DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram QC 4X4 Hemi
Trim Level: 4X4 SLT Hemi
Color: Light greystone
Rep:54
Boubou will become famous soon enough
Default What performance mods and why??

New to this and I can't install any of it, I'll have to pay the pros to get the work done.
I've been reading here about cold air intakes, chips, exhausts and the likes. Why should or would I want to do this? what are the advantages and disadvantages of getting these mods? Are there others?
What are the best ones to do in what order?
Keep in mind, I will be pulling a travel trailer in a year or so as well.
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:656
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

most everyone wants something that performs better... a byproduct sometimes is a more efficient engine an drivetrain which can in some ways enhance longevity and mpg's. For what your asking, here is what i would suggest doing. First off, buy a programmer, since you not gonna seriously tear into your engine, go with the superchips 3865. They have better tranny support then any other programmer hands down. After that is a toss up between the cai and catback exhaust (no flowmaster)..but eventually get both. Since you mentioned that you are gonna tow, upgrade your gears to 4.10's. At this point you can stand pat with these 4 mods and you'd probably be happy. If your gonna take next steps...consider efan, a 2600 tq converter, cooler tstat (either 180, 190 or 195)
Old 05-23-2010, 10:19 PM
erm

The basic three are:

Intake
Exhaust
Programmer

And why? HorsePower 101:

The internal combustion engine is, basically, a big air pump. More air in + more air out = more power. Simple as that.

More air in (and colder air vs. hot air) provides more combustion oxygen to the engine. Cooler air makes for better fuel/air mixes and atomization when introduced to the combustion chamber.

Now it follows that more air in requires more air out, hence the suggestion on headers and freer flowing exhaust. More air in without more air out almost totally negates the benefits of more air in. You have open up both ends up to reap the rewards.

Programmers.

Most factory program settings are very conservative, driven by fuel economy standards that are levied on manufacturers by regulatory agencies. As such, your vehicle's stock program sets your combustion cycle to a lean condition. This means your engine is right on the verge of knock retard, where the knock sensors read a knock (pre-detonation) and retard the timing and fuel, robbing you of power. I firmly believe this is not only detrimental to efficient operation but it can be harmful to the engine.

A programmer alters this condition by remapping fuel delivery curves (it richens the mix) and adjusting spark & timing to remove the lean condition, thereby reducing or eliminating the knock retard condition a stock program inherently sets for mileage purposes.

MDS & Mods:

I've seen no definitive numbers on whether or not MDS works. What I have seen, and experienced, is when an aftermarket exhaust system is installed and the engine goes into MDS mode, it drones terribly. There are two methods to avoid this condition. Turn off MDS with the programmer, or, install an exhaust system that has a resonator (or two resonators, one on each tailpipe if a dual system is installed) to eliminate the drone.

Conclusion:

Any of these mods will work with any internal combustion engine. They are the basic building blocks for improving engine performance, driveability and efficiency.

The test, for you, is pick what works best for you. First, you have to decide whether or not factory intake and exhaust works for you. If not, modify them.

Then, does the engine perform to your satisfaction? If not, adding the intake and exhaust will help but you will not totally realize their full potential until you eliminate the factory program compromises.

So have fun reading up on available mods, enjoy the discussions and draw your own conclusions.

As for me, my experiences with better intake/exhaust/programmers has been very positive on the HEMI and other engines.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:36 PM

What are the exhaust mods for other than for big noise?
forgive my ignorance, this sounds confusing, so I've got to keep up with my reading
Old 05-23-2010, 10:39 PM

where is the best place to get these mods in Ontario Canada I wonder
Old 05-23-2010, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:656
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
forgive my ignorance, this sounds confusing, so I've got to keep up with my reading
..magnaflow catback system is a good performing exhaust, you can save money by finding an independent muffler shop and asking you to build a exhaust using a magnaflow muffler..
Old 05-23-2010, 11:02 PM
erm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
An exhaust mod is usually made to move more air out quicker, enhancing performance. The reason most aftermarket exhaust systems sound louder is that they have less material in the muffler making them less restrictive to air flow.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:06 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:63
2007Ram1500 will become famous soon enough

got a question for ya maddog! if i get a CAI and a programmer would i have to change my exaust from a glasspack to something else to get more power or can i still use that?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:09 PM
erm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007Ram1500 View Post
got a question for ya maddog! if i get a CAI and a programmer would i have to change my exaust from a glasspack to something else to get more power or can i still use that?
You can start with that but I suggest that you should do the exhaust eventually to take full advantage of the CAI and the programmer. They all work with one another to improve performance.

Look at it this way...you won't be taking advantage of the more air in if you can't get more air out. And it follows that you won't take full advantage of the new fuel curves and timing available with the programmer until you can move the air totally through the system.

But you will notice an improvement with the CAI and programmer for sure.

I just tend to do them all at once and revel in the new found HP and torque.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:15 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:63
2007Ram1500 will become famous soon enough

ok i was just wondering! im getting killed out here by these dam chevys cuase with my 4.7 im only layin down 235HP and its a good amount but i am an HP fiend and would love to have around 300 to 325 is that possible with just the CAI and Programmer