DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Mod3 - Tow Hooks

41K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  jam5691 
#1 ·
First off I want to thank Rumbles1960 for the excellent post on installing tow hooks on the Gen 4 Ram Sport.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45741&highlight=2010+hooks
It lead to my purchase and subsequent successful installation of an option that I wanted, and could not order from the factory.
Thanks Rumbles - :rep:

As Rumbles post covers the installation so well, I will not do a tech write up, but will post a few pix to compliment Rumbles post, and a few more to show off my truck with the new tow hooks installed.

As I took many pictures to detail the process, If anyone is interested in any particular part, let me know and can provide you with the details and pix.

Pic 1 - The box....or at least the label that shows P/N, etc -

Pic 2 - What's in the Box -

Pic 3 - Before tow hooks -

Pic 4,5&6 - After tow hook installation -

As it turns out, the only reason they are not available from factory is the bumper filler plate (specific to the Sport) is NOT made with the cut outs! :Wow1:

Another astounding fact - Front suspension and Transfer case skid plates are not offered on the Sport, because they are part of the 'Protection Group'....which includes tow hooks. Therefore, you cannot factory order the skid plates, because you can't order tow hooks, because they don't make the plastic thing with a hole in each end :SHOCKED:......:LOL:

That my Ram friends, is an 'Executive' decision.....not an engineering or sales decision. :4-dontknow:

Coming soon to a Ramforumz Thread near you - "Mod 4 - Skid Plates"! :4-looney:

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice looking mod!! can't wait to see the skid plates!! stupid package deals anyways, how to tow hooks make a difference whether you get skid plates, it should be the other way around?? hahah :LOL:

#18 ·
mine was the same way, just carve out a bit plastic, trim it with a dremel, insert hooks
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
no biggie
nice job....then I spotted the Shovelhead ....<<<old shovelhead guy here too. I miss mine. Plan to ride next summer, not sure if I will get the newer street glide / road king / dresser type, or build another shovel...what to do ...:)

#4 ·
Hardest part of the tow hook install is getting the torque wrench in there after the tow hooks are in place. Not a lot of room for that, but nothing that a Snap-On ball universal couldn't handle.

#5 ·
Looks great Brad, nice job on the install and thanks for the pics! I agree with Ruffian, though, those "packages" can sometimes be a real PITA, especially if you're only looking for one or two things, it's either all or nothing, but still cheaper than buying each item individually.

- Cajun

#6 ·
Ain't that the truth!
Protection Package - $200
Tow Hook Kit - 140
Front Skid - 110
T-case skid - 140
Total parts - 380 for a 200 option!

Having a 2010 Sport with Protection Package - Priceless!....no wait...it was $380. :4-dontknow:

#12 ·
The tow hooks look awesome (especially on a Black Ram!)
Has anyone actually used their tow hooks though? From what I can see there doesn't appear to be much room to get a towing hook (or tow rope) in the opening. Looks like doing so could potentially cause paint damage (scratches, etc.)

It's definitely something I would like to do (even if it's only for show).

#13 ·
I use mine a lot. There is actually more room/clearance on the Sport, then on the Rams that come with tow hooks, as the front fascia at the tow hook position is set back about 1/2". :)

#15 ·
You have to cut out the face plate. They don't offer it with the cut outs for the Sport model. I believe this also affects the R/T and the Express. Not to worry though...if you butch up the face plate, they are cheap...even through Dodge. :smileup:

#17 ·
I used an ordinary box cutter (Utility Knife) with a new blade. I then used a fine flat mil file to shape the edges to perfection, then lightly flashed the edges with a propane torch to hide the fine file marks. I really wanted it to look like it was that way from the factory....and am very happy with the results. :)

#33 ·
Thank You Brad!

I used the Razor utility Knife on my 2014 & a propane touch (bunson burner) to keep heating it up to cut the removed facia. Reinstalled the facia and then the Hooks. I went inboard on both hooks. Not correct, but on the 2014 Sport ya don't have room to hook up a tow strap otherwise.

#22 ·
For those that installed this. Did the bracket with the two bolts already come tightened? I ordered from eBay (take offs) and it all came disassembled and the instructions only mention the torque setting for the other bolts and the bolts already on the bumper.

Please help thanks.

#23 ·
Not 100% sure what you mean so here is pic of how mine were received from Mopar.

#25 ·
I have not tried this on a 2013 yet.

If anyone has, please post your results here. :)

#26 ·
I also wonder if this would work on the '13+ Sport. I noticed that the lower grille panel is shaped differently in my '14...

#27 ·
Anyone know the size of bolt that comes with the hooks I bought a bull bar and need to bolt the back in where you bolt the hooks but they sent me the wrong bolts they need to be fine thread but I don't know what size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.