DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
blackonblack13 is on a distinguished road
Default 6" Lift Wheels n Tires

Hello all,

I have a 2009 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 with 43k miles and frankly I am bored with it. Instead of buying new and jumping into another payment I was thinking I would just change it up a bit. I am thinking of getting a lift with a wheel and tire package.

I am a newbie when it comes to lifts. I have been lurkin on the forums and just seem to get more and more confused with all the options out there. So far, I am thinking the RCX 6" lift, 20x10 Fuel Coupler wheels, and 35x12.5x20 Nitto trail grapplers. I notice the wheels come in -12 and -24 offset, which do I need to go with? Should I run 35's or 37's? I also will be ordering bilstein shocks instead of using the shocks that come with the kit.

Please let me know if this is a good setup or if I need to order anything else in addition to the lift kit. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance. Also a few pics of my current setup, 24" KMC D2 on Pirrelli Scorpions.

Or should I just be silly and get a new truck?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ram.jpg (115.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg ram2.jpg (114.6 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored links
Old 05-27-2015, 05:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: '14 RAM 1500 R.Cab 4X4 Shorty
Trim Level: TRADESMAN
Color: FLAME RED
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:119
Desert Ram will become famous soon enoughDesert Ram will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum blackonblack13

Until someone who knows about lifts then I do chimes in
give the sites user friendly ' Search ' feature a test drive

Again, Welcome !
Old 05-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:2051
brandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum!!

I'd recommend a Zone kit over Rough Country. For a little bit more money you get far better quality components and warranty. The Zone 6" kit with 5" rear coils and Bilsteins set to 2.1" on the front is one of the most common setups guys will run. It will give you the lift you want and have the truck sitting level.

As far as wheels/tires go that's really up to you. A the offset refers to how far the wheel/tire will stick out from under the truck. A -24 offset will stick out 0.5" further on each side than a -12 offset. Tire size is up to you as well. If you go with the lift setup I stated above you can run either 35's or 37's however you will want to stick with a -12 offset wheel if you go for 37's so they won't rub as bad. You wouldn't have any rubbing issues with 35's. Either one will look good, just depends on what your preference is.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Welcome to the forum!!

I'd recommend a Zone kit over Rough Country. For a little bit more money you get far better quality components and warranty. The Zone 6" kit with 5" rear coils and Bilsteins set to 2.1" on the front is one of the most common setups guys will run. It will give you the lift you want and have the truck sitting level.
Grrrrrrrr lol, thanks for the advice! Can anyone else chime in on RCX vs Zone? I can get a RCX for $1480 installed and the Zone is $1700 for just the kit. I don't mind paying the xtra $$$ if it's worth it but I do like money in my pocket.

Last edited by blackonblack13; 05-27-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond repute

RCX doesn't powder coat a few of the parts that come in the kit. The steering knuckles being one of that main ones. So unless you have them powdercoated or paint them yourself they'll rust in no time. They also only provide coil spacers to achieve the rear lift rather than full lift coils. The spacers are not ideal as they create a hinge point in the rear suspension that could potentially cause issues plus you'll hear them clunking around in the back going over bumps or off-roading as they'll be in direct contact with the frame (steel on steel).

Zone's kit comes fully powdercoated and they offer a better warranty as well. Zone is owned by the same company that owns BDS so they have a huge corporate side backing them. Their warranty is similar to BDS's "no fine print" warranty.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
RCX doesn't powder coat a few of the parts that come in the kit. The steering knuckles being one of that main ones. So unless you have them powdercoated or paint them yourself they'll rust in no time. They also only provide coil spacers to achieve the rear lift rather than full lift coils. The spacers are not ideal as they create a hinge point in the rear suspension that could potentially cause issues plus you'll hear them clunking around in the back going over bumps or off-roading as they'll be in direct contact with the frame (steel on steel).

Zone's kit comes fully powdercoated and they offer a better warranty as well. Zone is owned by the same company that owns BDS so they have a huge corporate side backing them. Their warranty is similar to BDS's "no fine print" warranty.
Ok, my buddy did tell me to go with full coils in the back and I don't like rust! So dammit I might do the zone kit! Would you still recommend the blistein shocks? I gotta call my local shops because all I heard is Pro Comp and RCX are in the local shops by me. Rust should not be a problem as I live in Texas but I hope to move back to Michigan soon.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Bilstein shocks are definitely a good option. You want the Bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts on the front for sure so you can set them at 2.1" and bring the truck up to level. On the rear you can go with what you want. Bilstein's or Fox 2.0's are both good options.

ProComp uses a hokey rear lift system as well. It's essentially a large spacer that just goes under the stock rear coil rather than on top like RCX.

Even in Texas the rust would be an issue... it's a cast iron piece. Washing the truck and leaving water to sit on it will create surface rust and look like crap.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:16 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:553
Thunderhorse is a name known to allThunderhorse is a name known to allThunderhorse is a name known to allThunderhorse is a name known to allThunderhorse is a name known to allThunderhorse is a name known to all

I would base your decision between 35s and 37s on what gears you have. Unless you're open to re-gearing. 35s may look a little small with 6" since a lot of guys who run 35s just do it with a level. No offense, but I think either will look much better than the 24s you have now.

Not to sway you one way or another, but suspension (i.e. your lift) is not something to cheap out on.

Thunderhorse-Built: 25 Feb 2013 Warren, Michigan; Bought: 28 May 2013
Huskyliner Weatherbeaters, door edge guards, Line-X bedliner, Kryptek Typhon Cordura seat covers w/ MOLLE panels (review), Console Vault (install/review), Bilstein 4600s (thread), BFG T/A KO2 LT275/60/20s (thread), Borla XR-1 (thread-removed), Matte black Plasti-dipped center console bezel, BT catch can, Corsa 14405 cat back.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
I would base your decision between 35s and 37s on what gears you have. Unless you're open to re-gearing. 35s may look a little small with 6" since a lot of guys who run 35s just do it with a level. No offense, but I think either will look much better than the 24s you have now.

Not to sway you one way or another, but suspension (i.e. your lift) is not something to cheap out on.
so do you think a 4" lift will look better with the 35's? Lol, no offense taken with the 24's comment. I think it looks pretty damn good but I want something different. Yeah I don't plan to go cheap I just don't want to spend more than I have to... I have gotten some pretty good advice so far, I'm new to lifts and learning as much as I can.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:31 AM
Yup! It's Got A HEMI.....

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximium Steel
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:46
Cheyenne71 is on a distinguished road
Cool

I have the 4" Zone w/coils and 5100's set at 1.4. I also have 20X10 FUEL PVD Hostage w/-12 offset and 35's.

I personally think 35's look to small on 6" lift, but that's my opinion. Also I'm still able to fit the truck in my 7' garage which is a plus!

De-Badged, Replaced Front/Rear Emblems w/AMI Billet, SS Door Sills, Diablo Trinity T-1000, Retro Shop Headlight/Fog HID's, PIAA Extreme White Highs, BedRug Liner, ReTrax Pro Tonneau, 20% Wondow Tint w/10" Eyebrow Done, Zone 4" lift w/3" coils and Bilstein 5100's set at .7, Fuel PVD Chrome Hostage 20X10 w/-12 Offset, Cooper ST Maxx 35X12.50R20 Tires, Maggie 18" w/ Magnaflow 5" Double Walled Tips.

Last edited by Cheyenne71; 05-31-2015 at 12:33 AM.