DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:45
Ray is on a distinguished road
Default 3M scotch guard protective paint film?

Anybody try or know about the 3m scotch guard film. My fiber glass tonneau cover is slightly rubbing against the side of my bed and sratching my paint. I was thinking about putting the 3m tape to prevent further damage. Does anybody know about this product or have any ideas on the best way to fix this problem. I adjusted the clamps on the cover already to the highest setting. It helped but still getting a little rub. The mopar cover is cut real snug along the bed.
Mods:Mopar fiber glass Tonneau cover,Nerf Bars,Bully Hitch bar,husky mud guards,stubby antenna,Edge guards,weather mats,20%tint all around+windsheild,lisence plate covers,Upgrage to REN w/back up cam,Magnaflow 18, putco bulbs,LED interior/plate bulbs,viper smartstart

Sponsored links
Old 06-27-2010, 06:23 PM
erm

It would wear through pretty quickly.

It might be easier to file down the tonneau cover a bit to get some clearance.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:41 PM

Rep:10
BigBlueEdge is on a distinguished road

The 3M ScotchCal product is awesome! I've had it on every vehicle since my 2001 Lexus IS300. It does wonders to protect from rock chips and scratches (like on your door sill or under your door handle pulls). I just got my Sport and had my installer cover every incho f the forward-facing surfaces on the front, plus door pulls, door sills, and under the mud flaps. That plus X-Pel headlight protection is the best insurance you can get to preserve the look of your vehicle.

As for using it to protect from rubbing by your fiberglass tonneau, that is a tough question. Fiberglass is pretty abrasive and it may well eat through the ScotchCal eventually too. It all depends how tightly it is touching. If you can reposition the tonneau so it barely touches then the ScotchCal would work (i.e. like mud flaps). But if it presses hard it wont' help that much. Better than nothing though. Maybe you can just buy a bit of the product from some installer and replace it yourself every year or so as it wears through.

Rob

Rob
Old 06-27-2010, 08:26 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

where does one get the scotchcal put on?
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 06-27-2010, 11:20 PM

Most (many?) dealers will contract with an installer so you can work through them. They'll rape you on price though. Try to find an independent installer in your area and work directly with them. Talk to some auto custom shops (like places that do window tint) and see if they can refer you to someone.

You can also go to the Xpel web site and use their dealer search tool to find local installers. Xpel is the same type of product. I've never used their paint protection film but I do buy their headlight protection kits.

Rob
Old 06-28-2010, 06:06 PM

The rub is slight and not that bad, but it's just enough to burn the paint. I can get it out with a wheel. I know if I don't try and stop it now it will get worse. I was thinking about shaving it down a little bit but there it's pretty thin already and don't want to chance it. Also anybody know a good product to protect the edges of the doors, like a rubber guard?
Mods:Mopar fiber glass Tonneau cover,Nerf Bars,Bully Hitch bar,husky mud guards,stubby antenna,Edge guards,weather mats,20%tint all around+windsheild,lisence plate covers,Upgrage to REN w/back up cam,Magnaflow 18, putco bulbs,LED interior/plate bulbs,viper smartstart

Old 06-28-2010, 06:15 PM

Chances are if it's that light then ScotchCal will work well to protect the paint. Worst case the ScotchCal is sacrificial and you can replace it as needed if it starts to wear through, while still keeping nice paint underneath.

Rob
Old 06-29-2010, 05:43 PM

Seems like it's worth a shot, I will have to look more into it and see if it's worth it.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 4x4 8speed
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:51
tjf2000 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Anybody try or know about the 3m scotch guard film. My fiber glass tonneau cover is slightly rubbing against the side of my bed and sratching my paint. I was thinking about putting the 3m tape to prevent further damage. Does anybody know about this product or have any ideas on the best way to fix this problem. I adjusted the clamps on the cover already to the highest setting. It helped but still getting a little rub. The mopar cover is cut real snug along the bed.
Before I put my cap on I ordered the 4" film from griots garage....it works great......hope that helps.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:00 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

I have used x-pel on all my vehicles, the stuff is Great! Mainly the headlights but I will do the door sills and high impact spots as needed. Definitely worth the $$. I buy it by the foot and cut myself to save $ too.

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear