DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > MDS

Notices

MDS Multi Displacement System Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Crimson Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
DBryant is on a distinguished road
Default Explain how MDS operates.

I know this has probably been asked before, could not find it with search. How does the MDS system work? Used to be a drag racer in the 60's so I know engines, just don't know how MDS works.
Sponsored links
Old 06-29-2010, 03:05 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=47443
Old 06-29-2010, 03:07 PM
erm

From Remerson228, our resident tech:

The Multiple Displacement System (MDS) provides cylinder deactivation during steady speed, low acceleration and shallow grade climbing conditions to increase fuel economy. Both four and eight cylinder configurations have even firing intervals providesmooth operation. Two cylinders on each bank are active when the engine is in four-cylinder mode – every other cylinder in the firing order. All of the cylinders that are deactivated have unique hydraulic valve lifters that collapse when deactivated to prevent the valves from opening. Engine oil pressure is used to activate and deactivate the valves. It is delivered through special oil passages drilled into the cylinder block. Solenoid valves control the flow. When activated, pressurized oil pushes a latching pin on each valve lifter, which then becomes a “lost motion” link. Its base follows the camshaft, but its top remains stationary, held in place against the pushrod by light spring pressure but unable to move because of the much higher force of the valve spring.

NOTE: It is critical to use the recommended oil viscosity in 5.7L engines that use MDS.

Deactivation occurs during the compression stroke of each cylinder, after air and fuel enter the cylinder. Ignition then occurs, but the combustion products remain trapped in the cylinder under high pressure, because the valves no longer open. No air enters or leaves. During subsequent piston strokes, this high-pressure gas is repeatedly compressed and expanded like an air spring, but fuel is not injected.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:09 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Is there a way to tell if the MDS is working?
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The sound of the engine is a big giveaway.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:27 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
The sound of the engine is a big giveaway.
Sound? What sound? This truck is so quiet the only time I hear it when I put my foot in it.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 06-29-2010, 06:56 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer the answer: Magic :LOL

Randy has the real info on it, and like it says there, the viscosity is VERY important, so use the oil type that your cap says or you can run into issues, especially if you live in colder regions.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:32 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwl View Post
Sound? What sound? This truck is so quiet the only time I hear it when I put my foot in it.
My point exactly! When you hear that sound, you can rest assured you are NOT in MDS mode!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 CC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RoninHemi is on a distinguished road
Default MDS on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwl View Post
Is there a way to tell if the MDS is working?
I found that if you have an '10, the message center in the dash can be set to let you know when you are in economy mode. There is a sound and some feeling change.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninHemi View Post
I found that if you have an '10, the message center in the dash can be set to let you know when you are in economy mode. There is a sound and some feeling change.
Eco mode is NOT an indication of MDS engagement.