DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute
Default brad12kx - Mod2 - Electric Tailgate Lock

Well, after a week of interruptions, I finally got to spent some time in the Mod bay. Yesterday, I installed the Mopar Electric Tailgate Lock.
P/N 82211668AB

I will be adding details and pix over the next couple of days showing the complete install. Have way too many pictures, so some serious editing is required. If you are interested in a detail that I did not include, or what additional pictures of some specific thing, let me know, as I may have it, and it just didn't make it past the editing table.

Installment 1 - The package -

Impressive packaging - Bet there is no long term environmental effects here !

What's in the Bag....glad you asked -

Tailgate before electric lock -

Tailgate after electric lock -

What....were you actually expecting it to look different ?

..... To Be Continued ....

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Haha, I think it looks better

Cool mod
Old 05-25-2010, 03:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Deep Water Blue Two Tone
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

I think it makes the truck look faster! I've had mine sitting in the garage for a few weeks but haven't had the time to install it. I'm sure others would like to hear any issues you had or methods you used that maybe made installation easier from what the manual stated.

.[/I]

Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Rep:2217
iRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice George! Passenger door looks great!
Old 05-25-2010, 03:43 PM

Rep:10
BigBlueEdge is on a distinguished road

Is this an aftermarket accessory only or do some models come with it as a factory-installed option?

Rob
Old 05-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Just some guy in Canada

brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Installment 2 - Rip it Apart! -

Note - Some of the pictures and descriptions are stating the obvious, or at least I would think their obvious, but were included....just in case....

Note 2 - Although not all of the tailgate related pictures show the direction of the front of the vehicle, but trust me. I was standing behind the truck when I took them, and never had the camera up side down.

Tools used for Mod -

Tailgate....Open -

The 8 screws that hold the inspection cover on - T30 driver - Note the plastic washers.....don't loose these or the screws will scratch the paint when put back in -

Tailgate with inspection cover removed -

Closeup of area where you will be working, c/w information on where the front of the truck is -

Unclip the rods and move out of the way. Remove the 2 nuts that hold the tailgate handle in place and the mechanism to the back of it. Careful to hang on to the handle so it doesn't drop and scratch your paint. You will need an 8mm socket for this.
NOTE - I unplugged the backup camera cable, but later discovered that this was not necessary -

Lift out the mechanism, then remove the 2 bolts that hold the key lock in place and lift it out as well. This what you should have -

.... To be continued ....

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 05-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge View Post
Is this an aftermarket accessory only or do some models come with it as a factory-installed option?

Rob
After market only.....
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this was going to be a factory option in the near future....possibly 2011 !?!?

Old 05-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Installment 3 - Use the parts from the bag -

Drill the holes in the arm as described in the instruction sheet. 5/32" is the drill size. Here is a simple jig I used for the drilling operation -

After drilling -

Now pop rivet the triangular piece on. Note the angle of the rivets !!!
I drilled the holes exactly as shown in the instruction sheet. As it turned out, that angle of the rivets did not have a negative affect -

Now mount the electric actuator on the bracket. Note the actuator sits on top of the bumps -

Now for the part that was the biggest pain in this whole process....putting the mechanism back in the tailgate with the extra pieces. After completing this process, I think I know why this item is not available factory installed

First install the mechanism piece you originally took out, and put the nut loosely on the left stud to hold the stuff in place -

Now slid in the bracket with the electric actuator, but have it turned 90deg clockwise from it's final mounting position so that you can 'pop' the actuator nose through the slotted hole in the triangular piece you pop riveted to the mechanism arm -

Now with some difficulty, and a calm demeanor, rotate the new bracket into position. While rotating the bracket, slip the lock under and through the braket, ensuring the tail of the lock sticks through the big hole in the mechanism arm. The small arm on the left of it, sits 'on top' of the original mechanism over the mounting stud. The bracket should end up on top of the key lock, with the keylock properly positioned in it's hole -

