DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Military

Notices

Military Special Interest Group for members of all branches of the military, active duty or retired. - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of
Default Intro and a Couple Funnies

Hi Gang,

I retired from the AF in 93, so you could say I've been a civilian a while. Since retirement I spent my time working most as a Telecom Engineer/project manager. I also have spent the past 5 plus years helping Vets deal with the VA and working to get Congress to give us our retirements back.

I currently run an online community for those with PTSD and other Psych issues plus any other Vet related subjects.

One of my career fields (had 3) was as a C-130 Flight Engineer. So here's a couple of funnies from my time doing that job.

Whenever we went off station (if we had a new Officer on board usually a co-pilot or Nav) it was my responsibility to mark the hub cap on the nose wheel with AC, CP, Nav, FE, and LM. When we landed, whichever one was pointing up bought the first round of beer.

Inevitably the new officer's position would be pointing up and had to buy the first round. As the FE it was my job to be the first one off the plane because I had to put the pin in the nose wheel.

What was unknown to the newbies is the hub-cap could be turned by hand, so needless to say I'd look at it and turn to the appropriate position.

On one mission our Loadmaster was a trained and experienced sky-diver. We were doing a drop over Ft Bragg. We did the drop and while running the after drop checklist the LM did not respond. So the pilot told me to go see what was up.

I went to the cargo compartment and everything was in order except 2 things. The side door was open, which I knew from the light up front, and the LM was nowhere to be found. I closed the door and went back up front and reported to pilot. To say he was pissed is an understatement.

I never saw that LM again. We flew back to Dyess TX without him. I'd guess he got to visit the judge at a minimum.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Sponsored links
Old 07-01-2010, 09:59 PM

Vehicle: 05 ram slt
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:258
Lmood is a jewel in the roughLmood is a jewel in the roughLmood is a jewel in the rough

funny story. esp about the nose wheel hub cap. im a 130 mechanic. will deff have to keep this in the back of my head if i ever decide to become aircrew. what part of maintenance where you in?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:14 PM

RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

I started out as a KC-135 Crew Chief. Did that just long enough to retrain into being a FE.

Back when I went to FE school everyone went to Altus for basic FE school and then it luck of the draw as to what plane you got. One thing that helped me was I put 130 bases only on my list of requested assignments. Nothing with jet cargo planes. I ended up at Dyess.

Basic FE school had a 50% failure rate back then. So if you decide to go that route, be prepared to work for it.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 07-01-2010, 11:34 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

If I had known in '88 what I know now, I would have went Air Force instead of Army and worked at getting a slot on Spooky.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:14 PM

Vehicle: 05 ram slt
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:258
Lmood is a jewel in the roughLmood is a jewel in the roughLmood is a jewel in the rough

they moved the fe fundee school to lackland. then of course there are the various other schools you have to go to, sere and such. but the majority of the school is in little rock now. the only down side i see to becoming an fe is id lose my full time job. im full time air guard in the phase dock. full time slots up there are VERY competative and far and few between when they do open up.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:13 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

Howdy from an old SAC trained killer.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmood View Post
they moved the fe fundee school to lackland. then of course there are the various other schools you have to go to, sere and such. but the majority of the school is in little rock now. the only down side i see to becoming an fe is id lose my full time job. im full time air guard in the phase dock. full time slots up there are VERY competative and far and few between when they do open up.
Don't go FE if you're guard and want to keep your day job. Its not worth it.