DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-01-2010, 01:25 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, some of the simplest solutions are the most difficult to execute, like how to get your computer to run better, stronger, faster. Easy, just write and OS that does all that!

Unbelievable!....I just compared Bill to Bird Poo, and wasn't even trying. I'm taking this one to the computer club meeting. Everyone there is so wacky, they will actually get it!

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Sponsored links
Old 07-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPak07 View Post
I was going to suggest getting a polish to take it out. I do not think the clay will do anything. It is more for imperfections in the paint like trapped dirt and crap (not bird crap haha).

Go to Canadian Tire and try Auto Glym Super Resin Polish. Do the whole truck since it will look kinda weird just doing the one spot haha. I used it on my truck and the stuff is great. It also has a sealant in it so it will protect the paint from future contamination.
Thanks Scat I will be picking that up tomorrow and giving it a try. Will it work over the Wax ? And also would it be okay to do just the hood for now ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
Unfortunately, some of the simplest solutions are the most difficult to execute, like how to get your computer to run better, stronger, faster. Easy, just write and OS that does all that!

Unbelievable!....I just compared Bill to Bird Poo, and wasn't even trying. I'm taking this one to the computer club meeting. Everyone there is so wacky, they will actually get it!
Yes you did just regard Mr. Gates as some kind of pooper, you must really be having computer problems. I tried your suggestion of WD40 this morning and while it did make a big difference I can still see the mark in the right light . BTW nobody else could spot it unless it's pointed out hehe. So I will be trying Scat's suggestion tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by RansRAM; 07-01-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPak07 View Post
I was going to suggest getting a polish to take it out. I do not think the clay will do anything. It is more for imperfections in the paint like trapped dirt and crap (not bird crap haha).

Go to Canadian Tire and try Auto Glym Super Resin Polish. Do the whole truck since it will look kinda weird just doing the one spot haha. I used it on my truck and the stuff is great. It also has a sealant in it so it will protect the paint from future contamination.
That's actually a great recommendation. A polish is the only way to remove the etching. Auto Glym is high quality and the SRP has very little polishing power, which would be perfect for you. Might be the right amount to remove the etching. It also has the protection built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
Thanks Scat I will be picking that up tomorrow and giving it a try. Will it work over the Wax ? And also would it be okay to do just the hood for now ?
It will not be as effective OVER wax. Best to remove the wax first, and you could just do your hood, but I would not just do a "spot". To remove the wax, the quickest method would be to use a %50 or so mixture of Isopropyl alcohol and water. Otherwise Dawn dish soap will work fine.

Good luck!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Addicted to the Z

RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
That's actually a great recommendation. A polish is the only way to remove the etching. Auto Glym is high quality and the SRP has very little polishing power, which would be perfect for you. Might be the right amount to remove the etching. It also has the protection built in.

It will not be as effective OVER wax. Best to remove the wax first, and you could just do your hood, but I would not just do a "spot". To remove the wax, the quickest method would be to use a %50 or so mixture of Isopropyl alcohol and water. Otherwise Dawn dish soap will work fine.

Good luck!
What if I don't get to it for a couple of weeks ? My RAM will be in a garage, I can hardly see the spot will it get worse if I leave it ?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
What if I don't get to it for a couple of weeks ? My RAM will be in a garage, I can hardly see the spot will it get worse if I leave it ?
If you removed the contamination, you can just wax over it and leave it. The spot will still be there, but the damage is done. When you get a chance, go back and polish the spot, but until then, it is fine left alone. The main concern in these instances is to remove the bird bomb first, then address the damage. If you can't yet, just protect the surface to reduce the chances of it happening again.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Addicted to the Z

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
If you removed the contamination, you can just wax over it and leave it. The spot will still be there, but the damage is done. When you get a chance, go back and polish the spot, but until then, it is fine left alone. The main concern in these instances is to remove the bird bomb first, then address the damage. If you can't yet, just protect the surface to reduce the chances of it happening again.
Thanks for the reply back, much appreciated. My RAM is in my garage all tucked in safe and sound with no chance of any new bird bombs.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply back, much appreciated. My RAM is in my garage all tucked in safe and sound with no chance of any new bird bombs.
I know it seems a little anal, but detailers and enthusiasts like myself carry a bird bomb kit. I have small [4oz] spray bottles with a quick detailer in them, and microfibers in a small bundle in my vehicle. In the case of a bird bomb, I can quickly remove the crap before it has a chance to damage the finish.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Addicted to the Z

Smile

A big thanks to Scatpak07, Brad12kx and LeadfootLuke for all their help and suggestions. I just used the "Auto Glym Super Resin Polish" and man that stuff is amazing. What a shine . All evidence of the bird bomb has been eliminated. I would not have believed it would have worked that well. You have to see it to believe it.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:17 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:22
mattg1500 is on a distinguished road

I used the clay bar and meguires scratch x then wax and seemed to work for me.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Dodgegirl1980 is on a distinguished road

That's great..happy for you. I'm sure you're super relieved.

I have a question along the same lines for you experts out there. My truck was parked under a tree for a few days at my apartment and got these weird spots all over the tailgate, chrome bumper, and about 1/3 of the bed. At first I thought it was just water spots from being rained on, but they won't wash off!!! Someone told me to use the clay, but I'm scared to death of making it worse, and I still don't fully grasp when the clay should be used vs. other products like the Auto Glym that worked for RansRAM. Any thoughts? I can try to take a pic if that will help...