DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
TexasStroker is on a distinguished road
Question Cold Air Intakes...Yeah, I know...MPG?

So you are probably expecthing the typical, "which cold air intake" line from another newbie, right?

Well sort of...

I am interested in MPG gains. I have read where a lot of 94-01 owners were fans of the 14x3" route, and here recently where the e-bay and spectre cai were gaining some momentum.

For those of you that claim gains (or losses for that matter) do you have TCG (Travel Convenience Group with MPGs etc), or are you doing your own math?

I am kind of getting tired of the cumbersome process of pulling the stock filter to clean it...The intake tube isn't the problem, so much as it is just the clearance to tighten everything back up to the throttle body. A CAI would make that much more enjoyable.

Any real-world performance gains are just complimentary to the ease of servicing and in this case MPG gains.

So please let me know how you have computed your mileage before/after the install.

I haven't been on a dedicated Ram forum since 01-03ish and figure there have been a lot of improvements in the data set based on the age of the trucks.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Sponsored links
Old 06-26-2010, 08:09 PM
erm

My '99 5.2L Ram saw a 2.5 to 3.0 MPG/highway improvement after I installed a Volant CAI. I did the math on my own.

It didn't see to much improvement around town..that stayed pretty much the same.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

I put a K&N system on my 4-Runner. Complete with the intake and filter. It seemed to help performance a little. But mpg had absolutely no change. It did make it louder when I put my foot down because of the echo/rumble through the large intake.

IMHO if you want better mpg, do it right but watch for the true payout (cost of upgrade/mod vs real fuel savings). Doing it right means:

1. Colder air intake.
2. Reprogram the chip.
3. True dual exhaust (not catback).
4. Clean up the aerodynamics of your rig.

Even doing that may garner you 1 - 3 mpg (just a guess). It will definitely improver hp.

But as another poster had written. If Dodge could get 1 more mpg out of a motor, they would, just for bragging rights.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 06-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad CAB 4X4
Trim Level: SPORT 5-Speed
Color: Black
Chet Stedman is on a distinguished road

I put a K&n in my 99 Sport. Now this is a estimate but lets just be clear I have driven MOPARS since I was 16 and can tell the difference of a CAI. Prolly 15 horse power and a 2 MPG increase. Well worth it in my opinion
Old 06-27-2010, 01:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the quick replies. I am almost to the point where I am going to pop for the Spectre CAI. It is simple and makes use of the factory pick-up point having the filter boxed off right in that region.

The simple ease of servicing coupled with the potential gains seems well worth the asking price.

I would love to bump up my mgps a little...That is typically not one of my concerns, but it would be nice to save whatever I could.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

I think you will see your MPG gains more on the highway rather than in the city. I have a S&B on my 07 Ram and I saw a little gain in city but a 2-3MPG gain on the highway. Pretty much the same as Maddog has seen.

If you are really wanting to get some more MPGs then why not get an efan? If you get a Ford Taurus stock efan you can gain some MPGs for about $40. It will pay for itself after a few fillups
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 06-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad CAB 4X4
Trim Level: SPORT 5-Speed
Color: Black
Chet Stedman is on a distinguished road

either way its still worth in investment
Old 06-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

I just made my own
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=42653
Old 06-29-2010, 03:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well I used my lunch break to order in the Spectre CAI and some other goodies...should have them in Thursday or Friday...just in time to intall over the 4th of July Weekend!

It might get pushed back if I go ahead and do some customizing

Either way I'll keep everyone updated and have mpg updates from the TCG computer.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Necropost? I think not!

I have been hellaciously busy! The install got backlogged since I popped for more than the CAI, lol.

After that I ran into a time drain with Mopars at Amarillo Dragway and I'm currently pushing Chryslers in the Canyon...which is a must attend for anyone within 4 hrs of the event...I posted it up in the SW Events section...You will not regret the drive! As I stated I will try to have the 01 at the event. All that aside here is a quick update:

Behold the washed-down stock airbox...nothing wrong with it, but man is it a pain to secure to the throttle body while standing on a tire or ladder and leaning in at an angle with the hood, lol:

The quest to make an air filter servicing/change easier is a big reason for the mod...the other influential factor is of course fuel mileage! Thus, the Spectre CAI was ordered in...

Here is the installed Spectre CAI:

I am very particular about color schemes when it comes to vehicles and the Ram is obviously black and blue..hence:

And the finished product:

More importantly the results:

Power is up slightly, nothing to really brag about...I'm hard to please in terms of TQ and HP which is why I have RB Mopars, haha. The truck has always been very quick for what it is and this certainly won't hurt that condition.

For those that care, yes you can hear the intake now. It is noticeable on start-up and cold idle. Mellows out quite a bit when things are up to temp. And naturally you hear the distinct sound of the un-silenced CAI pulling air into the TB on acceleration.

Lastly, for those who are like myself and really just want a little better MPG from their truck...

I have gone up from 10.9-11.1 averages on the TCG all the way to 11.7 in not a lot of miles (maybe 750?). That may seem insignificant, but the 11.7 is lifetime as I have never reset. So over the course of the almost 10 years I've had the truck I am up quite a bit.

My last fill-up I took the gallons to full and the mileage on the trip and I was up in the 12.6 range if I remember right! HUGE increase and well worth the time and money imo. I am anxious to see where I wind up. Keep in mind this is on a 5.2L AOD with 4.10 gears.

Just for the record I did swap plugs and wires at the same time. The plugs and wires were both fine for the mileage, so I am attributing most of the gain to the CAI.

Last edited by TexasStroker; 10-13-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Had to swap IMG Codes