DODGE RAM FORUM banner

loose steering

20K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mike75 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. Just bought a lifted 98 dodge ram 4x4 sport. Noticed there is alot of play while steering. I thought it could be an alignment issue because it looks as though almost all bushings were replaced and thought it may have thrown everything off. However....found this site and noticed that people have had similar issues related to gear boxes and such. Now i'm no motorhead by any means but like to fix things on my own if possible. So....my question is toying with the gear box something a novice should be playing with. Think I should just take it in and see what they say but i dont have really have "a mechanic", and you can't trust some these days. Thanks for any suggestions and ideas!

D.C.

G
#2 ·
Loose steering feel may be caused by a bad steering link, trac bar or a worn steering box. You could replace a part, play with it, replace another, play with it, and this could go on forever.

Find a good tire/wheel shop that does suspension/alignment work and have them look at it. Otherwise, you'll drive yourself crazy.

#3 ·
Track bars, intermediate shafts and gear boxes are the most common culprits and while you can certainly do the intermediate shaft and track bar yourself, trying to adjust the gearbox isn't a good idea. You can replace it yourself though, if you have the right tools.

#4 ·
If you find that its the steering gear(surprise, surprise), pick up OFF ROAD mag #44- september 2010 ( I dont know how they can be that early, but oh, well)- check out the article on page 50- "Finally, a solution for '94-to-'01 Dodges" NEW DODGE STEERING GEAR. Its actually an original Delphi box with all new internals by PSC motorsports, and they also offer a sector shaft stabilizer bracket to prevent that all to common ailment. Ive been driving my tank daily as a service vehicle and they just dont make the lanes wide enough for my drifting front end so I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered the box and bracket, give me 2 weeks and Ill let you know how it went!

#7 ·
:Wow1:- well its been just over 2 days and Ive got to say- if you have a bad steering box dont hesitate to get this one- my steering wheel play is now zero! Ive actually had to readjust because the steering response is so quick. The install was easy, although I'd recommend a helping hand with the sway bar at the last bolt, it swings away pretty fast and heavy if your not holding on to it tightly (fortunately it missed!). Ive never replaced a steering gear before so when I went to bleed the air it was pretty nerve racking to hear that pump make so much racket- but once it had all the air out it was like a new truck! Not bad for 235000 miles!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.