DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn, 5.7 hemi
Color: BRILLANT BLACK CREW CAB
Rep:172
FDBDW has a spectacular aura aboutFDBDW has a spectacular aura about
Default Another exaust question

Need some advice or opinions,
09 Ram crew cab 5.7 hemi. I just put in the mopar cai and and with having more air in I want to get more air out. My goal is performance (hp and tq) not noise, I realize that with moving more air that its gonna be a little louder and thats fine just dont want it crazy loud, Im leaning toward Magnaflow, I have long tube headers with flowmaster supper 44s on my 71 pick up and that sound fits that ride, IMO that sound doesnt fit this truck, No offense to the flow users. Headers are not an option for me just cause of cost.

1. Magnaflow cat back systm, not sure if its worth $700, seems like the mufler is the only performing difference from the stock set up, we already have good size pipes on the stock. Im just not sure if a couple hp is worth that kind of jack.

2. Magnaflow muffler with mag high flow catiletic converter, basicly leaving the stock pipes and just replacing those 2 for more flow. How restrictive are the stock cats and would it be worth changing. This set up would be faily cheep to do, but will it perform.

3. Just swaping out the mufler with a magnaflow, this would be the cheepest and easiest but would there be any gains.

lastly would someone school me on the resinators, take them out or leave them in. How restrictive are they. I would appreciate any help and anyone that has tried these and have real world results, I dont trust what I read in catalogs. thank you for the help.
MOPAR CAI , 14" MUFFLEX, Diablo Intune 91oct , 2.5" LEVEL, K2 OPEN BLACK MESH GRILLE, FRONT WINDOWS TINTED, ROCKSTARS ON 295/70/18 NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS, LARADO BED COVER, DEBADGED, GO RIHNO STEPS , RECON SMOKED TAIL & THIRD BRAKE LIGHTS , PAINTED HEADLIGHTS , SPEEDLOGIX CATCH CAN, FASTMAN PORTED TB ,
Sponsored links
Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 AM

Vehicle: 2000 dodge ram 3500 4x4 qcdrw
Color: white
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:11
whi3500mag is on a distinguished road

if it were me i would take it to a well known exhaust shop have them put on muffler of your choice do away with resinator and be done the shop could also do ya some coustom dules or what ever your tast are it will be alot cheaper than the 700!

Last edited by whi3500mag; 06-24-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:56 AM

my exhaust is a coupl years old but looks good for just under 400 and they compan who did mine even deals in stainless magnaflow tips
Old 06-24-2010, 11:59 AM

Old 06-24-2010, 07:18 PM

Leaning towards just replacing the muffler and keeping the resonator did some research and seems like the resonator is straight through without alot of contriction, the main air contrictor , is the stock muffler. So for now Im thinking just a muffler replacment and leaving everything else as is. The muffler I have in mind is the Magnaflow PT#125888,
5x11, 22", 3" in 2.5" dual out. Any other opinions, thoughts or experiances would be helpful, thank you
MOPAR CAI , 14" MUFFLEX, Diablo Intune 91oct , 2.5" LEVEL, K2 OPEN BLACK MESH GRILLE, FRONT WINDOWS TINTED, ROCKSTARS ON 295/70/18 NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS, LARADO BED COVER, DEBADGED, GO RIHNO STEPS , RECON SMOKED TAIL & THIRD BRAKE LIGHTS , PAINTED HEADLIGHTS , SPEEDLOGIX CATCH CAN, FASTMAN PORTED TB ,
Old 06-24-2010, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:72
doz will become famous soon enough

Stock exhaust on the 09/10 is quite good. Its stainless steel and the pipe sizing is that of catback systems. Stock cats arent as restrictive, and you wont see much gains going to hi-flow cats (if any, youd probably need to remove them completely).

If you want a good bolt-in solution, check out Mufflex (magnaflow mufflers, made to fit bolt-on in various can sizes). An 18" mufflex would be pretty good for you (or possibly 14"). Otherwise, have an exhaust shop weld in a new muffler (make sure they use stainless though, alot of shops dont carry and wont weld it here).
Old 06-24-2010, 11:56 PM

Thanks doz,
I checked out the mufflex website and Im pretty impressed with that systm, especialy cause I can do it myself. Im realy looking for performance and maybe just a little more than stock sound so I think the 18" would be good. Still doing research before I make a final decision, Im trying to find some dyno sheets on that systm. All thoughts and opinions are still welcome, thank you
Old 06-26-2010, 10:01 PM

Vehicle: 2oo9 standard cab 4~4 1500 ram
Trim Level: plain
Color: pearl black
Rep:10
eltoro2 is on a distinguished road

I went that way with mine just put on the mufflex muffler and left everything else on sounds great .
Old 06-26-2010, 11:13 PM

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
1RamRunner is on a distinguished road

My local muffler shop has had customers return and complain after getting Magnaflow and Flowmaster on their '09-'10 Hemi Rams with cylinder deactivation. They have has no returns from customers getting mufflers from Solo Performance. I'm leaning that way, I just need to figure out which version I want.
Jim
Old 06-27-2010, 11:32 AM

It seems like the resonators a big variable, i wonder if the people that had problems with magnalfows also had the resonators removed,