DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Media Zone > Dodge Ram Pictures - Photos

Notices

Dodge Ram Pictures - Photos Post pictures of your Dodge Ram here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 05 Ram quad cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Color: light almond pearl
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:42
ramsport99 is on a distinguished road

That is a beautiful truck. :smil eup:
Sponsored links
Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
offroadwonder is on a distinguished road

I know I am new here, but is no one else a little angry that Doz would put something this dangerous on the road? 3%?? That is insane! And who would ever say tinting the windshield is a good idea? It isn't even a matter of what the law says (I have 30% on the rear of my wife's civic and the law clearly says factory tint or no darker than 50%, and I plan on tinting my 2010).

This is just flat unsafe.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:27 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

Damn that looks really good man! I like how dark it is, it really makes the truck look much better.

Ya that is 3% tint. If it was 30% you would be able to see right through it! So you said you have 35% on the windsheild. Do you mean the strip on the top or the full thing? If you have the full windsheild from top to bottom isn't it great??? haha I have the full thing done and it is awesome! It blocks the sun right out and even at night all the headlights.

Those tints here would be illegal, I am surprised it is not there. It is not like anyone really listen to the tint rules anyways haha. My windsheild is not allowed to have any tint and I did the whole thing. I have seen guys with that kinda dark tint on the windows here even though it is illegal.
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights

Last edited by ScatPak07; 06-08-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:15 PM

Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
doz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the good words Yes, its full windshield (no strip). Windshield is illegal here except 4" strip. Front windows are 35% (legal) and rear windows can be anything (legal).

Cops here are pretty lenient on the tint though due to the sun and its power (both bright and HOT!). Hell, I know plenty of cops who have tint as dark or darker than mine (alot of people go double limo all around).

Safe? Define safe? If you read up, Ive never had so much as an encounter with a shopping cart due to the tint. You want to criticize my tint of all things? Have you looked at the careless drivers due to the invent of the cell phone? Im sure you have NEVER talked on your cell phone in a car, as thats unsafe right? Im sure you wont do any illegal mods to your truck as well and never have on a vehicle.

To each his own though. I know enough law enforcement that I can get the ticket written off so I dont worry about tickets (already got 2, fix it, cop signs off, nuff said). Usually only the cops who are pricks write you up, because like I said, alot of them have dark tint themselves (and yes, Ive been pulled over strictly for my tint before, that cop was cool though and gave me a warning).

Also, your laws say 28% front windows, 15% rear windows. So this 50% number you speak of???? Not sure what that is... But I wouldnt do it, could be unsafe being that dark.

Last edited by doz; 06-08-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
Ruffian11 will become famous soon enoughRuffian11 will become famous soon enough

Man that looks awesome!!! i wish i could tint my window that much!!! but up where i am the tolerance is nothing ahead of the shoulders!!! it sucks so much so you can clearly see into my vehicle at any time!! i would even mind like a 30% tint on the front side windows!!! but what can you do eh!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doz View Post
Thanks for the good words Yes, its full windshield (no strip). Windshield is illegal here except 4" strip. Front windows are 35% (legal) and rear windows can be anything (legal).

Cops here are pretty lenient on the tint though due to the sun and its power (both bright and HOT!). Hell, I know plenty of cops who have tint as dark or darker than mine (alot of people go double limo all around).

Safe? Define safe? If you read up, Ive never had so much as an encounter with a shopping cart due to the tint. You want to criticize my tint of all things? Have you looked at the careless drivers due to the invent of the cell phone? Im sure you have NEVER talked on your cell phone in a car, as thats unsafe right? Im sure you wont do any illegal mods to your truck as well and never have on a vehicle.

To each his own though. I know enough law enforcement that I can get the ticket written off so I dont worry about tickets (already got 2, fix it, cop signs off, nuff said). Usually only the cops who are pricks write you up, because like I said, alot of them have dark tint themselves (and yes, Ive been pulled over strictly for my tint before, that cop was cool though and gave me a warning).

Also, your laws say 28% front windows, 15% rear windows. So this 50% number you speak of???? Not sure what that is... But I wouldnt do it, could be unsafe being that dark.
I should caveat, I do think the tint looks great...

However, don't assume you know where I am from and correct my facts. I bought the Civic in Maine where I was living at the time and the law was at the time 50% for all windows and 4" strip on the windshield (recently changed to 35% on all windows other than windshield)

My point in mentioning the 50% law was to emphasize that I am not making a comment about legality. There are many laws that I consider unreasonable and are mostly in place only to compliment other laws (i.e. too dark of window tint can serve as "reasonable suspicion" when an officer wants to get a warrant to search your car). In my opinion, breaking the law does not automatically mean unsafe. Just as following the law does not necessarily mean safe.

