DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-05-2010, 01:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 CCSB
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black & Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:92
col will become famous soon enough
Default 3M Protection

The front end of my Ram is getting a few Rock Chip's on her. I'm just wondering if anyone has gone in for the 3M Protection & how much it cost & what do you think of it ?????
Old 06-05-2010, 03:31 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen it on a couple of the trucks that Stripe Tech has put out and talking to the owners they love it. I seriously need to do this to mine when I get my paint done as my bumper cover is got chipped to hell over the winter. I know 3M Trimline does it in Calgary.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:27 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Same here. The people I've talked to that have had it done swear by it.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:27 AM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Heres a link to their website . http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rotection/Film
Old 06-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport CC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Darkwind72 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
The front end of my Ram is getting a few Rock Chip's on her. I'm just wondering if anyone has gone in for the 3M Protection & how much it cost & what do you think of it ?????
Just throwing in my two cents: I've seen two vehicles with the 3M trim on it, and it does look good at first...but after a couple of years, and if you do have to remove it for any reason, you can see a dull appearance with the rest of your vehicle, and a "new" finish with the part of your vehicle that was covered with the 3M. It looks uneven as hell. It's also expensive as hell. I've seen people pay up to 600-800 just to get the front of their hood done, and their fender wells done as well. Again, this is just my two cents, but I'd rather pay $100 for mud flaps, a couple of hundred for fender flares, and 200 for a hood deflector....
Old 06-05-2010, 11:55 AM
erm

I haven't done the RAM but I did put this on my 300 and it's saved the paint!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:34 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad
Color: Silver
Rep:164
Mattones has a spectacular aura aboutMattones has a spectacular aura about

I should have done it to the painted area under the grill.. Too late now its all chipped to shit haha

Cat Back Magnaflow Exhaust stainless, Tinted Front Windows, Painted Engine Cover, Red Calipers, LED Reverse Lights, Lightbar and 4 Hella 500
Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 CCSB
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black & Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:92
col will become famous soon enough

Thank's for the feedback guy's.I just checked out the 3 m site.might even try it myself & see what happen's.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a shop that has the pattern maker for the cutting of these plastic films. The owner of the shop showed me the whole layout of the shop, the prep area, the rolls of different thickness plastics, the application, etc
if you look very closely you can just make out the edges of the film, he told me that dirt, wax, etc. will build up along those edges, but, with a bit of TLC, its not very difficult to clean that area.
I wanted to have it in a few places, like the front & hood area & anywhere someones belt buckle could scratch the paint, & then around the gas filler access door.
My factory paint job has so much orange peel on the whole cab, that the price is not worth it, when the current paint job gets damaged enough to have it repainted properly, i will be using the 3M
I did get my headlights & windshield done with a chemical called Diamon-Fusion, its a nano technology product, most of the small impacts that typically hit the windshield during normal driving conditions and that will typically chip, dent or even crack an untreated windshield, will bounce right off a DF-treated windshield due to the impact resistance properties. It has saved my windshield on many occasions, i closely follow semi trucks for a living, i'm tailgating more often than not, rocks are always hitting my truck & i don't have a single mark on the glass or plastic headlight covers
another good thing about it, watch the video, 1 side of glass has not been treated, glad they used a Chebby
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Longhorn Limited
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
SoDakMac is on a distinguished road

I had the front end done by a local glass tinting shop. As I recall the cost was around $250.00, which I thought was more than reasonable. He ordered a kit from some outfit that comes all precut and ready to install. I am not sure it is the 3M stuff but it looks great and he guaranteed it would not yellow. You do have to be careful when waxing to prevent build up along the seams or use a soft piece of toothpick or something to clean that area once in awhile. I like it since it has protected the paint from flying rocks and helps when scrubbing all those bugs off. I also had him do my Shelby Mustang but that kit was a lot more expensive for some reason.