DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:100
wester399 will become famous soon enoughwester399 will become famous soon enough
Default Wanna smoke out my lights

So i want to smoke out my tail lights and headlights... ive got a 2006 1500 any sites i can buy a kit off or do i have to buy the spray on tint. I saw one site that had the tints for the tail lights but not the third brake light or the head lights
anyone know of a site i can buy this off?
Sponsored links
Old 06-05-2010, 09:30 PM
erm

You can get them all tinted at a local body shop if you want. Most shops will have them 2 or 3 days.

I've seen some scattered on eBay.

And I know of a guy you can ship them to and get them done.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

VHT makes a paint called Night Shades . Used for tinting lights . Available in most stores .
Old 06-05-2010, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Sage Brush Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:219
MOPAR MULiSHA has a spectacular aura aboutMOPAR MULiSHA has a spectacular aura aboutMOPAR MULiSHA has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
VHT makes a paint called Night Shades . Used for tinting lights . Available in most stores .
^^ Just going to suggest that! They have it PepBoys & Advanced Auto it's like $13 a can tho but finished product looks great! Just remember the more coats the darker it's going to be. Here's a nice DIY write up on it.

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112567

2012 Sage Brush Pearlcoat Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab Hemi 4x4 w/ Ram Box Storage System
Old 06-05-2010, 10:38 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Yup, that's the stuff I'd suggest. From what I've seen, the results are fantastic
Old 06-05-2010, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Sage Brush Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:219
MOPAR MULiSHA has a spectacular aura aboutMOPAR MULiSHA has a spectacular aura aboutMOPAR MULiSHA has a spectacular aura about

Unless your experienced with window tint you could also go with a heatgun/blow dryer and get the pre-cut tint for the head & tails off eBay.

2012 Sage Brush Pearlcoat Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab Hemi 4x4 w/ Ram Box Storage System
Old 06-06-2010, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 2003 ram 2wheel drive
Trim Level: slt/sport (bones)
Color: black
Rep:659
bones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to behold

I would suggest the VHT as well. If you dont like it later it comes off fairly easy. Canadian tire sells it now...approx. $15 a can. Goes along way too!
Edd's : Hemi/ K&N C.A.I BONES Edition / Roll pan/Hood scoop/ Tinted heads,tails,3rd brake/ stereo upgrade/ T.M.D front bumper cover /Painted interior, 5" rear flip.2 inch front drop coils, Painted calipers,Eye brows
Old 06-06-2010, 01:08 PM

Vehicle: 05 RC/SB 4x4
Trim Level: Rumble Bee
Color: Solar Yellow
Rep:34
RMBLEBee2392 is on a distinguished road

I would put a few coats of clear on the lights to avoid them fading later.
This is the one I used when I did mine.

here is the steps. (from another dodge forum DIY)

1 - can of nightshades
1 - can of clearcoat (duplicolor was at my autozone)
1 - pack of 600 gritt wet-sandpaper
1 - pack of 2000 gritt wet-sandpaper
1 - bottle of a good rubbing compound ( meguiars ultimate compound is what i used)
few - paper towls
1 - rag to polish when done
1 - bucket with water

ALWAYS HAVE THE SANDPAPER WET WHILE SANDING!

1st step - Wet sand your lense with the 600 gritt wet-sandpaper, i only use up and down and side to side motion, no swirling, make sure you have the entire lense dull, anything shiny will not grip the paint to well.

2nd step, you will need to wipe down your lens and make sure all residue from sanding is removed and you have a clean surface to paint.

3rd step - spraying the VHT Nightshades, i use thick heavy coats so that it is semi glossy after each coat, I let it sit for a few minutes, inbetween coats, this stuff dries fast so dont worry.

4th step - the clear coat, after about 10 min i started with the duplicolor clear coat, i spray it the same way as i do the paint, thick and heavy.

Step 5 - sanding with 2000 gritt sanpaper, after you have let the tails dry in the sun for about an hour, mine were fully dry, so to remove the orangepeel what you do is get your sandpaper and start sanding the clearcoat, be careful not to go thru the clear coat, but while sanding, wipe them clean frequently, so see how your doing, you will notice when you start sanding you will have a bunch of tiny shiny dots with a dull area around them, you are wanting to sand until all the little dots are gone and its perfectly smooth

Step 6 - the final step - Polishing, i find it best to put em on the truck to polish them, now keeping this simple i polished by hand with my polish rag, use a generous amount of compound the more you polish the better your outcome, so dont be shy, after your done polishing, wipe em down with a clean cloth and stand back and admire your work.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:32 PM
erm

good stuff right there ^^^^ !!!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

just a thought
many tint shops also do headlights & tail lights
one such place is san diego tint and they say
Tail Light Tinting
We carry multiple shades of tint designed specifically for covering plastic and glass lights found on Cars, Trucks, and Motorcycles. We can tint Tail Lights, Side Marker Lights, Head Lights, Fog Lights, and more. Installation takes around 2 hours; so make sure and call ahead to schedule an appointment, or stop by the shop sometime and we can show you some pictures and samples of our work.
Installing film over your lights versus spraying/painting them has its advantages. Tail Light Film will hold up for years and can be removed at any time, without damage to the light or having to replace them.
they also do head light & fog light protective film, as well as wind shield & paint protection
When they do the paint film protection, they like to have the vehicle over night, to let the film take a good set
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle