DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Public Safety

Notices

Public Safety Special Interest Group for Police/Law Enforcement, Fire, and EMS Personnel! - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

On a related note....I didn't read this whole thread and don't know if anyone mentioned home security systems....but they are pretty much useless, and even if the cops come 5 minutes later (if your lucky), you're already face down on the ground.... I have a friend who used to work as an operator at one of the call centers and she said they were trained to basically ignore most alarm signals because they assume them to be false alarms, so unless you call them they won't call the cops most likely.....why not just call 911 in that case... "excuse me robber/murderer can we call time out please I need to call 911....."

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2011, 09:54 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:367
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Alarms are great for when you aren't at home but not the best when you are. The problem is that even after the alarm is activated the activation must travel to the call center who then have various procedures (including sometimes trying to call the residence or business) before they notify police. Then police have to be dispatched and get there. Yes, it would be good to have police on the way but that just isn't going to be good enough if someone with some really bad intentions is coming through your door or window.

So I have to agree. A good 12GA pump shotgun (preferrably loaded with buckshot) is the ultimate home defense and quality guns can be had new starting at around $200.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:28 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Q-cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Red
Rep:28
CJ.2007Ram is on a distinguished road

I have a 9 mm loaded with frangibles. Not supposed to penetrate walls but will shard when hitting a person and leave them pretty messed up.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:33 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
frangibles
Are those the ones that like split into shards after fired? I've also heard they have new ammunition that has like a plastic bead or something at the tip that when it impacts the bead splits the lead making the bullet expand....something like that anyway....sort of the same concept as a hollow point...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:20 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

Firearms are great if your willing to undergo some training and education on their usage...& criminal and civil laws..... For anyone who does not shoot alot a simple revolver is far better than any semi automatic that they cannot use when suddenly jolted awake, or who become so unfamilar with they can't remember how it works, or even how to check if it's loaded and ready to go, or on safe etc....Semi-autos require lots of training...so you can operate it, load it, and clear it in total darkness and at a moments notice, by instinct....a revolver you basiclly just pick up, aim, and pull the trigger.....shot guns can be great, but can easily be taken away from someone if they allow their attacker to get to close, and the wrong ammo can kill someone in another room also.....this is a big subject, and really requires more space and time than this forum is for....Been in Law Enforcement for some 36 years now, way too much stuff to get into here....find a good firearms training facility, read and talk to lots of people before deciding....guns are not for everyone, there are other alternatives also avalible
Old 08-18-2011, 07:27 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Q-cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Red
Rep:28
CJ.2007Ram is on a distinguished road

Theweavman is right; firearms are not for everyone. Firearms require great judgement and split second decisions that can possibly impact your life forever. For example, this is not a full list just a simple example, too jumpy and trigger happy can leave a friend our family member in grave danger, but being too apprehensive could mean the intruder takes it and uses on you. Definitely a lot to think about and consider.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red Crystal
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Brian426 is on a distinguished road

You might also want to consider keeping several large cans of wasp spray (the kind that will shoot about 20 feet) in strategic locations around the house. Works really well on annoying pests.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:22 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

I'm with maddog on this one. Granted a shotgun isn't too manuverable inside of a house. I have asked many people and all of them say the bigger the gun the scarier. I keep my Benelli Nova 12 next to my dresser with a box of double 0 buck in my nightstand just in case. My dad keeps every other gun locked up so I felt that I needed at least one out. I know my gun is huge, I use it for duck hunting, but I'm sure it will get the job done.

Also sorry to head about that terrible experience.
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Richie

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:12
LUBINATOR is on a distinguished road
Default Best

A pump shotgun is absolutely best.

get a 20 gauge so it is easily controlled. Just the sound of the slide being cocked tells even a moron uh oh!!!! Plus you can load with light shot, it won't go through walls, but will knock back a human body.

First round light shot, that's the warning. Then double O buck in case he's stupid enough to stick around.

I keep my Mossberg 590 9 shot, with the bayonet attached handy just for an occasion like above.
RAM 1500 SLT QC 2009 INFERNO RED, ARE Lift Lid ,Spray on Bed Liner, K&N Drop In, Pioneer DEH P8400UB, Alpine Amp, Mopar Kicker sets in all doors and dash, 2 Polk 10" Subs, Polk AMP, SteelCraft Nerf Bars, Mopar Fog Lights, CalTrend Seat Covers, WeatherTech Front Mats, Putco SS Fender Liners, SuperBumper SS Hitch Step/Impact Absorber, Onki Aegis SS Center Guard, PIAA 2100 driving lights
Old 08-21-2011, 06:15 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2010-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 383hp 400lb/ft (2500/3500)
Rep:49
glcarter is on a distinguished road

I would have to go with the dog unless you are willing to train and take responsibility for a gun. Most people I know that keep a gun by their bed would hesitatate to use it long enough to allow an intruder to take control of it. If you go with a gun don't forget a good tacticle flashlight to go with it to identify the person. Be sure to train in a variety of light conditions with both strobe lighting and slash lighting. I keep my 1911 by my bed with a good flashlight by it.

Last edited by glcarter; 08-21-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: spelling