slotted and drilled over regular rotors when it come to day to day driving other than the bling factor"?
Faster stopping, lower distance to stop, less prone to warping, longer rotor life (depending on how aggressive of a pad), just an over all better pedal feel and over all better braking.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickerred View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMAN99TURBO View Post
Faster stopping, lower distance to stop, less prone to warping, longer rotor life (depending on how aggressive of a pad), just an over all better pedal feel and over all better braking.
What turbo said. They basically dissapate heat better.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:41 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

I can honestly say that there is a difference in brake pads and that I can feel the difference . I still run the standard ole fashioned brake rotors and haven't had much of a complaint from them . One of these days I'll try a set of crossdrilled and slotted rotors . One thing that I am also gonna go with is a set of stainless steel brake hoses . I have friends that have had them installed and say that there is a noticeable difference .
Old 09-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ram SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
PB1500SLT is on a distinguished road

I used to have a 350z, so brakes sort of had more of an importance, if you can call it that, as on track days brakes could either make or break you. For the most part, you get what you pay for, but you can also get some good rotors and pads for cheap. If I just wanted a set of rotors for a day or two at the track, the Napa Ultra Premium slotted rotors stepped up just fine. The slots allow for more bite, and vent extra heat off the rotor. I'm not sure why, but for some reason Hawk pads never got the job done for anyone in the 350z world; for the price you paid they didn't have much bite and faded quite fast.

Clearly these trucks aren't track cars like a 350z, so they won't have as much of an importance (again, if I can even say that because brakes are one of the most important part of a vehicle, but you get what i'm saying), so you really shouldnt have much need for slotted/drilled/dimpled rotors. Blank rotors are also cheaper for the most part, and the gains you would get from drilled/slotted/dimpeld rotors in day to day city driving would be negligible.

For changing the brakes, you would only need rotors and pads, unless you let the pads get so low that the calipers starting biting into the rotors, and if you did let the brakes get that low it would raise the question of whether or not you should own a vehicle (no, but really). If you got a BBK (big brake kit) you would need new rotors, pads, and calipers, and since you were doing all that might as well get the SS brake lines too.