DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-14-2010, 02:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinniste 079 View Post
the question i have is do you think there would be a diffence from this to a lets say aem brute force since those are smooth on the inside verse this becasue its not going to be completly smooth where the couplers are you will have a step up to those.. but then again it must be better then stock
Yes, I'm sure the joints introduce some turbulence, and yes I'm sure the manufactured models are better. The big question is how much better. With the bruteforce somewhere around $320 (give or take) and mine at about $80 I'm not sure there is $240 worth of improvment. I fit the joints together as tightly as possible so there was as little gap as possible. I also debated how many joints I should use. I could have used 2 90's (idea being fewer joints and less turbulance), but instead I used 3 45's and a 90. This let me get the fit closer to what I wanted and gave me a more gradual curve. I felt the trade off is more turbulence because of more joints, but less slow down around the gradual bend (since a fluid substance losses more velocity traveling around a sharp bend even if the diameter stays the same).

In the end it was all about the trade offs but I think I got more than my monies worth.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2010, 02:23 AM

Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: charcoal grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:53
tinniste 079 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSHSLAX View Post
Yes, I'm sure the joints introduce some turbulence, and yes I'm sure the manufactured models are better. The big question is how much better. With the bruteforce somewhere around $320 (give or take) and mine at about $80 I'm not sure there is $240 worth of improvment. I fit the joints together as tightly as possible so there was as little gap as possible. I also debated how many joints I should use. I could have used 2 90's (idea being fewer joints and less turbulance), but instead I used 3 45's and a 90. This let me get the fit closer to what I wanted and gave me a more gradual curve. I felt the trade off is more turbulence because of more joints, but less slow down around the gradual bend (since a fluid substance losses more velocity traveling around a sharp bend even if the diameter stays the same).

In the end it was all about the trade offs but I think I got more than my monies worth.
let us know what the mpg an power is when u upgrade the exhaust. btw it looks pretty sweet i think i might end up doing that if i dont find a cai on craigslist cheap lol
have you seen the ump filters sooooo sweet
http://www.kartek.com/Product/AirFilters/UMP.html
Old 07-14-2010, 03:19 AM

GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
let us know what the mpg an power is when u upgrade the exhaust. btw it looks pretty sweet i think i might end up doing that if i dont find a cai on craigslist cheap lol
have you seen the ump filters sooooo sweet
http://www.kartek.com/Product/AirFilters/UMP.html
No, I had not seen the UMP filters. To be honest I see it has a prefilter and some sort of sealer, but I'm not sure how these differ significantly from other K&N filters. What is the draw specifically?

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
No, I had not seen the UMP filters. To be honest I see it has a prefilter and some sort of sealer, but I'm not sure how these differ significantly from other K&N filters. What is the draw specifically?
they use them alot in offroad racing it creates a spin around the filter and the heavy dirt particles and water drop out the bottom and it says it filters better the a k&n i thought it seemed intresting if i cant hold up to offroad racing im sure it would be good on the street as well
Old 07-14-2010, 03:34 AM

i think the h1 hummers used to run this kind of set up too
Old 07-14-2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:
they use them alot in offroad racing it creates a spin around the filter and the heavy dirt particles and water drop out the bottom and it says it filters better the a k&n i thought it seemed intresting if i cant hold up to offroad racing im sure it would be good on the street as well
Ah, I was just looking at the filter. So if I follow you are talking about the whole setup on that site? I guess I can follow the idea conceptually. I'm not from missouri but when I see something like that I need someone to show me.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:03 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:840
UltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to behold

Very impressive for a DIY CAI. I like the clean look.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 AM

this ilter set up looks intresting too. it uses your stock airbox
http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/TRU30501.html
Old 07-15-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
this ilter set up looks intresting too. it uses your stock airbox
http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/TRU30501.html
This concept had actually occured to me as well. I was thinking of removing the drop in and routing the tube into the empty airbox where I would still connect a K&N cone filter. The draw of this idea being the ability to take advantage of the stock ability to draw cool air from the fender. Instead I just located the filter down and forward to get cooler air. It would be interesting to use a temp probe to see what kind of difference you get in temp at various locations.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
This concept had actually occured to me as well. I was thinking of removing the drop in and routing the tube into the empty airbox where I would still connect a K&N cone filter. The draw of this idea being the ability to take advantage of the stock ability to draw cool air from the fender. Instead I just located the filter down and forward to get cooler air. It would be interesting to use a temp probe to see what kind of difference you get in temp at various locations.
yea it uses a foam filter which is different. i was also thinking about if u ran the filter down lower where the fog lights should go seems like good airflow there as well.
but somebody should do a air temp check it would be cool if u could probe the air getting sucked into the tube as well and see if adding exhaust wrap or anything makes a differnce!!