DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
BlueLightning is on a distinguished road
Question New Truck Questions

Hello All,

I just purchased my 2010 truck two days ago and have been going through the manuals. I had a few questions I wanted to see if someone could help me with:

I didn’t know that 89 octane was recommended, do most people use 89 vs. 87?
Changing the spark plugs at 30k miles is required, does everyone do this? Why so often?
The oil filter looks like it will train right on the steering assembly, does anyone have a best procedure for changing oil?
My salesman said that a dodge dealer needs to perform all of the regular maintenance including oil changes. I can’t imagine this is truck, wouldn’t that be illegal? In the past I have always kept receipts for oil/filters.
The manual recommends short wide open throttle runs while on the highway during the 300 mile break-in period. What do most people do of the break-in?

I apologize if these have been asked before, I’m still getting used to this site and didn’t see a search area.

Thanks,

Pete
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 AM
erm

Hi Pete. Here's answers to your questions.

1. You can try 87 but I expect you'll experience detonation (pinging) to occur, especially during high ambient temperatures under a load, such as going uphill.

2. I know people who have pulled their plugs to inspect them at 30K. Some need new plugs, some don't. The plug change interval isn't too short. Consider you are running a truck and not a Prius. Heavier duty vehicles with V8's don't necessarily go through plugs but if they are used as intended, plug life is shorter than with a small car.

3. I haven't seen the orientation of the oil filter on your truck but what I would do is go down to the dealer and ask the service writer or a tech to show you how they get it off and on.

4. Forget about what the salesman says. Read your warranty paperwork. You are required to maintain your vehicle per the manufacturer's recommendations during the warranty period and you should keep receipts showing you have done so. However, you are NOT required by that warranty to have it done at a dealer's shop. Of course, any warranty or TSB work you need done should be performed by the dealer.

5. What I do with the break-in is follow the recommendations. After the first 500 or so miles, I change the oil and oil filter and check all fluid levels.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1885
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Michaels answers are pretty much spot-on but I will add this with regard to the plugs. The Hemi uses copper core plugs, hence the shorter interval. The use of platinum and possibly even iridium can cause the coil packs to melt due to different resistence values.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
BlueLightning is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the quick responses.

The only reason I thought the 30k spark plug interval was short is because my last two truck (2001 F-150 & 200 F-150 Lightning) didn't require plug changes until 100k miles. My brother's 2007 Avalanche also doesn't require plug changes until 100k.

Still learning the intricacies of the Hemi. I’ve skimmed through most of my owner’s manual DVD but still have a lot of details to read.

Thanks for the help,

Pete
Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1885
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

That's because GM and Ford chose to use platinum/iridium plugs. I suspect (at least in Ford's case) this is because changing the plugs is a huge pain in the ass. Ford is also experiencing problems with plugs seizing in the heads of the 5.4 engines. Personally, I prefer pulling the plugs more often so I can see what's happening in my cylinders.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Steel Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
wallym777 is on a distinguished road

+1 on previous answers. My truck is a 2010, only 2000 miles on it. I will do my own oil changes. I previously had a 2004 Hemi Ram, and I did do plugs every 30K and have always used 89 octane in both vehicles.