At this point you can install the nut on the right hand mounting stud. Keep both nuts slightly loose to make it easier to install the lock bolts -

Now for the best part - bolting the lock back in....Now would be a good time to take a break, have smoke or a beer or anything that calms you. This is the part that makes me wonder how they could ever offer this as factory installed, because it quite simply.....takes time. If you drop the screws multiple time during installation....that's normal. The angle is bad, and everything is in the way. Here the tool of choice is a 1/4" drive ratchet and an 8mm deep socket -

Next up - Wiring

Old 05-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4X4 Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:2453
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Great addition and very nice picture writeup.
BT CC / Hood Kit, LED Tails, Recon 3rd Brake & Xtreme LightBar, Black Aluminum Side Steps, Leer 700, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, MOPAR Valve Caps, Lighted RAM hitch cover, Front Tow Hooks and Bed Post Hide-a-Hooks, Tints (20% frt, 35% rear and slider), Painted Engine Cover/Brake Calipers, K&N Drop in,OEM Fender Flares/ bug deflector, FM 40, SC Cortex, Oracle H11 LED Heads, 4000k Putco Fogs, LED Interior Lights, Honeycomb Grill, Bilstien 5100's.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Just some guy in Canada

SPECIAL NOTE - Forgot to mention in the previous installment, when putting the new bracket with electric actuator in place, it should be above the cable for the rear view camera....Sorry about the omission!

Installment 4 - Wiring and what does my truck look like underneath? -

Not that I haven't already deviated a bit from the installation instructions that came with the kit, but here I made a few deviations that I believe are very much worth the little extra effort. The final outcome gives a close to factory look without ripping apart factory harnesses to run the line inside them.

The kit wiring contains 2 harnesses. A short on to go from the electric actuator to the tailgate/truck box seam, and the other to continue the run to the engine compartment...and most specifically, the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module)

After connecting the short harness to the electric actuator, route it through the same opening as the rear view camera cable. It's a little finiky, but you can get through the tailgate and out the bottom beside the camera cable. I had to reach in the bottom hole and lift the 'easy lift' tension rods out of the way to get the connector through -

I then unwrapped the tape holding the camera cable to the box insert -

Attached the electric cable to the insert cap and re-taped both cables in place. I aligned the 2 connectors to make for easy insertion in the box -

Untied the electric lock cable from the attachment clip, and re-tied at a new location so the electric lock cable would be the same length as the camera cable. Tie wrapped the electric lock cable to the factory camera cable, pushing the extra cable length into the tailgate (~8" of slack) -

Slipped the connector from the long cable from the kit through the hole with the camera cable, connected both connectors and snapped the cable insert cover into the box. This ended up looking near factory, and both connections are assessable the same way -

SPECIAL NOTE - Now is a really good time to open the hood, and remove the negative cable from the battery!

Then under the back of the truck, I routed the new cable with the factory camera cable, leaving the same amount of slack so that if I ever remove the tailgate, both cables will react the same -

Just another picture of the same -

At this point, as I'm adjusting the creeper to make it easier to navigate under the truck......IT STARTED!!!!
I guess I rolled onto the remote a couple of times....specifically on the remote start button.....
I did not have to slide out from under the truck. during the adrenaline rush, it appears I rolled rapidly out from under the truck, and was now situated about 15 from it........Yah.....

I then followed the factory harness...exactly.....down the entire frame, with all it's bends and jogs, placing a tie wrap about every 12". They give you 22 in the kit, so yo have lots! When I got to the back of the drivers wheel well, I discovered a 'channel' behind the fender liner with a harness in it that lead right up to the back side of the battery. I was able to route the cable behind the battery inside the fender (factory cables there) and came out at the TIPM. I removed the TIPM using the information supplied in the kit. This picture is actually an 'After' picture, but does show the the cable entering the TIPM area -

Next - TIPM wiring connecions