DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum

Notices

Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum Wax on, Wax off! Chat about anything that gives you Carpal Tunnel or Tennis Elbow in here! ;)

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:12
three percent hero is on a distinguished road

Anytime you drag anything across the surface of your car, it can be detrimental to your paint. It all comes down to being careful, using the cleanest and safest mits, brushes, and towels possible, and rinsing away as much dirt as possible before touching anything to the surface of your car. Even the cleanest, safest washing tools can cause damage if there's dirt on your paint.
Sponsored links
Old 06-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Old 08-02-2010, 02:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
hemiram66 is on a distinguished road

I just like to give my ram a day spa and give her a good detail. I occasionally buff and wax her and have found no problems with the paint.I have to agree though that if your equipment is dirty you can scratch the paint. Always rinse your sponge when your done with a section and never use dirty microfiber. A part of a leaf will turn microfiber into sandpaper

Last edited by hemiram66; 08-02-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
rinnels69 is on a distinguished road

3%Hero---You nailed it! And if you want a true idea at how your paint should feel, take an afternoon and use a clay bar and the liquid it comes with and THEN give it a good wax job...the difference is INSANE especially if you have never clay barred your truck. I did this to my 04 Lightning (Sonic Blue) and it never looked better. The amount of crap that is on or in your paint will make you wonder how it got there.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 4x4 Sport
Color: Red
Rep:0
Kleeeen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
You won't have that problem as long as you carry a good coat of wax on it .
Exactly. I have had the ram for 1 1/2 months 1200 miles and 15 coats of wax=I'm covered
Old 11-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 QC-4.7
Color: DK Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:68
OldMoparMan63 will become famous soon enough

I will agree, in that, there's a right way and a wrong way to do anything.

Using a mit on the body, after it's been used on the tires/wheels is a no-no. People do it all the time. Using certain kinds of towels, or towels more then once can leave swirl marks in paint, due to imbedded dirt in the cloth.

I've seen people use dishsoap to wash their vehicles, which is used by professionals, to remove wax.........

I don't consider hand washing a vehicle bad, but If it's done wrong, can surely do damage and let's be honest.....how many average people really know what's good for their cars/trucks???
Old 11-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:851
RockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to RockyRam

I don't agree, if you keep it waxed and you're not using sand paper to wash your truck, you'll be just fine

Have a Gray Ram?? Join the Mineral Gray Metallic Ramz Group!!!
http://www.ramforumz.com/group.php?groupid=21

"Rocky and Bullwinkle"
Old 03-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: none
Rep:10
fxdrider is on a distinguished road

The link in the OP is to a website that belongs to a car washing business. Check it out: http://www.villagecarwash.net

They are using this "study" to pitch their services to customers. I don't see any proof that this was even a real study. I Googled it, the results were mainly Car Wash businesses like the one in th OP. It seems to me like it's promotional, plain and simple.

As has been mentioned previously, if you're careful and use common sense methods, your finish will be just fine.

It just goes to show once again that you can't believe everything you read on the internet. And, always use a good B.S. filter.

Last edited by fxdrider; 03-06-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram ST 4.7L V8
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:14
BCWhite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwald View Post
I have a tendancy to agree, but it does make you think. I would rather save the money and do it myself. I could see having it done once every two years though, after all what's it cost $100-$150?
Total detail job on my wife's Escalade was close to $400.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I have owned and hand washed black trucks for a couple of decades. If you use clean water and rinse your washing mitt/rag/whatever often to remove the dirt from it, and be careful to not apply heavy hand pressure during this part of the operation, you will get great results. And like indicated in previous posts, wax is your friend, and when the surface gets too swirly looking, clay bar and wax will bring back the 'like new' finish.

As for the professional car wash information.....good marketing on their part!

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI