DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Yellow
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
toddrod will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiespaniels View Post
I hate to be the party pooper...and I don't want dissuade anyone form trying this because it's kind of a freebie...but...
I did this mod many, many years ago on my truck when I replaced the TPS. I still check the voltage on an irregular basis.
This mod did nothing for me. At least longterm it hasn't. There may be paremeters within the ECM of different years of trucks that cause this, but I know from the various forums I inhabit I 'm not the only person who hasn't noticed any gain.
I'm not trying to be sour grapes, but I've yet to find many folks who turned thier docile Ram into a tire smoking monster with this mod.
Still, if you've got some time to kill and the right drill bit...

I added some rep to ya Airborne for the writeup.
Unfortunately I have to agree with this guy, I have tried to adjust my tps and have not been able to get the noticeable performance that has been claimed. I've tried 3 times and no change. Good write up and excellent theory.
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Rep:210
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

in my defense...as I said...mine was a pretty good bit off, but, I don't know what to say. I noticed a difference...lol

But, then again, all the stuff I have done to my truck, maybe it took full advantage when it was adjusted properly?

But, reading around, this is apparently a mod people have been doing since these trucks came out, along with moving the IAT...so, probably one of those things that, its in each's opinion, and is just a free mod.

And, also, you have to remember, every vehicle is different. You can have to same exact engines built the same exact day in the same exact machine, and there will be a 10hp difference, so, maybe not all will respond in the same way.

I am going to try and drill mine out a little bit as well to see if it makes a difference.

But...it may be making a 10hp difference in the truck, and, being I run mine hard all the time, I notice a tiny change. I can tell when the temperature dropped 5 degrees...lol But, a normal person, or someone with a 4x4 ram might not notice a simple 10hp increase if its anywhere near that. You have at least 4400lbs of truck, so, 10hp is going to be very minor...lol

Mostly what I believe this does, though, is not increase horsepower or give anyone tire smoking launches, but...lets the computer change variable for the engine more efficiently, making it run correctly, taking full advantage of all 318/30 cubic inches of Dodge supplied power.

If you didn't notice a difference, it could have been simply that yours was in good shape to begin with.

Many variables in this, so, no one will ever know for sure unless put on a dyno, so...haha.

But, I apologize if I somehow mislead anyone into thinking they'd gain 40hp out of this, but, i noticed a large improvement, and, my truck honestly did spin the tires from a roll (which it has only ever done a handful of times on dry pavement). But, keep in mind, my truck is pretty light, has been modded a little bit, and is at sea level (air pressure makes a huge difference). So...as I said, many variables.

But...please don't hate me

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Old 09-27-2010, 04:22 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

No hate intended... I even added some rep to ya (or tried to).

It probably would work better on your truck than mine. And you're absolutely right, I wouldn't notice 5 hp, I might notice 10 or 15.
What I'd really like is about another 100 ft/lb of torque...
Old 09-27-2010, 04:56 PM

strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiespaniels View Post
No hate intended... I even added some rep to ya (or tried to).

It probably would work better on your truck than mine. And you're absolutely right, I wouldn't notice 5 hp, I might notice 10 or 15.
What I'd really like is about another 100 ft/lb of torque...
that makes two of us

It might be in the works for me though... I've got plans.

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Old 09-28-2010, 07:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Yellow
Rep:55
toddrod will become famous soon enough

Hey no hate on you from me either strang3majik. My tb was probably set to optimum already. Your write up is very good and very informative, thanks buddy!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 dodge ram 1500
Color: Silver
Rep:10
RamRunner4x4 is on a distinguished road

Hey quick question.. I did this and the code p0123 which means my tps is running at too high of voltage. It's only at .73 and it was at .66 closed throttle. Any ideas why this popped up?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:59 AM

have you tried unhooking the battery to see if it goes away?

Maybe while you were adjusting it, the meter you were using caused a spike or something???

Old 10-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2000 dodge ram 1500ish
Trim Level: slt
Color: custom green
Rep:42
carbed2000 is on a distinguished road

i got rid of the fuel injection on mine and went with a four barrel carb on mine am i love it, made the truck really come alive
Old 10-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1994 Ram 1500
Color: red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:25
thirdmouse is on a distinguished road

Nice tip, thanks. I read .5 volts on mine at idle and I don't remember what at WOT. Clearly the TPS wasn't designed to be adjustable. I punched the metal sleeves out of mine so I could adjust it. I used some small washers under the screws to hold it down. It doesn't take much. Now with the most movement I could get out of it I read .85V at idle and 4V at WOT. I'm quite sure I can tell a difference in the way it drives. I don't think I'm imagining it. I guess the test would be to put it back and see what it feels like. But I'll leave it like this for a while. My truck has something over 256,000 miles on it, so I figure it can use a few adjustments like this. I can't help but wonder what a little more rotation on that TPS would do.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned here, so I will. With this computer controlled stuff, I would make sure to use either a digital VOM or an analog VOM with an FET input or something with at least 10 megohms per volt input. I'd bet the standard old 20,000 ohms per volt input VOM will load the circuit too much and not give a correct voltage reading.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:15 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie quad cab
Color: red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:52
98redbull2 will become famous soon enough

Im deffinately gonna have to try this one after doing the T.B. mod aand an open face air cleaner aaand just doing the T.V. cable adjustment, i tell u what that cable adjustment got a little more ass out of my truck thats for sure. im excited to try this one and see if i can make it even better.