DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '99 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: solar yellow
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:83
Mac will become famous soon enough
Default Steering shaft

Hey guys,
So I've had my 99 1500 for about a week now and couldn't be happier. I had it in the shop this morning and the front end checks out great. The mechanic said the ball joints and tie rod ends looked new! However, he did say the clunkyness I was feeling is the stock steering shaft. He said they couldn't do the work though, something about a dealer part only. I had read this could be a problem and was thinking of upgrading the shaft to the Borgeson. I found one on eBay which saves me a few bucks but does anyone know of an installation tutorial?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...Q5fAccessories

I'm really stoked. The fella I bought the truck from only had it a few months and couldn't afford the payments. He bought it from the original owner and that dude must have taken awesome care of it.

Oh, I did have the shop replace the distributor cap and rotor. I tried but I'm not tripple-jointed
-Mac
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2010, 12:39 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

That looks like a well built piece there. Installation is super simple - remove the pinch bolts in either end of the shaft, lock the steering wheel so it can't rotate, and slide the old shaft off. Installation is the reverse of removal. It shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:45 PM
erm

I did this on my '99. Easy easy easy...good luck with the repair!
Old 06-19-2010, 02:19 PM

MADDOG, did you notice a difference in steering response? Mine's not terribly sloppy but it does wander a bit.
And thank you Randy. I'll give it a whirl.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:26 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The wandering is likely caused by an alignment angle being out of spec or another loose steering component. If your existing intermediate shaft is loose, you'll definately notice an improvement.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:51 PM
erm

No, the coupling at the intermediate shaft was worn out so all I noticed there was no more clunk.

I found my trackbar links were also worn and when I replaced them, no more wander.

I never did feel a lot of slop in the steering wheel but if I had, I would have checked the steering box and steering links.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes wish i had an older truck, every vehicle that i have ever owned before this one I was able to buy a printed factory shop manual. those books saved my butt several times.
those manuals may cost $30- 40 a piece, & they are worth twice that when your broke down
Even the Chilton & Haynes manuals that are in the Pep Boys, Kragen, OReilly, & Autozones are better than nothing

my 1999 chevy 1/2 ton had 4 books in the set
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-19-2010, 04:07 PM
erm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I sometimes wish i had an older truck, every vehicle that i have ever owned before this one I was able to buy a printed factory shop manual. those books saved my butt several times.
those manuals may cost $30- 40 a piece, & they are worth twice that when your broke down
Even the Chilton & Haynes manuals that are in the Pep Boys, Kragen, OReilly, & Autozones are better than nothing

my 1999 chevy 1/2 ton had 4 books in the set
Yup, yup...my '95 ImpalaSS had 3 books, the '96 pickup had 4 and the '03 Yukon had 4 + a small addendum.

I find the .pdf version of my Ram manual very easy to use with a searchable index, linked pages and I can simply print the page(s) I need for a specific task. It was about $10 on a CD from an eBay seller.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:55 PM

I handed the mechanic a whole list of items to check out, of course that doesn't guarentee he did but I trust these guys. List included ball joints, tie rods, steering stabilizer, track bar, pitman arm, drag link, steering box, steering linkage, and shocks.
I picked up a Haynes on the way home and crawled under the truck just for kicks. It all looks clean and tight.
I'll replace the shaft, since it needs it anyway, and go from there.
Another question if you guys don't mind. The fog lights aren't working. I replaced both bulbs and checked the fuse but nada. All other lights work. Any thoughts?
Old 06-19-2010, 05:35 PM

Could be the relay or switch. Do you have a test light handy?