DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default Supercharger vs. turbo

Hey guys, I don't know alot about engines, but I have an 08 dodge ram hemi. I was wondering which would be better the supercharger or turbo, and what I would have to modify to put them on. I know the supercharger requires modification to the engine, but could someone tell me what. Does the turbo require mods?

Thanks to all you guys for the help and to this website to help idiots
like me.
Sponsored links
Old 07-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
USC Ram is on a distinguished road

Well, a supercharger would get you more power. They make turbo and supercharger kits for rams, I'm not sure if you would need a new tranny or not, I'm not familiar enough with the stock 3rd gen transmission to know if it would be able to handle all that extra power...
Old 07-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

I think I would start by googling supercharger vs turbo or something like that. There is a lot to both of them.

A supercharger won't make more more than a turbo. When you compare them psi to psi the turbo will actually make more becuase it doesn't take hp to spin it.

What are your goals? Do you go to the track a lot or will it be a street truck? These questions will also help to answer your question.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:32 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:210
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Ram View Post
Well, a supercharger would get you more power. They make turbo and supercharger kits for rams, I'm not sure if you would need a new tranny or not, I'm not familiar enough with the stock 3rd gen transmission to know if it would be able to handle all that extra power...
actually...thats not true at all. A properly sized turbo would actually net you much more horsepower than a supercharger...however, its all in what you want.

A supercharger will give you low end mid range power. Meaning, as soon as you hit the pedal, your already making boost, so...it just keeps pulling till you shift. However, it loses efficiency at higher RPM (at low end, if it makes you 150hp, it takes 20hp - at high end, if it makes you 150 hp, its taking 75hp to run it). A supercharger takes power away just to spin it, meaning that you aren't getting the full gain from it. But, its still definitley worth it, and...if your just looking for some street fun...would probably be the better choice.

Now...a turbo takes absolutley no power to run it (it uses wasted exhaust energy to make boost). However...its drawback is that it is more geared for higher RPM power. You won't see full boost until about 3000RPM. Also, it is much easier to intercool a turbo, resulting in even more power due to the cooler air charge. Where a turbo would be better is on the track all out drag racing...or even something as simple as pulling a heavy trailer.

Also...superchargers put more stress on an engine then a turbo does. Because, a turbo is only making boost when you put a heavy load on the engine. A supercharger, however, is making a set amount of boost at certain RPM no matter how you drive it.

So...as I said. Its all in what you want out of your truck.

A supercharger is easier, being more of a bolt on affair...whereas a turbo will require installing new parts, and/or fabricating new ones, running vacuum/boost lines, plumbing the wastegate/intercooler piping.
Both will require some computer modifications (ie, more fuel to support the increased amount of air).
I would definitley install a cam to maximize the power increase (with a turbo engine, you want more valve overlap, however, in a supercharged engine, you want very little).
Also, with a turbo you will need a very free flowing exhaust as you want absolutley no backpressure behind it, which will help spool time a lot. With a supercharger, you want free flowing exhaust, but, as with an N/A engine...you don't want it to flow too freely, as you want some back pressure.
Also, I would recommend a wideband o2 sensor with a gauge with either route to monitor your air/fuel ratio so you can see a problem before it causes a bigger one.

But, figure out how you want your truck to perform (low end/mid range, or top end) and what you will be using it for. This is the most important factor in your decision.
Supercharger = low end/mid range (red light to red light)
Turbo = mid range/high end (all out drag racing, pulling a trailer, driving in a very hilly area)[on a hill, you can leave your foot in the same spot...the turbo will spool up, making more power, and the engine can pull you up the hill...all without even moving the throttle. Pretty cool actually)

As far as your trans...I'd put a shift kit in it, and maybe even upgrade the torque converter. But, as long as you aren't going to crazy power levels, I would think you'd be okay.

Either way you go, though....you'd have to keep boost relatively low. I don't know what your static compression ratio is...but...its higher than most boosted engines. So, something to keep in mind.
If you're really planning on going all out race truck...as set of lower compression pistons would be a good upgrade, so you can up the boost safely.

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH

Last edited by strang3majik; 07-24-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:44 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

I personally like the supercharger more than the turbo. And I have to agree with Strang that the turbo can make way more than the supercharger. I like the charger since there is less lag and its along the whole power band. I would only do a twin turbo system not a single.

You should beef the internals up if you want to make some serious power. You can bolt them on but you wont be able to crank the boost all the way up, youd be holding the fun back. If you get the internals all ready for a serious beating you can run more psi which results in more horespower!

I would also suggest doing the whole exhaust if you do not have that already. If your forcing induction into the motor you have to get rid of it. So go with some long tube headers and high flow cats and cat back exhaust. You will need a tuner to tune the computer after changing the crap out of it. If you go to a shop that has a dyno they should be able to tune it for you, and properly.

Hey Strang that was a great write up by the way!!

Good luck man!
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 07-24-2010, 11:55 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 5.7L HEMI
Trim Level: Big Horn, Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:47
CHILLZ HEMI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CHILLZ HEMI

with strang3majik....and i would personally go with a supercharger myself...to be specific, the Pro Charger one which required no internal upgrades or additional parts...However it will set you back about 5k, but the kit is well worth it from what ive read, and is quite easy to install yourself if you have a garage or carport area to work in...supercharger on a ram just sounds better than a turbo to me, just sounds like it still has that muscle truck sound when you say "my ram is supercharged"...
Old 07-25-2010, 12:07 AM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

As long as you don't get real crazy with the boost you can keep the stock bottom end . But once you start wanting more the chances of total destruction come into play .
Old 07-25-2010, 05:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
USC Ram is on a distinguished road

^^^^ lol my bad, for some reason i wrote supercharger instead of turbo....must have been thinking about something else
Old 07-25-2010, 08:45 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

it's ok, we all do it from time to time. I had written a similar tiriad to strange's then fell asleep on the couch so I lost my thunder when I woke up He gave some great info there, and the most important choice is how you plan on driving the truck, but for most people with a gas motor, the supercharger is the way to go, but the turbo has endless possibilities for making boost.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:33 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Rep:210
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

Haha...sorry for stealing your thunder CDnoilRAM.
But, this is something I have been putting a lot of thought into, myself. Figured I'd share what my research has given me

Something else to think about is the different kind of superchargers. You have centrifigal superchargers, which are basically a belt driven turbo, which are geared more for mid range high end since it has to spool up as well. But, they are what many of the kits you buy are. They do make instant boost, just not a lot of boost as quickly as a Roots type or Twin Screw supercharger, which is the one that sits atop the manifold.

The benefit to a centrifigal supercharger is that they can be easily intercooled (just run the piping). Where as a roots type or twin screw requires a special plate be made and water ran through it.

So, if you're set on superchargers, thats something else you'll have to choose is which you'd rather have.

I personally like roots type/twin screw superchargers just because they look evil, and give that classic blower whine, and make instant boot, but, they aren't as easy to make work, unless you happen to find a kit for them as well.

Centrifigals are basically universal, minus the bracket to mount it so you can put a belt around it.

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH