DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, 1500, Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:16
dafoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0007 View Post
I mentioned this on another thread but it sounds like Tundra's have the exact same thing and it comes from the driveshaft
Sounds like Lash in the slipjoint maybe?, some of the tundra guys say that repacking the slip joint with grease helps
They both have Spicer drive shafts I believe
0007, I think you are incorrect. I owned a 08 Tundra with the drivetrain clunk. Most (not all) of the clunk was removed with adding grease to the yoke. I just drove my 2010 Ram. What everyone is feeling is not the Toyota drivetrain clunk. I belive the other posts are correct, its the gas tank. Like the Tundra clunk, no big deal, just a little annoying. At least we can prevent it by keeping the tank full. (Gook luck with that)
Old 05-23-2010, 02:52 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 CC 5.7L 3.92
Trim Level: Big Horn CC 6'4" box
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:16
coolidge is on a distinguished road

Ha ha gas sloshing in the gas tank makes perfect sense now doh! So glad its not a drive train issue. I have the 32 gallon tank, just filled it up this morning and no bump. I'll have to pay attention when she's 3/4 full.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
jpoil5 is on a distinguished road
Default No fix for the gas tank problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolidge View Post
Ha ha gas sloshing in the gas tank makes perfect sense now doh! So glad its not a drive train issue. I have the 32 gallon tank, just filled it up this morning and no bump. I'll have to pay attention when she's 3/4 full.
Guys.. My truck has been back to the dealer 3 times and Chrysler headquarters got involved. Hunter Dodge confirmed that all of their 2010 Dodge Rams with the 32 gallon tank do this with 3/4's of a tank. So Chrysler engineers told them that if all the trucks are doing it then there is no fix..Wasted my time and money trying to get this fixed. I guess this is what I get for switching back to American finally...Aggrivated Dodge Ram owner... Trust me if the truck would have done this on the test drive I would NEVEr have bought this truck.. Other than that is a great ride. I don't even think DODGE is trying to figure out how to fix this!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Rep:10
sj1400 is on a distinguished road

Very interesting because the Chargers experience this condition also. Some more severe then others. I've experienced this twice with the Charger. Sitting at a light when all of a sudden it feels like you were rear ended. MY buddy also has a Charger and his was more severe - dealer was no help.. We assumed it was the trans. Still curious if this is fuel related since the CHarger has 2 fuel tanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoil5 View Post
Guys.. My truck has been back to the dealer 3 times and Chrysler headquarters got involved. Hunter Dodge confirmed that all of their 2010 Dodge Rams with the 32 gallon tank do this with 3/4's of a tank. So Chrysler engineers told them that if all the trucks are doing it then there is no fix..Wasted my time and money trying to get this fixed. I guess this is what I get for switching back to American finally...Aggrivated Dodge Ram owner... Trust me if the truck would have done this on the test drive I would NEVEr have bought this truck.. Other than that is a great ride. I don't even think DODGE is trying to figure out how to fix this!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:00 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1885
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj1400 View Post
Very interesting because the Chargers experience this condition also. Some more severe then others. I've experienced this twice with the Charger. Sitting at a light when all of a sudden it feels like you were rear ended. MY buddy also has a Charger and his was more severe - dealer was no help.. We assumed it was the trans. Still curious if this is fuel related since the CHarger has 2 fuel tanks..
The LX body cars have one fuel tank that is saddled across the drive shaft.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
sj1400 is on a distinguished road

I understand - when I enter the diag mode via EVIC I see fuel levels listed for left and right tanks.. I was wrong - I asusmed the 2 were seperate tanks. THX

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
The LX body cars have one fuel tank that is saddled across the drive shaft.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

jwleo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My understanding is that the 26 gallon fuel tank does not do this. Is that correct? if so, I wonder why Dodge doesn't give us the option to have the 32 gallon tank replaced with the 26 if we desire. I am with you in regards to purchasing this truck. If this had happened on the test drive I would not have bought the truck. I reported this to Dodge yesterday and the person I spoke with said that was the first they had heard of the problem. Go figure.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:05 AM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 Sport Hemi
BigBlueEdge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj1400 View Post
There have to be two different things going on here. Liquid sloshing around when you come to a stop making a light thud noise from the rear is NOT the same as the 'feels like I was hit from behind' driveline thunk that is happening to some. As I mentioned elsewhere, the latter issue has been around with the HEMI and 545RFE trans since at least my 2005 Grand Cherokee. With that issue, it actually makes the vehicle move against the brake AFTER the vehicle has been stopped for a second or longer. My guess is that the Chargers with the issue also have that engine/trans combo.

Rob
Old 05-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hunter is on a distinguished road

I was searching for the clunking/thud after stoppping and came across this thread. I to have a 2010 Ram 1500, less than week old.

It happens only when I break hard, if I am coming to a light and it changes and have to stop sudden, then there is the thud about 1 second after a complete stop. If I stop slowly and hardly use the break nothing happens. I thought it would be the hill start assist engaging as it only happens when I press the break hard. but then as some have said 3/4 tank does it too. As it seems to have started around the 3/4 tank mark.

Cause the dealership let me take it over night before I bought it, the truck only had 1/4 tank, and ran perfect. After taking possesion I filled up the truck and it still ran perfect, now at 3/4 of a tank it seems to be doing it. As I am not the only person with this problem, I will see what happens when I get down to 1/2 tank and so on.

I have no idea what size tank I have, is there a way of finding out? I pay 1.14 per litre in gas, and it took about $120-$125 to fill so I am going to assume the 121 litre tank, is there away to actually confirm this?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:58 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you can find out by looking at the window sticker that was on your truck, look at the OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT part, about 5 lines up from the TOTAL PRICE,

another thing that you can do is, take that window sticker into the dealerships parts dept., it has the VIN # on it, request a print out of what your truck came with, my print out was 3 pages long & has everything that was on my truck when i drove it off the lot, including their code for the parts.
like NFX 32 gallon fuel tank
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 05-28-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: additional info