DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default Quad x cab door???

Hello, been awile since I last asked a question or answered one but here it goes.

Anyone have any experience with the door latches on the top and bottom of the xcab door, the drivers side does not want to open and I ended up taking the spring off the latch (top) and by using force (my foot) I was able to kick the door open lol.

Now I dont wanna have to do this everytime so does anyone know how to remove the mechanism (spell) Id imagine its a 2 part deal with a bar attaching the top and bottom or would a good lube help it? I sprayed it with pb blaster and bough some grease to put on it once the pb dries. Any other advice???
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:75
Ramrob will become famous soon enough

My 99 has the same problem with the passenger door... but I can't get it open at all. I'll get into it soon if I come with something I'll let you know. If you do let me know.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
magnumv8 is on a distinguished road

I just recently opened my doors. I have yet to buy the $300 dollar lower latches and cables. just buy the tool at autozone for 15 to pop the plastic pieces out of the door, i tired with out and i broke multiple clips from the panel( time to go dig for treasure at junk yard) but remove the panel and take the top latch out (two or thre bolts) and the rod just pops out of the metal clip and slides out. and with the bottom latch i sprayed with kroil. and kicked the door frame with my heel while holding on to it with my hand so it didnt fly open. a good 10-15 kicks and she came right open.Pop the rod out of the handle mechanism, then loosen the three bolts in the bottom of the door to drop the latch out. i kept the lower latches out luckily my top latches were good. now just re-install top latch by sliding it up the inside of the door again and bolt in, and pop the rod back in place. (when i first removed the top latch i thought it was no good but there were. just reset the latch with your finger and pull the rod while it is out to see it it is still good.) when i get the 300 extra bucks i will buy new lower latches.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:52 PM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Thanks Ill give it a try that out seems like if this part is not kept lubed up and serviced it will fail and be a pain in the butt
Old 09-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMGUY99 View Post
Thanks Ill give it a try that out seems like if this part is not kept lubed up and serviced it will fail and be a pain in the butt
I bought a 5 piece plastic body panel tools months ago... sounds like I can put them to use finally.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:31 PM

Pulled the panel off (by hand), and the coils were corroded. Completely frozen, used some compressor lubricating oil and the top latch popped right open. Had to kick the bottom one. Opened and closed it (with kicking) about 10 times and the bottom is dripping with rusty oil and still sticking, but it is finally open.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:05 PM

Used a lot of P B Blaster and a torch on the lower latch. Worked it for about 15-20 mins until it was able to be kicked open. Another 15mins of heat and kicking it finally works normal now. Used more compressor oil on all the latches and they all work great now. The guy before me owned it for 8 months and never tried to fix it so it was pretty stuck.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:16
tdub2112 is on a distinguished road

At least you have doors back there! that's why my grandparents sold it to me! That was the one downfall of the 2nd gen Rams. No true quad cabs.

I had a buddy with a 02 GMC with the same problem. He just oilled up the latch and hinges and it stopped though.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:37 PM

Yea I need one of those panel pullers for my interior, still need to put in the seatbelts back there yea I pb blasted it also will try to oil/grease it to see if that helps. I think the door needs adjusting 2 because the drivers door does not seem to shut that well and I can tell its not lined up with the back door. I wish I had true 4 doors o well maybe my next dodge
Old 09-16-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMGUY99 View Post
Yea I need one of those panel pullers for my interior, still need to put in the seatbelts back there yea I pb blasted it also will try to oil/grease it to see if that helps. I think the door needs adjusting 2 because the drivers door does not seem to shut that well and I can tell its not lined up with the back door. I wish I had true 4 doors o well maybe my next dodge
I bought a 5 pc body panel puller set. Didn't use it for the back doors but was handy for the fronts. I didn't break any tabs or push pins.