DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
squid929 is on a distinguished road
Default Rhino vs Line-X

I know this has been beaten around but the results as to which one seems 50-50 at best.
So I"ll ask anyway; if I'm just using this truck for light duty and not tossing wood, metal, drywall bla bla bla into the back, is the Rhino good enough? Does rhino actually have UV protection built into the black? Do they spray the tail gate bed area? I looked at the pics that were posted up of the Rhino but couldn't tell. I spoke with a Line-X rep and they obviously state theirs is superior (go figure) albeit a bit more money. The dealer I purchased the truck from uses the Rhino intaller. Both are just short of $700 CDN. but with Line-X you have to specify the uv protection, which one would think they could just put it in there and be done with it.
Anyway, I'm undecided on which one to go with, some say the Rhino peels and fades??? Apparently it's no advantage (at this point) getting the dealer to have this installed other than it will be done when I pick up the.....pick up.
Somebody make up my mind LOL!
Sponsored links
Old 07-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

When I had my truck sprayed , they sprayed what I wanted . I was told then that Rhino didn't have the UV protection in the formulation and will fade out on ya . I didn't like the price that Linex wanted , so I went with Permatech . I paid $425.00 over the rail .
Old 07-24-2010, 11:24 AM

Vehicle: 2010 slt quad cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: mineral gray
Rep:18
erik108 is on a distinguished road

i paid $ 76,99 for the herculiner paint its a full kit brushes, rollers, painted the bed myself ( took 3 hours) looks awesome, I have all my ram friends going to autozone to by it, might want to look into it, it really came out great !!!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:48 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

I have Rhino and I love it. I admit it does fade, but so far the fading is not bad. Almost like it's not really faded, it's just not shiney anymore. I have a couple scuffs on it but the first ones I got faded away and now I have new ones from other stuff I've draged across it. I have one small gouge (1/2 or 1/3 the size of a dime) from a washer dryer combo my wife couldn't help me lift. I have the underrail spray and kept my rail caps. The bed surface of the tailgate is sprayed also.

Mine cost $375 plus tax, but my dealer hooked me up with a guy who did mine at dealer cost instead of full retail.

I can tell you I'm not dissappointed so far. The only line-x I've ever seen was not UV protected and it looked bad. Albeit it was older than my rhino by several years. I have heard their UV protectant works great though, I just haven't seen one in person.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:03 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Personally I think they're both comparable. What was important to me was the no-slip surface.

I really don't care about fading because its a functional mod, not one I look at as an appearance mod.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 07-24-2010, 12:54 PM
erm

Tough call. I'd ask the Line-X guy about adding UV protection, spraying up to and over the rail and doing the tailgate.

Then ask the Rhino guy the same questions.

Then compare the prices when you are apples to apples on the product and application.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:26 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

I had Line-X in my '98 Dakota (black and over the rail). Other than a little fading (11 yrs of Houston sun!) it wore great! When I say fading, it's really more of a dulling/loss of sheen. My dad has Rhino in his '07 F-150 and claims it's easier on his knees when he needs to get up under his toneau cover (it's thicker and 'spongier'). There aren't any Line-X dealers in Houston anymore so I went with Ultimate X-treme for my new '09 Ram. It's basically identical to the Line-X. It cost me $275 (under the rail, tailgate included). I even got him to shoot a ram stencil I made on the front of the bed for me. It looks great. I wouldn't own a truck without a spray-in anymore. It's just too easy to take care of, keeps most loads from shifting too badly and looks good doing it. I'd say you can't go wrong with either the high-temp Line-X or the low-temp Rhino. As far as I know, they both still come with lifetime warranties and that's what's going to get you by later on down the road if you do manage to damage it.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:16 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Between the two it ia a 50/50 split. I went with a rhino and my dad went with Line-X. Both installed were about $500 cdn, neither has faded but dulled down like everyone says. I put protectant on my to bring the shine back but it does wash off like everything else.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:40 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 - 5.7L HEMI 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:60
Valldar will become famous soon enough

I got Rhino in my bed, its awesome, I've only had it a year so i cant really say about the fading thing but from what ive noticed so far its not bad at all... I paid $325 for over the rail and had sand added on the bottom to add lots of traction

Pics::

-=UPGRADES=- Focal K2 Component Speakers // 2x Boston G210-44 Subs // 2x JL 500/1 & 300/4 Amps // Rhino Lining Bed // Grillcraft Black Grille // 35w 5000k HID Fogs // 50w 6000k HID Heads // 0 Gauge Engine Wire Upgrade
Old 07-26-2010, 06:30 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4x4 Crew
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:50
Subydude09 will become famous soon enough

I've got Line-X, paid $550 for under the rail. So far so good, I have no issues with it, looks great and does it's job. Wether or not it's UV protected, I don't know, but I have a roll on cover, so it's not a big concern to me.