DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno on Slate
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
hpc3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hpc3
Default Adding a VES to a 2010 model - what is and isn't documented =)

OK, with the help of my new very best friend and future tech Earl here we have the Mopar VES(non DVD unit, just screen) connected on the CAN and working, no thanks to the instruction sheet that is circa 10/08 for the very first 2009s.

The physical install was not too bad, the roof cutout was backwards though(good thing I checked before cutting) and short of getting access to all the stuff under the headliner its not a bad install. I did cheat though and didn't drop the headliner entirely(requires pulling all three pillars per side, visors, rear hooks etc... I just dropped the passenger rear and cabled from there to the dash).

Anyway - the instructions correctly identify the RearView camera pins that need to be moved to the new plug(white A/V cable, pins 3,4,5). This is pretty easy. They don't mention though the 8 UCI/iPod pins that need to be moved from the large gray radio plug(primary power/CAN plug, pins 3,4,5,6 and 17,18,19,20) to the new plug. Once we moved these the iPod powered up and was back online.

In order to get the VES on the CAN you have to have the dealership register/update the truck throug the wiTECH utility. After this the VES button appears on the radio but is greyed out. It will remain greyed out since there is no secondary DVD drive in the screen unit/controller to show as an active device. I may add one from a Charger or other vehicle at a later date(there are plugs in the screen for another input) but today we'll just be using the MyGig DVD player for the VES. The VES button will activate though if you have a camera, game system, iPod, etc... on the new AUX jacks that the VES install adds(these are 3 RCA inputs on the back of the rear console, between the seat heater buttons and vents). You manage the VES by selecting <MENU> button and then <VES Options> on the MyGig.

The VES has two chanels(1 and 2) selectable on the remote and headsets and has these sources: AM, FM, SAT, HDD, DISC, Front AUX, Rear AUX, and controls for each with the remote. Obviously 1 and 2 cannot each watch a separate DVD but you can have iPod for the front/speakers and then FM for Chanel 1 and SAT for Channel 2(both by headphones) and the remote can control the FM and SAT functions based on what position it is in (either Chan1 or Chan2). You can also control what source the two channels has from the front MyGig as well. Pretty cool and 1/2 the price of the factory unit. I didn't care about SatTV or the extra DVD in mine so... the reason I just went with the Mopar unit.

I put my AllGig in this afternoon and its all buttoned up again, most of my mods are finished. I'll get pics up of this as well as the grille, steps, exhaust, and debadged sides asap.

Let me know if questions.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Caliber
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Silver
Rep:41
UN4GTBL is on a distinguished road

Nice.

Any pics of it?

Wanting a new Ram...
Old 05-28-2010, 09:06 PM

Default I'll get some up tomorrow or Sunday for the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4GTBL View Post
Nice.

Any pics of it?
Haven't had much time to play the past few days. I did just get my flares back and on tonight. Will have a pic up on those in a few minutes...
Old 05-30-2010, 12:12 AM

Default VES Pics:

Two channels for passengers... selectable on the remote and headphones. Pretty cool that the RER MyGig is capable of 3 sources at a time...

Factory unit/integration at less than 1/2 the price(sacrificing the 2nd DVD player and SAT TV, neither of which I'd ever use)

Dual channel display with one on movie/DVD:

Selectable sources for the two rear channels. They'll run anything attached to the headunit and VES AUX port except the iPod. I loaded about 1/2 my iPod on the MyGig for rear song listening. You can also lock the rear controls from your 7yr old playful daughter =)

Still have suspension and tires to do at some point. I think I may lower this one in the rear vs the front level. Guess I'll drive it a while and think about it some more.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:17 AM
erm

That's looking really nice!
Old 05-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Cummins 4X4
Trim Level: 2500 Heavy Duty
Rep:10
URNMIWAY is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpc3 View Post
OK, with the help of my new very best friend and future tech Earl here we have the Mopar VES(non DVD unit, just screen)

Let me know if questions.
Hey HPC3..... what is the Mopar part # you used for this screen, I also would like to do the same, I also noticed that you have a sunroof ..... any tricks or watchouts!! when cabling or mounting the screen near the sunroof ?
Thanks in Advance
Rob
Old 05-30-2010, 10:23 PM

Default Here's the Mopar kit: 82211617AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1B4ME View Post
Hey HPC3..... what is the Mopar part # you used for this screen, I also would like to do the same, I also noticed that you have a sunroof ..... any tricks or watchouts!! when cabling or mounting the screen near the sunroof ?
Thanks in Advance
Rob
http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...=3028&pc=55229

You'll need to check PNs though because they sell different kits for sunroof/no-sunroof and console w-buckets/bench seats. The screen is probably all the same but the mounting and accessory AUX mounts would be different between all the kits.

On mine I couldn't tell which direction the cut-out stencil was supposed to be in, it had direction arrows on it but had a sticker placed over them with the arrow pointing the opposite way. Turns out it was labelled wrong for my truck(you'll see the roof mount bars when the headliner is down some) so I estimated on the location and then made a few smaller cuts to make sure I wasn't going to make a mess.

The only real issue I ran into is the instructions state to drill 5 or 6 holes in the sunroof frame to run zip-ties through for mounting the cables... I chose not to do this. Instead I zip-tied the video cables(2, one to the radio and one to the new AUX plugs you'll be adding at the rear of the center console) to the cable bundle glued to the pass side of the headliner. I did have a few rubs with the sunroof blind when fully extracted(on the new cables) but fixed this when my Tech and I were working on the wiring last week. Its not a hard install(now that the wires are figured out) but it is a PITA working with the headliner.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:03 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Caliber
Trim Level: SXT
Rep:41
UN4GTBL is on a distinguished road

Awesome!

Definitely need to keep this in mind

Wanting a new Ram...
Old 05-31-2010, 03:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Cummins 4X4
Trim Level: 2500 Heavy Duty
Rep:10
URNMIWAY is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpc3 View Post
http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...=3028&pc=55229

You'll need to check PNs though because they sell different kits for sunroof/no-sunroof and console w-buckets/bench seats. The screen is probably all the same but the mounting and accessory AUX mounts would be different between all the kits.
HPC3..... I have the same set up as you, front buckets with sunroof, I did visit the link you provided but did not see any listing for just the monitor(screen only) all that is listed is with the integrated DVD player or headrest options..... can you provide the part # you used , I also called the parts dept. at the dealer I use and all they can see that is available is what is on the website
Thanks in Advance
Rob

Last edited by URNMIWAY; 05-31-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:26 AM

Default The pic they show is wrong. 82211617AB is the correct PN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1B4ME View Post
HPC3..... I have the same set up as you, front buckets with sunroof, I did visit the link you provided but did not see any listing for just the monitor(screen only) all that is listed is with the integrated DVD player or headrest options..... can you provide the part # you used , I also called the parts dept. at the dealer I use and all they can see that is available is what is on the website
Thanks in Advance
Rob
Read the description and price - list is $949 for just the screen and connection/headphone/remote kit. I think I got mine for $820ish from my dealer.

"Description: Production overhead 9" screen. For vehicles with sunroof and front bucket seats. Must have DVD-capable* radio (will not work with the RES radio).
Item Number: 82211617AB
MSRP*: $949.00"

The one in the pic is a DVD/Screen unit for a Durango or other vehicle, not a Ram FYI. If you give your parts guy/gal your VIN they should be able to chase the correct one for you.