DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
sharkster is on a distinguished road
Default Relay Testing

Ive got a 98 Ram 1500 shortbed 5.9 2wd. The usual problems with the front end. Over all its been a damn good truck and takes the punishment.... wish I had gotten the 4wd
Last week I get in to fire it up at work (it always started for me) and it turns, starts, sputters and dies. I tried it again and it did it again. Now it just turns and turns and turns. Let it sit over night and come back to tinker with the relays and it turns and turns. 2 hours of me tinkering with it and im calling it a day. I try to start it and it fires right up. Whoaaaah I jump in and try to make it home 35 miles away.... bad mistake. 30 miles from home it sputters and shut down. I dont hear the pump kicking on during prime. I changed out the cap and rotor and nada (it needed it anyhow)
I have it towed home and pull the relays and start checking them per my haynes manual. Manual says they should be showing approx 75 ohms on testing. Ive tested every one of them from the fuse panel and they are all coming up in the 71 and 72 ohm range. One or two are 73-73.5 and ive got one at 74. Ive never had to test relays before and am not sure if this is in the approx range or if these are ALL bad. Keyword here is approx so Im not sure where the passing mark is?
Just trying to rule out the easy stuff before I lift the bed on this thing to get to the pump. Ive tested in the fuse box for power on the proper side and thats all checking out.
I wanted to check for power at the fuel pump connect with "key-on" but that connector is being a PIA to get off.
Ive checked my spark and its there... needs new plugs but it is there. Ive checked my fuel at the rail and its intermittent. I can push in the schraeder valve while key on and I get nothing. I can turned it one time and push in to cehck for pressure build up and get a little fuel coming out and the next time I get nothing... hit or miss.
Anyhow, my original question is of the relays and the ohm testing range.

thanks
Sponsored links
Old 07-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Your relays are fine. Fuel pump failure in a truck with that kind of age isn't surprising. Seems like Haynes took a complicated route to check those relays though. A fuel pressure gauge will do you more good than anything.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

210,000 miles and almost everything in this truck is still original.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:13 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

I would venture to say the pump finally gave up . You might try banging on the bottom of the tank while someone cranks it and see if it starts . Just make sure it's in park .
Old 07-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I got a used pump from another 98 Ram 1500 with 99k miles on it. With 210k on the ticker on this one I cant justify the $225 for a new one.
I got the tank emptied... hey with only 1/4 mouthful of gas.
Im find of scared of those rusted tank bolts so Im looking at tilting the bed up a little to get at this thing. I know I could replace the rear bolt on the tank strap but that front one looks like it could be an issue if I snap it off. No way to get at the upper side of it. I could of sworn I read there were 8 bolts holding the bed on this frame but I only count 6. This is a 6 foot short bed though. Is it 6 or am I missing 2?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:12 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I'm thinking 6 as well. Leave the rear bolts in but loost so the bed doesnt slide back into the bumper. Check the front of the bed for a ground strap going to the cab or frame.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

ok thanks a bunch