DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
philjohn is on a distinguished road
Default rear diff

I just replaced the spider gears in my 03 Ram now have noise coming from it while slowing down but not speeding up or cruising what did i do wrong? First time i have done a rear end rebuild.
Sponsored links
Old 06-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Did you verify that your clearences and pinion TTR were correct?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

do you know what the clearance should be?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:38 AM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Ring Gear Backlash - 0.005-0.008 in.
Pinion Bearing Preload, Original Bearings - 10-20 in. lbs.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ok but the only thing i messed with is the spider gears I got the parts from dodge and the look different from the original could it be that the shims are just wrong on the side spider gears? And how would i know the right shim size to put in it came with 4 different ones to use.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:08 PM

That is a damn good question. I've never had to replace side and spiders before. I searched the service information and there's not one shred of information on side gear clearences and shim selection to be found. I'll keep looking but can't promise anything.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:11 PM

A-HA! They had it hidden in the adjustment section instead of diff assembly.

SIDE GEAR CLEARANCE

When measuring side gear clearance, check each gear independently. If it necessary to replace a side gear, replace both gears as a matched set.
  1. Install the axle shafts and C-locks and pinion mate shaft.
  2. Measure each side gear clearance. Insert a matched pair of feeler gauge blades between the gear and differential housing on opposite sides of the hub (SIDE GEAR CLEARANCE) .
  3. If side gear clearances is no more than 0.005 inch. Determine if the axle shaft is contacting the pinion mate shaft. Do not remove the feeler gauges, inspect the axle shaft with the feeler gauge inserted behind the side gear.</B> If the end of the axle shaft is not contacting the pinion mate shaft, the side gear clearance is acceptable.
  4. If clearance is more than 0.005 inch (axle shaft not contacting mate shaft), record the side gear clearance. Remove the thrust washer and measure its thickness with a micrometer. Add the washer thickness to the recorded side gear clearance. The sum of gear clearance and washer thickness will determine required thickness of replacement thrust washer (SIDE GEAR CALCULATIONS). In some cases, the end of the axle shaft will move and contact the mate shaft when the feeler gauge is inserted. The C-lock is preventing the side gear from sliding on the axle shaft.
  5. If there is no side gear clearance, remove the C-lock from the axle shaft. Use a micrometer to measure the thrust washer thickness. Record the thickness and re-install the thrust washer. Assemble the differential case without the C-lock installed and re-measure the side gear clearance.
  6. Compare both clearance measurements. If the difference is less than 0.012 inch (0.305 mm), add clearance recorded when the C-lock was installed to thrust washer thickness measured. The sum will determine the required thickness of the replacement thrust washer.
  7. If clearance is 0.012 inch (0.305 mm) or greater, both side gears must be replaced (matched set) and the clearance measurements repeated.
  8. If clearance (above) continues to be 0.012 inch (0.305 mm) or greater, the case must be replaced.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

ok tried that put thicker spacers in and still have a clank noise. The spider gears i got from dodge werent the same as the ones that were in it. so i replaced all of them. The replacement kit also only came with one bushing or spacer what ever it is for the top and bottom so i only put on in and the other floats a little up and down could that be what is causing it?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

also reading farther in your post the axle ends are contacting the pinion mate shaft could that also be it?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:29 PM

I'd be inclined to think the axle shaft contacting the mate shaft is more likely the cause.