DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: WHITE
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
centurionhemi is on a distinguished road
Default exhaust mod

I noticed the stock(2007 1500) exhaust system has like two mufflers? A smaller one near the end(rear bumper)

Has anyone simply removed that one and has a straight(maybe)3 1/2 pipe from the main muffler out?
I am thinking about doing that... not sure if there is a benefit but I do not want to get an aftermarket exhaust because I do not want it to be loud.
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurionhemi View Post
I noticed the stock(2007 1500) exhaust system has like two mufflers? A smaller one near the end(rear bumper)

Has anyone simply removed that one and has a straight(maybe)3 1/2 pipe from the main muffler out?
I am thinking about doing that... not sure if there is a benefit but I do not want to get an aftermarket exhaust because I do not want it to be loud.
Would that be the resonator?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:34 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
Would that be the resonator?
That was my first thought also.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTYWCADET09 View Post
That was my first thought also.
MDS was available for the truck hemi engines that year, so I would imagine it is a resonator. Removing it will make it a little louder and deeper, but might add Drone. I am sure someone will pipe in with their experience.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:51 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

There is actually 2 resonators on your truck plus the muffler. If you take them off you may mess with the MDS on your truck. If you remove them you will get a little louder sound and some better flowing exhaust.

I actually added a cat back exhaust which removed the muffler and resonator near the muffler that you see. The kit leaves the one resonator closer to the middle of the truck but I took it off. It made the truck a little louder. I did notice drone but that is due to having an aftermarket exhaust. I am going to guess if you take the resonators off then you may end up with drone. I have a Diablosport Predator which allows the option of taking the MDS off. That eliminates any drone that you may have due to the MDS kicking in.
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 07-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: WHITE
Rep:10
centurionhemi is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your input fellow members. it seems the truck has a bit of tone already and I prefer it quite like that. I do not want to mess with the MDS... but I would like to redirect the where the exhaust tips end. For example maybe two tips out the end of the cab behind the passenger door.
Does anyone have this setup?(pics)
Old 07-14-2010, 08:52 PM
erm

The little "mufflers" at the end are resonators. They attenuate the harmonics in the exhaust system (commonly called "drone") inherent with a shift to the MDS mode of operation.

I'd not remove them unless you are prepared to:

1. Reinstall them when drone drives you out of the truck cabin.

2. Replace your stock system with an aftermarket catback system with resonators.

3. Get a programmer that will allow you to turn off MDS.