DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:76
doz will become famous soon enough

Best way to improve mileage is keep your foot out of it. Like stated above, youll be LUCKY if you put 600-1000 in mods into your truck and see a 1mpg improvement.

You purchased a 5000 lb truck that makes 390hp. I dont know why people are purchasing such a vehicle while worried about mileage. You are seeing the upper end of the MPG range for these trucks, and those conditions they test it in are some of the most conservative ones. You really should be h appy.

You can easily improve mileage 1mpg just by changing your drive habits, if not more. And its free....
DS Trinity w/ custom tune, S&B Intake, ARH LT Headers, Magnaflow Cat-back, 87mm PTB, BT Catch Can, 180* T-Stat, v6 E-Fan, 5000k RS HID, XD Misfits w/ 35"x12.5"x18", Rancho QL level, 5% tint w/ 35% full windshield, Hifonics Brutus 1100.1 w/ Sundown SA12 in ported FoxBox
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2010, 10:44 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
Ruffian11 will become famous soon enoughRuffian11 will become famous soon enough

I have to agree with everyone else hear!! the mods you can do can increase your mileage but if your like the typical guy with 390HP under your foot you tend to get a little heavy at some point...when the truck tends respond with a nice rumble makes you hit it harder....there goes the mileage hahha!!

Also its truck and your getting double the mileage of me so i would be pretty happy!!
Old 06-20-2010, 02:35 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:135
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrieldy View Post
Your driving style is the best way to ensure you get better mileage.

Assming you only paid $600 for your mods to get that 1.4cent saving per mile it would take you 42,857 miles before you recouped your initial investment.

My point is that if you are buying these for the sole purpose of fule mileage it is probably not worth it....BUT if you want to buy all those upgrades because you want more hp and a better sounding exhaust then by all means mod away. The majority of us on here have the modding sickness and once you start there is no cure!!
I agree 1000%

Each may help a little, but they will almost never pay for themselves in mileage increases. Just dropping from 75 to 65 MPH in my truck saved approx 2 MPG.

Also remember, extra HP does not always mean extra MPG.

CAI's and exhaust 'do their thing' best at above highway speed rpms, so that "XX" amount of added power at WOT means diddly at 70 mph in overdrive.

Magnaflows website indicates a SISO cat back exhaust will out torque and out HP a dual system unless the engine is highly modified Again, your motor is probably not highly modified

Tuners can somewhat go either way. They can tune (somewhat) for additional mpg, or they can dump in more fuel and turn up the spark curve for a 'peformance' tune.
If you have to run 93 for the 'performance' tune, you'd better see an across the board MPG increase of 10% just to 'break even' on the fuel cost.

On the other hand, if you like to tinker and play, all of these can be 'entertaining'.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Gray Metalic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
DatWunGai is on a distinguished road

Well said "gabrieldy" - I'm feeling sick right now, maybe I should go home early and "care" for myself.

P.S. - Mod-ing your vehicle is expensive, time-consuming and most of the time irresponsible - and that's why it's so much fun!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram
Trim Level: crew cab sport
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
teewin is on a distinguished road
Default Better then Mine

I just switched from driving a Chevy for over 10 years( lost my silver 5.3L) and gotten me a Ram 5.7L Hemi Crew cab sport, love it. Gas mileage around 14.7 shown right now compared to the 17 and 19 I've been getting from the Chevy, but the power is a BIG difference. Sure, gas is expensive, but still cheaper then beer A friend suggested an air management system called "TORNADO" I went and got it, but haven't install it yet, doesn't seem to fit right. If you find a good solution, plz post.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:59 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by teewin View Post
I just switched from driving a Chevy for over 10 years( lost my silver 5.3L) and gotten me a Ram 5.7L Hemi Crew cab sport, love it. Gas mileage around 14.7 shown right now compared to the 17 and 19 I've been getting from the Chevy, but the power is a BIG difference. Sure, gas is expensive, but still cheaper then beer A friend suggested an air management system called "TORNADO" I went and got it, but haven't install it yet, doesn't seem to fit right. If you find a good solution, plz post.
solution is to return it. they don't work.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 PM

CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatWunGai View Post
Well said "gabrieldy" - I'm feeling sick right now, maybe I should go home early and "care" for myself.

P.S. - Mod-ing your vehicle is expensive, time-consuming and most of the time irresponsible - and that's why it's so much fun!

I care for my "modding attacks" with beer...but this usually ends with more modding.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport 4x2
Color: Mineral gray
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
onewheelregulator is on a distinguished road

I have an 09 crew cab hemi, my truck wieghs 6800lbs according to the door sticker and I have seen 21 MPG at 65 on the highway with the ac off so I dunno what you guys are smoking with your 15mpg. Remeber you have to reset your mpg while your at speed to get a proper reading. Also YOU HAVE A 390 HP ENGINE even 18-19 MPG is DAMN GOOD in my book!!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 12:58 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Here comes another newbie dumb question.

You got a Hemi. Did you get the Hemi for the giggle factor or mpg? I got mine for the giggle factor, just happens that it gets a little better mpg than the smaller engine.

I've had KN's in the past and they help HP a tiny bit but don't do much for mpg. True dual exhaust (two cats and two mufflers) helps a bit.

Bottom line imho with your 1500 you've got the MDS system and if you have the factory duals, you're getting the best mpg you're going to get. Keep in mind the cost of the mods vs the actual improvement you'll get.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 06-25-2010, 01:23 AM

Agreed brianwl.

What I think people sometimes forget is that if Dodge could squeek out another mpg or two then they would...it would give them more bragging rights against the competition. As the price of gas continues to rise and CAFE standards continue rising I'm sure Dodge with all their R & D millions are doing whatever they can.

Now I do understand that there are tradeoffs. If the costs outweigh the mpg benefits then the bean-counters probably tell the engineers to forget it. There is also the truck factor. This is a 5000+ lb truck making 390 hp from 5.7 liters of American muscle!

As the tech comes along we all know that the mpg rating will continue to rise as it becomes cost effective. Better aerodynamics, 7-8+ speed transmissions, e-fans, e-steering, direct injection, smaller motors with turbos and even dam hybrids and alternative fuels are on the horizon.

In the mean time I'll just keep my foot out it when I feel like trying to get an extra mpg or two and all the other times I'll enjoy this V-8 for what it was designed for. Hell, 30+ years from now you might have teenagers asking you what it was like to drive a V-8!