I also made no comment about your personal driving record. I am a motorcycle rider when I'm not in my Ram. The law here in FL says that I don't have to wear a helmet as long as I carry a certain amount of insurance. There are a lot of riders who do not wear helmets or any other protective gear and have never been in a crash of any kind. Those riders are both following the law AND have a good driving record, but I consider them unsafe riders. In that case they are mostly only putting themselves at risk so I shake my head and continue riding with my head protected.

You on the other hand have decided to reduce your visibility to the sides by 97% and to the front by 65%. I don't know about you but I don't ever want to cover up 97% of my window and still try to see out of the remaining 3% strip (our windows are somewhere in the range of 24" tall so try driving normally looking out of a 3/4" slit in your window). I don't want to be on the same road with someone who is using only 3% of their available visibility.

By the way, I have lived in southern Texas, the New Mexico desert, and now central Florida... I am aware of the benefit provided by a nice tint to reduce interior heat.

Consider the pot stirred...
Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 PM

Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
doz is on a distinguished road

But thats the problem, you dont even understand tint. It doesnt reduce your visability by 97% and 65%. Tint is rated to stop light from coming in. It doesnt mean you cannot see out of it but 3%/35%. If that was the case, obviously, I wouldnt be able to drive my truck as it would be pitch black.

Didnt mean to get all defensive, but having someone make comments that are far from the truth is irritating. Ive been driving with limo tint on my vehicles for the last 6 years. The ONLY time it makes a difference is at night, and the difference isnt much. You actually have to pay closer attention to pedestrians and what not and Ive actually started looking for them, bicyclists, other cars/bikes as well since Ive had it like this.

Think of tint as auto-dimming mirrors at night as thats about what it does. Does it mean I cant see things, people, bikes, cars? Not at all. I can still see pedestrians with no reflective gear.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

I've got 20% all the way around & I'm debating getting a layer of 5% over it all. I love the way that tint looks on your truck
Old 06-08-2010, 10:55 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:851
RockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to RockyRam

Looks real sharp, love the color!

Have a Gray Ram?? Join the Mineral Gray Metallic Ramz Group!!!
http://www.ramforumz.com/group.php?groupid=21

"Rocky and Bullwinkle"
Old 06-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doz View Post
But thats the problem, you dont even understand tint. It doesnt reduce your visability by 97% and 65%. Tint is rated to stop light from coming in. It doesnt mean you cannot see out of it but 3%/35%. If that was the case, obviously, I wouldnt be able to drive my truck as it would be pitch black.

Didnt mean to get all defensive, but having someone make comments that are far from the truth is irritating. Ive been driving with limo tint on my vehicles for the last 6 years. The ONLY time it makes a difference is at night, and the difference isnt much. You actually have to pay closer attention to pedestrians and what not and Ive actually started looking for them, bicyclists, other cars/bikes as well since Ive had it like this.

Think of tint as auto-dimming mirrors at night as thats about what it does. Does it mean I cant see things, people, bikes, cars? Not at all. I can still see pedestrians with no reflective gear.
Again, watch your facts. Tint is measured by a percentage of VLT or visual light transmittance. While there is no standard for which portion of the visual light spectrum the tint must be measured at, the manufacturer must be able to prove that their tint will only transmit an average of 3% of the visible light across the measured spectrum. Therefore 97% of the light that would normally be headed for your eye to produce the image you see will be blocked or absorbed by the tint, never reaching your eye.

You are absolutely correct that this has the largest effect during nighttime driving. During the day your pupils constrict, effectively reducing the amount of light that reaches your retina. So when the window tint already blocks out a large portion of the light, your pupils can relax and dilate slightly (much like wearing sunglasses). At night, however, your pupils are already dilated and the window tinting is taking away what little light your eyes already have to work with.

Your auto-dimming mirror comment is an example you should consider. The mirrors react to the light of headlights much like the pupils in your eyes would. They reduce the amount of light from a sudden light source to minimize glare and eye strain. When the headlights go away, the mirrors deactivate and allow as much light as possible to be transmitted to your eyes. There are high end window tintings available that do the same thing. They electronically reduce VLT during periods of high light, and increase VLT during low light (these are extremely expensive and are built into the glass).

Not to worry, sir, I do understand tinting and the physics of light.

Last edited by offroadwonder; 06-08-2010 at 11:20 PM.