DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Public Safety

Notices

Public Safety Special Interest Group for Police/Law Enforcement, Fire, and EMS Personnel! - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:364
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

I agree with many of the things said before. Some of the important things I think are:
* Are you mentally prepared to shoot someone standing right infront of you, if you feel in danger or threatened? Remember, you are possibily looking at them face to face when you squeeze the trigger, and once you pull the trigger there is no taking it back or kings X. Your shooting at body mass--not trying to wound someone. You stop pulling the trigger when they are on the floor and pose no more danger to you.
* Have you practiced enough with the weapon of your choice to feel comfortable with how it operates(or doesn't operate) in daylight and in the dark?
* Are you willing to spend countless hours on the range practicing?
* Are you fully aware of the capabilities of your weapon of choice--will it go through the wall if I miss, will it knock down an intruder?
I agree a shotgun is an excellent weapon for home defense. I personally use #4 buck because I know what the results are. I also have slugs available. Most shotguns have a substantional recoil, and that is why you must practice with them. Most of the time a second shot should not be necessary however you should be prepared to shot a second time if necessary. I agree on the sound of chambering a round in a shotgun. It has a sound like no other, and is usually reconized by most people. It will scare many away, but not always--don't count on it. My shotgun is fully loaded, one in the chamber, with the safety on. Thats my personal preference, your might be different depending on the residents in your house. Think twice before buying a gun---there is a lot that goes with it--dogs are a better option in many cases.
Jay
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2010-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 383hp 400lb/ft (2500/3500)
Rep:49
glcarter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
I agree with many of the things said before. Some of the important things I think are:
* Are you mentally prepared to shoot someone standing right infront of you, if you feel in danger or threatened? Remember, you are possibily looking at them face to face when you squeeze the trigger, and once you pull the trigger there is no taking it back or kings X. Your shooting at body mass--not trying to wound someone. You stop pulling the trigger when they are on the floor and pose no more danger to you.
* Have you practiced enough with the weapon of your choice to feel comfortable with how it operates(or doesn't operate) in daylight and in the dark?
* Are you willing to spend countless hours on the range practicing?
* Are you fully aware of the capabilities of your weapon of choice--will it go through the wall if I miss, will it knock down an intruder?
I agree a shotgun is an excellent weapon for home defense. I personally use #4 buck because I know what the results are. I also have slugs available. Most shotguns have a substantional recoil, and that is why you must practice with them. Most of the time a second shot should not be necessary however you should be prepared to shot a second time if necessary. I agree on the sound of chambering a round in a shotgun. It has a sound like no other, and is usually reconized by most people. It will scare many away, but not always--don't count on it. My shotgun is fully loaded, one in the chamber, with the safety on. Thats my personal preference, your might be different depending on the residents in your house. Think twice before buying a gun---there is a lot that goes with it--dogs are a better option in many cases.
Jay
The thing that I don't like about using a long gun for home defense is it is way to easy to lead with the gun while sweeping the house. If the barrel comes around the corner before the eyes, it is very easy to have the gun grabbed. Then you have a struggle for control.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:04 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

My girlfriend is a 3rd degree black belt in tang soo do and one of the things that has impressed me is their demonstrations of disabling a person with a gun. If someone tries to disarm you while you are pointing a gun to them they can easily knock the gun away before you can react and pull the trigger, with the idea that they are even prepared to actually pull the trigger.
I guess I should describe my home defense as a 12 ga. To my right and a ninja with a 20ga. To my left haha it gets even worse cause I am pretty positive she would shoot some one before I did( I keep trying to get her to a 12 ga. But she loves her 20ga and then she just rubs in she uses a 7mm mag for riffle season lol, I usually let it go then)
Old 08-25-2011, 08:01 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
My girlfriend is a 3rd degree black belt in tang soo do and one of the things that has impressed me is their demonstrations of disabling a person with a gun. If someone tries to disarm you while you are pointing a gun to them they can easily knock the gun away before you can react and pull the trigger, with the idea that they are even prepared to actually pull the trigger.
I guess I should describe my home defense as a 12 ga. To my right and a ninja with a 20ga. To my left haha it gets even worse cause I am pretty positive she would shoot some one before I did( I keep trying to get her to a 12 ga. But she loves her 20ga and then she just rubs in she uses a 7mm mag for riffle season lol, I usually let it go then)
I'd hate to get in an argument with her! lol

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Banned

Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

One night i thought it would be a good idea to have her show my friends how he can kick a cup off of my head at a party, looking back on it and the condition I was in I'm really surprised she dist just go for my head haha
Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

hey wow just saw you're in pgh, not to throw the thread off topic but....where about? I grew up in USC, we visit sometimes to stop by kennywood my favorite park.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:56 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:364
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

IMHO If you chose to protect yourself with a firearm the most important thing to remember is training and practice and then MORE training and practice and then MORE training and practice. Once you know it all, you can start to learn. An expert is someone 300 miles from home and carries a briefcase.
Jay
Old 08-29-2011, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2011 CC 2wd
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:26
Lie2me is on a distinguished road

This may not necesarily be an option for renters, but look into getting burglar bars and maybe a monitored alarm system. I love the fact that I have burglar bars on my house in El Paso. Trim the trees and shrubs back from the entrance to the house and garage---and plenty of outdoor lighting that covers those dark spots where folks can hide. It makes me feel safer. Dogs are great, especially those with a nice deep tone...but don't do a lot of good when they are in the backyard. My biggest issue is coming home to find the bad guy holding my home defense weapon. I also have issues with those moments that most folks are most vulnerable....garage door closing, opening the front door, etc. Home defense is more than just a hadgun/shotgun....keep the bastids out of your house to begin with(if possible)....and yes, the persistant criminals who make it inside, well, they deserve whatever they get. If I EVER find someone in my house, I will make the complete assumption that they are willing to die for whatever reason brought them there... Period. "Terrified, scared for my life."

Concealed Carry Permit and lots of training, there is no substitute for quality & repetitive training.

Last edited by Lie2me; 08-29-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:22 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

The problem with bars, on doors and windows, is that while they may help keep unwanted guests out, in an emergency, like a fire, they also tend to keep you trapped inside
Old 08-30-2011, 12:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
hey wow just saw you're in pgh, not to throw the thread off topic but....where about? I grew up in USC, we visit sometimes to stop by kennywood my favorite park.
I'm from plum but live out towards indiana now. Small world,I have family that lives in bethel park. As much as I hate the city, the USC/Lebo area is beautiful