DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Wow I'm surprised they didn't come up with something reusable .
Old 06-09-2010, 02:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:39
09 RT RAM is on a distinguished road

They sealed mine....i have some hard glue that ran down the glass...sloppy work! Not named Denton dealer. Same clowns that told me to use synthetic blend due to break in. Huffines next time, Lewisville or Plano.....selling dealer.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab Sport
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:23
09 CrewCab is on a distinguished road
Angry Still leaking

Well we had a major down pour today, So I get into my truck and guess what all windows are fogged up and a nice wet puddle again! Same area but much more visible since it leaked down the seat belt and on the seat. Went right to dealer and explained the situation. Told them about the the black finger smudges from the reinstallation of the headliner also. Goes back in again tomorrow morning and they said this time it will go to the window installers to get resealed. The whole back window, and they will take care of replacing carpeting and removing the balck smudges from headliner. I hope this turns out better then the first time.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi Quad
Trim Level: SXT
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
KillJoy is on a distinguished road

So the majority of the leaks happen in the back window? I tried feeling around and I having felt anything went but I suspect there is a leak somewhere.

I keep getting my windsheild fogging on cold days with sun heating the cab up. Plus now that it's freezing I am getting frost on the inside windshield as well.

I AM SO FUDGING PISSED. I bought a new vechicle not to deal with crap like this.

Anthony
Pissed off 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi owner.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

the sealant leak problems can be from the third brake light ( rrt #09-096 ) goop on silicone, no replacement gasket available. Better to make your own using the original gasket as a pattern, NAPA & other places sell gasket material in sheets, thicker & thinner, & in several types of materials
or the rear window, sometimes the sealant gets an air bubble & a small area is missed, sometimes the machine is bumped & misses a spot

the other area in the past that leaks is the vents between the cab & the bed, near the place where the upper & lower cab body is welded together
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this guy had a similar problem & decided to fix it his own way'
Fixing the LEAKING rear window (3 steps)

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out why my 07 QC with power window is wet in the back. Have made changes, run the hose over the top and back, removed rear seats, etc.. It turns out the truck was leaking in two places 1) The 3rd Brake light 2) The sliding window track. My solution is not something I have read on the forums, so I thought I would share.

First things first, you need to fix the third brake light. The weatherstripping they use breaks down in less than two years and will start to pass water. Remove the light, remove the weatherstripping, and put a nice bead of clear silicone caulk around the entire light. Reinstall.

If the third brake light is leaking, the water will enter in the middle, and trickle down one or both side of the curved ledge (above the window). When it reaches the back corner, it will trickle down, behind the plastic interior trim (where seatbelts are mounted), down to the floor, and make its way to the tool bins under the rear seats. To test if it is (still) leaking, stuff a piece of paper between the headliner and the rear ledge. Run the hose, and if water is entering from above, the paper will get wet.

The bigger problem is the leaking power rear window. Run the hose over the top of the truck (or just onto the sliding window) and inside the truck, you will see the sliding channel fill with water. If this is the case, there are two things you can do.

First is to narrow the channel. On my window, there was alot of play at the bottom of the window. As a result, the window was never pressed up against the rubber and it would quickly pass water. When the channel fills up, it spills over (usually) on one of the sides depending on how truck is parked.

Test to see if there is any play with the window. If there is, use a small hammer. Place a screwdriver on side of channel that you want to narrow. Carefully tap the back of the screwdriver until the channel is narrower. You only need to do this at the part of the channel that aligns with the edge of the window when it is closed. THe channel is metal underneath the plastic coating.

If you go too far, you can bend the channel out with the screwdriver.

Also, use rubber/vinyl protectant on these pieces. Mine have started to dry out and I want them to last as long as possible.

I have run the hose over the back and no longer see any water leaking into the channel. However, the last thing I did was to install small drains under the rear channel.

Find a small straw (coffee swizzle), and drill two holes, one at each end of the channel. If you drill at an angle, it will drill though the cauk between the window and behind the channel. Cut small pieces of the straw for a drain. Coat the outside of the straw with sealant and push it down into the holes you have drilled. Now, if any water does make its way into the channel, it will drain out underneath the rear window. The holes you drill need to be exactly the same size as the straw you use. Also you need to use sealant around the straw or the water will drain into the truck. THe drains will flow small amounts of water, if there is a major leak around the rear window, they will not be able to keep up.

1) Fix rear brake light
2) Narrow sliding channel so there is no play, and window is held fast against the rubber.
3) Install small drains in bottom of channel.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hi,

Took it to the dealer. They said it was the 3rd Brake light leaking.

Hopefully that fixes the condensation on the inside. It was killing me that there was frost on the inside of the windshield.

Anthony (A little less pissed off )
Old 01-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Update,

Still not fixed.

Yesterday it was sunny and just freezing so I frost on the exterior and interior windsheild.

Took it to the dealer.

1. Leak experts say there is no water leaks in the car.
2. Techs are looking at it. A/C drain hose is fine.
3. They will look at it more tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

ndcart is on a distinguished road

I had this exact same problem. Took it in, and they resealed the third brake light. They said the TSB didn't apply to my specific truck, but it still leaked. Luckily, it fixed my problem.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Metallic Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
MoparBandit is on a distinguished road

THANK GOD FOR SEARCH!!
Just bought my 2nd ram 2 weeks ago, '03 QCSB and had a downpour last night and noticed it in the mirror while driving home, damn im so pissed but glad its not a freak of nature and repairable. Gonna check out the stealer-ship tomorrow an see what can be done
Old 04-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Disel 4X4
Color: Whie
Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
mudchick is on a distinguished road
Default third brake light leak

Gentleman,
I am the second owner of my Ram. Same issue has been recurring. Took to a glass place this morn, the showed me where water was coming in on the inside and recommended I go to a body man. And that this is a reaccuring issue with these trucks. Went to my body guy, he said, here's what's going on, and that "those guys" did not want to fool with it. He can fix it, as all of you recommended, but of course he will be upcharging me for "out-sourcing" to ANOTHER glass company. I bought this truck from a company that sold "work trucks"- the last fools that owned it sealed the upper brake light with silicone AND around the rear window!!! And I'm sure all of you know what silicone does ! Holds water and promotes rust on metal over time! These folks are idiots!!! Now I will have to have the silicone professionally removed, possibly the window-which is apt to break upon removing, to have it properly re-inserted and have a new gasket put around the third brake light of course!!
I asked my body guy why this is not a recall issue, he said, "because it does not pertain to safety". How sweet of Dodge to have this issue for years and continue to advertise their "tough" trucks and win awards!
I planned on keeping this thing until the wheels fall off! But if it rusts from the inside out, I'm screwed!! Geez!
So glad I'm not alone here and that I have found this great forum!! Thank you! If anypne has any more advice, feel free to inform me. This "somewhat mechanically inclined female" loves to learn!
Thank you again!
Mudchick :-)