DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Military

Notices

Military Special Interest Group for members of all branches of the military, active duty or retired. - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 ram 3500 drw
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: RED
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
flacrkr1ton is on a distinguished road
Default Story from my military past

I was stationed at Langley AFB Va. from 1983 to 1986 i was assigned to the 51st fighter squadron we were an F15 fighter AMU. We went on many temporary duty assignments to places all over the states and europe we were sent to vandenburg AFB Ca. for a training excercise during the time there i was working swingshift i was in the process of doing my bpo/preflight on my aircraft i had jumped my number one intake and crawled back to inspect my compressor blades and i heard a loud bang from out side i crawled back out jumped to the ground looked around the nose of my airplane and to my horror the aircraft across the ramp from mine had a fuel truck parked in front of it with fire surrounding it on the ground but worse than that there was an airman standing on the top of the truck[they were defueling the plane because a valve stuck open and allowed fuel to spill on the ground regulations require a person to be on the truck to visually make sure the truck does not over fill.the truck backfired and set fuel on ground on fire] with a look on his face i'll never forget every body stopped what they were doing and grabbed fire extinguishers and started fighting the fire long story short the airman was unharmed the fire dept. got the fire out without any explosions but the airplanes cockpit got full of water and myself and three other guys got to stay there for three extra weeks to put it back together. By the way there was nothing to do there and we were in tents, i hate tents but thats another story.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Wow. I always hated defueling into a truck for that reason and many others. I'm glad everyone was ok.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 07-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vandenburg AFB was an inactive air base when we were there the base was active but no air wing was there so we had to use old equipment that was what caused the fire. Thanks, whats worse than the fire was they gave some air force guys from eglin medals for this and they were at the other end of the flightline and came up when all the work was done i don't think any of our guys got anything.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 PM

RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Don't get me started on that kind of crap. Saw to much of it in my 15 years.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 07-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

That's kinda why i did not stay in too many maggots too much politics ect. kinda sorry now i would have retired in 1999 but the military left me no choice, i'm an only child when my father passed away in 1988 i was seperated honorable conditions [hardship] but thats life.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:09 PM

I was forced to retire under medical in 93, I would have retired in 99 if they'd let me do my 20.

I was in my dream assignment and went through he!! to get it. Spent a year on Shemya.

Now I spend a lot of time trying to get Congress to give me my retirement back instead of taking $1 from it for every $1 I get from the VA.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:42 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

Jeezus...those guys were lucky. And one or more of them shoulda been busted back a stripe or two for stupidity!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Jeezus...those guys were lucky. And one or more of them shoulda been busted back a stripe or two for stupidity!
Actually, the way he described it, it was a by the book defuel into a truck.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

It was by the book it was just old ass equipment that caused it. We had a fire truck do a wash down and then stand by during the operation but they parked behind the aircraft the fuel truck was in front when they shut it down it backfired setting the fuel setting on top of the water on fire. If any one should have been written up it should have been the ones making us use that junk to begin with. No offence maddog but your comment is the exact kind of thinking used in the military always blame the little guy the higher ranking are never wrong ,thats the part i hated about the military.