DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: dark grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
460hpmach1 is on a distinguished road
Default don't know what you call this for towing

ok i'm new to the truck world. and i'm needing to know what this part is call and where the best place to look for one at, i got told you can buy em from uhaul. but i have the normal bumper with hitch, but i was wanting the one that goes underneath the rear bumper that is call (i think) class 3 reciver hitch. i think that is what its called. so i need to know the proper name and where the best place to find one, i'm planning on pulling my car on a flat bed trailer or enclosed and was needing to know what that item is so i can buy it. thanks

ASh
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2010, 12:21 PM
erm

"receiver hitch" is correct. They mount to the truck frame in the rear. You can get them online, at your local truck accessory story and places like your UHaul stores.

To tow something that obscures your truck's rear lights, you'll need lights on your trailer and a wiring harness with connector to plug in the trailer wiring to your truck's lighting.

It's all pretty much plug and play these days.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:26 PM
erm

Some things to consider when towing:

1. Your hitch class needs to be able to tow the load and handle the tongue weight.

2. Never tow more than your rated capacity. Your truck has a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) which is the combined weight of your loaded truck (truck, passengers, fuel, cargo) + the weight of your trailer + the weight of what's in or on your trailer.

3. Heavier loads require trailer brakes and a controller in your truck to make those brakes work in conjunction with your truck brakes.

4. Read up on different classes of receiver hitches. Determine the tongue weight of your load and overall weight of the loaded trailer. Weigh your truck, loaded. Then do the math.

5. Many trucks will be rated at a higher GVWR when pulling a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer vs. a tow behind attached to a receiver hitch.

Just some things to consider and get all confused about. If you need help with all this, holler.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:26 PM

i think this is the right part i'm looking for they don't cost that much
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...500-hitch.html

now with mine being the 5.7L and having the tow/haul button would that mean it already has the set up for the lights on it?

ASh
Old 05-23-2010, 12:28 PM
erm

Look at your back bumper and a connector there for trailer lights.

Yes, that is a class III receiver hitch for your truck. Make sure that your trailer tongue weight and overall weight doesn't exceed the rating of a class III hitch.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:28 PM

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460hpmach1 View Post
i think this is the right part i'm looking for they don't cost that much
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...500-hitch.html

now with mine being the 5.7L and having the tow/haul button would that mean it already has the set up for the lights on it?

ASh
look on or under the bumper, it may need to be wired up since you dont have the towing package
Old 05-23-2010, 12:31 PM

this is what they said bout the class 3

Tow up to 5,000 lbs with this Quality S Class 3 Dodge Ram 1500 trailer hitch. Custom made to fit the Ram, this hitch a has 2 inch square receiver-style opening to accept various ball mount heights. This trailer hitch includes all required mounting hardware. Simple "no drill" design makes installation quick and easy. All Dodge Ram trailer hitches are powder coated for lasting durability.

the car weight is bout 3400lbs
Old 05-23-2010, 12:33 PM

well i will have to have the wife check for me cuz i'm in iraq and hard to go look right now,

ASh

thanks a bunch guys i may go with a class 4 just to be on the safe side
Old 05-23-2010, 12:34 PM

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460hpmach1 View Post
well i will have to have the wife check for me cuz i'm in iraq and hard to go look right now,

ASh

thanks a bunch guys i may go with a class 4 just to be on the safe side
its not only the hitch you have to worry about for towing capacity
Old 05-23-2010, 12:35 PM
erm

Just because the hitch can handle up to 5,000 pounds it doesn't mean your truck can (GVWR).

You gotta understand how the whole towing a load thing works or you'll burn up your truck, the brakes, break the trans, or worse yet, end upside down off the side of the road. I've seen it happen.