DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-28-2010, 01:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
bldheadslick is on a distinguished road
Default loose steering

Hello everyone. Just bought a lifted 98 dodge ram 4x4 sport. Noticed there is alot of play while steering. I thought it could be an alignment issue because it looks as though almost all bushings were replaced and thought it may have thrown everything off. However....found this site and noticed that people have had similar issues related to gear boxes and such. Now i'm no motorhead by any means but like to fix things on my own if possible. So....my question is toying with the gear box something a novice should be playing with. Think I should just take it in and see what they say but i dont have really have "a mechanic", and you can't trust some these days. Thanks for any suggestions and ideas!

D.C.
Sponsored links
Old 07-28-2010, 10:05 AM
erm

Loose steering feel may be caused by a bad steering link, trac bar or a worn steering box. You could replace a part, play with it, replace another, play with it, and this could go on forever.

Find a good tire/wheel shop that does suspension/alignment work and have them look at it. Otherwise, you'll drive yourself crazy.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Track bars, intermediate shafts and gear boxes are the most common culprits and while you can certainly do the intermediate shaft and track bar yourself, trying to adjust the gearbox isn't a good idea. You can replace it yourself though, if you have the right tools.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 2500 4X4 Quad Cab Long Be
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: brown/silver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
mike75 is on a distinguished road

If you find that its the steering gear(surprise, surprise), pick up OFF ROAD mag #44- september 2010 ( I dont know how they can be that early, but oh, well)- check out the article on page 50- "Finally, a solution for '94-to-'01 Dodges" NEW DODGE STEERING GEAR. Its actually an original Delphi box with all new internals by PSC motorsports, and they also offer a sector shaft stabilizer bracket to prevent that all to common ailment. Ive been driving my tank daily as a service vehicle and they just dont make the lanes wide enough for my drifting front end so I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered the box and bracket, give me 2 weeks and Ill let you know how it went!
Old 07-31-2010, 11:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:12
mjonesjr is on a distinguished road

Wow, thanks for the post.

Do you have a link to where you ordered the steering box?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike75 View Post
If you find that its the steering gear(surprise, surprise), pick up OFF ROAD mag #44- september 2010 ( I dont know how they can be that early, but oh, well)- check out the article on page 50- "Finally, a solution for '94-to-'01 Dodges" NEW DODGE STEERING GEAR. Its actually an original Delphi box with all new internals by PSC motorsports, and they also offer a sector shaft stabilizer bracket to prevent that all to common ailment. Ive been driving my tank daily as a service vehicle and they just dont make the lanes wide enough for my drifting front end so I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered the box and bracket, give me 2 weeks and Ill let you know how it went!

I'll be looking forward to hearing this myself. Are you replacing the intermediate shaft as well? Don't forget to double check the rest of the front end for slop as well!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 2500 4X4 Quad Cab Long Be
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: brown/silver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
mike75 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

- well its been just over 2 days and Ive got to say- if you have a bad steering box dont hesitate to get this one- my steering wheel play is now zero! Ive actually had to readjust because the steering response is so quick. The install was easy, although I'd recommend a helping hand with the sway bar at the last bolt, it swings away pretty fast and heavy if your not holding on to it tightly (fortunately it missed!). Ive never replaced a steering gear before so when I went to bleed the air it was pretty nerve racking to hear that pump make so much racket- but once it had all the air out it was like a new truck! Not bad for 235000 miles!