DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
robertdotcom is on a distinguished road
Default 2004 Dodge Ram 4.7 Engine blowing Antifreeze out Exhaust

My 2004 Dodge Ram with the 4.7 engine (2 wheel drive) is running very bad and blowing antifreze out the exhaust. I was told it may have a bad head and the guy who looked at it thought it was the passenger side. The truck only has 75K miles on it so I was wondering if it was worth fixing or replacing. The oil was VERY dirty when I bought it and it ran bad then but only got worse as it was driven.

I build websites and just started learning about these trucks so any advice is appreciated!
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you here! I'm not the guy you're looking for, but hang in there, this forum is filled of plenty of other knowledgeable members
Old 05-20-2010, 03:56 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Get it diagnosed first. if it's just one head or head gaskets, it's worth fixing. If the "guy who looked at it" isn't sure what the problem is and to which bank it's on, you need a new "guy".
Old 05-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge RAm 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Blu
tmansram is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a head gasket. I had the same problem. Had a quote for $1800.00 to get the heads rebuilt. Other mechanics suggested replacing the motor, saying the 4.7 isn't worth rebuilding. $3200.00 for a Jasper motor. Either way money has been tight. I put a $40 bottle of BARS Head gasket sealant in the motor. It sealed it up with no coolant loss in 6 months. It may be living on borrowed time....but...
Old 05-21-2010, 10:56 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Sounds to me like a lot of "mechanics" are intimidated by the 3 timing chains in the 4.7.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Mr Refney is on a distinguished road
Default Successfully repaired at home

I recently replaced the head gasket in my '02 after getting coolant blowing out of the exhaust. My dad was a mechanic for 15 years, and still has his tools, so I've got experienced help on hand. The best thing I did was find the official Dodge service/shop manual online. 2000 plus pages of diagrams for every part or repair you can imagine. I paid $10 for a pdf file, just printed out everything I need for that repair.
You can take off the top rail at the front of the engine compartment, which makes in even easier to work. Radiator was removed entirely and replaced, and I took the alternator, a/c compressor, and power steering loose and just swung them out of the way with bungie cords.
The head bolts are not TTY on this engine, though a lot are on newer vehicles. The service manual has a procedure for testing the old bolts for stretching, i.e. put a straight edge on the threads, make sure they all touch. Mine were fine. Also, there is a special tool for holding the chains in place which I didn't have. I made one out of a donut shaped piece of plywood with metal pins stuck through it in the appropriate spots. Worked great.
I had my heads tested and resurfaced by local shop, and then bought some quality gaskets. So far, I've put 10K miles on, with no issues.
I bought it with 103K on it, and the previous owner had apparently tried to fix his coolant leak my dumping in some radiator or head gasket sealant, which then proceeded to ruin the radiator. My local shop couldn't even core it out it had so much gunk in there. So, I'd say avoid the temptation of doing that and expecting the problem to go away.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:23 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Just remember : antifreeze is extremely harsh on engine bearings . You may beable to fix it but you won't know what other damage has been done .
Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram quad cab 4.7l
Trim Level: slt
Color: light blue
GaryGtx is on a distinguished road

hey do you happen to have that web address were you got te pdf file? Im gonna need that very quickly! thanks
Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2008-2008 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
fixitfirstime is on a distinguished road

Best advise is buy a chrysler service contract when you buy a 4.7 truck, The water pump and heads will be paid for then and you can run the wheels off it! I bought one with 71k on it and water pump failed first then the heads turned up warped. Antifreeze loss and mis fire cold were the symptoms. The Chrysler service contract basically makes it where the dealer can "be" the underwriter so you get new parts & customer driven policies rather than junkyard insurance company alternatives. For example if there are multiple items that are covered on powertrain on the same visit...you pay only one deductible for all the items. I ended up with reman. mopar head and cams...and apparently they had superceded to HO Jeep stuff cause the complete head number had the HO cams and the castings even said HO on one corner.
I like the extra 35 horsepower!