DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-31-2010, 12:02 PM
erm

Default Audio Upgrade Help

I am contemplating an audio upgrade for the 300, with a corresponding swap of my 300's REC NAV over to the RAM.

Yeah, I know I've already put a REC NAV in the RAM but that's a long, sad story. I know the REC in the 300 has no issues.

I've picked the components after a lot of research. Now I am shopping for best price on the components. However, I am not sure what else I need to do all the wiring and where to mount the amp, inline fuse, etc... so I thought I'd solicit some input here and tap into your collective wisdom.

Here are the components:

* Kenwood Excelon DNX9960 double din in-dash nav head unit
* Kenwood XR4S 4 channel amp
* Hertz HSK 163 component speaker system, 2" tweeters for the dash and 6.5" round units for the front doors.

I will leave in the 6X9's I have in the rear deck.

Other that some simple plug & play swaps, I've never wired in a system before.

So to interface with the stock harness, CAN BUS & steering wheel controls, I believe I need:

* Pac Audio C2R-CHY4
* Pac Audio SWI-JACK
* Pac Audio SWI-CAN

I know I'll have to get some adapters to mount the speakers in the dash and front doors.

I'm not sure how to retain my rear VES system operation through the Kenwood head unit.

But I'm not sure on what else I should get to wire this all up.

You input would certainly be helpful and welcomed.

I think the other things I need to get are:

* Amp power wiring - 4 ga?
* Inline fuse for amp power?
* Antenna adapter?
* VES interface? Would this be just some RCA's?
* Trim kit/trim ring for head unit?
* iPod integration cable?
* Aftermarkent NAV antenna or adapt stock connection?
* Dynamat kit for inner and outer door skins (2)

So I'm starting with no technical ability and even less knowledge so any input to my list of things and how to do this would be very much appreciated!!!
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Custom
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:1648
dodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
I am contemplating an audio upgrade for the 300, with a corresponding swap of my 300's REC NAV over to the RAM.

Yeah, I know I've already put a REC NAV in the RAM but that's a long, sad story. I know the REC in the 300 has no issues.

I've picked the components after a lot of research. Now I am shopping for best price on the components. However, I am not sure what else I need to do all the wiring and where to mount the amp, inline fuse, etc... so I thought I'd solicit some input here and tap into your collective wisdom.

Here are the components:

* Kenwood Excelon DNX9960 double din in-dash nav head unit Nice choice, love the fact that it has 24 bit DAC, 5V preout, 13 band EQ, and time alignment. Crossover capabilities seem pretty standard, but it has Garmin built in....major plus
* Kenwood XR4S 4 channel amp Nice choice, might be underpowering the Hertz a tad, but should be fine
* Hertz HSK 163 component speaker system, 2" tweeters for the dash and 6.5" round units for the front doors. I am a bit confused, the HSK 163 is a 3 way system...
I will leave in the 6X9's I have in the rear deck. Power the rear fill off the head unit for sure
Other that some simple plug & play swaps, I've never wired in a system before.

So to interface with the stock harness, CAN BUS & steering wheel controls, I believe I need:

* Pac Audio C2R-CHY4 Yes
* Pac Audio SWI-JACK Yes
* Pac Audio SWI-CAN Yes

I know I'll have to get some adapters to mount the speakers in the dash and front doors. Back to my question about the component set

I'm not sure how to retain my rear VES system operation through the Kenwood head unit. I am assuming you mean the rear camera? Kenwood offers this...CMOS-300/200, dunno if it will compatible with the factory one, but I don't see why not

But I'm not sure on what else I should get to wire this all up.

You input would certainly be helpful and welcomed.

I think the other things I need to get are:

* Amp power wiring - 4 ga? Yes
* Inline fuse for amp power? Yes, if thats the only amp, use a 60watt AGU style fuse
* Antenna adapter? Shouldnt need one
* VES interface? Would this be just some RCA's? Refer to earlier post
* Trim kit/trim ring for head unit? Head unit will come with a trim ring
* iPod integration cable? Kenwood's KCA-iP301V
* Aftermarkent NAV antenna or adapt stock connection? If you can keep the factory and adapt, that's what I would do
* Dynamat kit for inner and outer door skins (2) Dynamat is fine, I prefer Second Skin, Rammat, or Rattletrap

So I'm starting with no technical ability and even less knowledge so any input to my list of things and how to do this would be very much appreciated!!!
Any thing else sir???

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.....lightly modded

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 #3560.....lightly modded
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon....lightly modded (yeah right, it's a Jeep!)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8.....lightly modded
Old 05-31-2010, 01:23 PM
erm

Sorry, Jared. The Hertz speakers are a component system, 6.5" round + tweeter for the dash.

The part number is 163.4 and they come with a crossover.

Thanks for the input!

So do I need any other wiring? RCA's, power trigger wire, etc???
Old 05-31-2010, 01:34 PM

dodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant future

Ok, gotcha.....

I don't personally know how the interior is set up in the 300's, but I don't recommend having your tweeter that far away from the mid-woofer. You really should keep them within 12" of each other in a component set.....just my .02

Depending on where you are gonna put the amp (trunk, under seat, on roof) get a good set of rca's just long enough to reach said location. For that amp, assuming all you run is the comp set, you really only need one set, but if you are wanting to add more later, then get two.

Yes, you will need a 12V remote (trigger wire) coming from a switched 12v source. I prefer running a remote wire from the deck to the amp, but you don't have to if it will cause you too much trouble.

And then of course, you will need speaker wire from the amp either back to the head unit to utilize factory wiring, or you can run directly from the amp to each crossover, then to each speaker.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:41 PM
erm

Thank you!

I have no room under the dash or under the seats for the amp but I have this huge spare tire well in the trunk to mount it in. Also, my battery and an aux positive post and ground post are in the trunk so that's helpful. So I'll have to run some RCA's from the front to the back from the amp to the head unit plus some speaker wire.

So a trigger wire goes from the amp to the deck? That's doable even with the amp in the trunk. I can also run a 12V switched source from the lighter to the deck. That's a short run.

The space between the tweets and the door speakers has to be about 24 inches or so. Is that a real issue? I can relocate them to the doors (I think) and put them right next to the mids but was thinking I'd get a bit better soundstage with them up higher near the base of the windshield where the stock 3.5" units are.

Well, I'm researching the rest of the wiring I need.

Found a cool site... http://www.knukonceptz.com/ ... for wiring kits and other stuff you would normally need.

I figure I can save me almost $1400 by finding best price for the components online (both shops quoted close to full retail) and doing the install myself.

Last edited by erm; 05-31-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

What he said ^^^
Old 05-31-2010, 01:52 PM
erm

Is that all ya got, Daniel???

I'm really lost with respects to the misc. wiring I need, how to wire between the amp and head unit and what I need for that, how speakers are wired, how crossovers are used and wired, power wire for the amp, 12V trigger wiring for the head unit, all the PACAudio connectors (where, why, how) and all the rest of that.

Really don't know where to start but I'm willing to learn! This is a totally new experience for me.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:55 PM

Give me a call Michael, I will walk ya through it....

Old 05-31-2010, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Ah... ok. It isn't all that bad. Jared's the man with that stuff. Is that Hertz set bi-ampable?
Old 05-31-2010, 02:07 PM
erm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Ah... ok. It isn't all that bad. Jared's the man with that stuff. Is that Hertz set bi-ampable?
FMIDK