DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 - 5.7L HEMI 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:60
Valldar will become famous soon enough
Default Getting a Cat-Back / Magnaflow Question

Ok, so in a few weeks or so I'm going to get an exhaust system (cat-back) and I've pretty much decided on the magnaflow system because of their lifetime warranty, full 100% stainless steel and awesome sound.

My question is... On the magnaflow website there are 2 options for the single side exit (stock exit position) cat back system. One of them says for solid front axle and another for independent front suspension. I think mine is independent but then when i bring up the PDF instructions for the install, it says the solid front axle design is for the Ram 1500 with 4x4 (which I have) so im a bit confused on the issue.

So here is the one for independent front suspension:

http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/pdfs/16699.pdf

And this one is for the solid front axle (which the manual says is for 4x4):

http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/pdfs/16696.pdf

Also, I want to do the install myself, and I'm also not 100% sure where exactly either system goes. Under my truck I look where the 2 main pipes off the headers join into 1 pipe, then they go into the first chamber about the side of a pumpkin (which I think is the catalitic converter) then it goes into a huge chamber (which im almost 100% sure is the main muffler) then the exhaust continues over my rear axle and finally hits a 3rd chamber which I believe is a 2nd muffler right before the exhaust exit position.

Ill post up pics in a second with what exactly I'm talking about, but I just wanna know what each of these pieces are and how exactly to install my magnaflow system if I get it and if I would need to hacksaw anything...

Any help would be much appreciated

-=UPGRADES=- Focal K2 Component Speakers // 2x Boston G210-44 Subs // 2x JL 500/1 & 300/4 Amps // Rhino Lining Bed // Grillcraft Black Grille // 35w 5000k HID Fogs // 50w 6000k HID Heads // 0 Gauge Engine Wire Upgrade
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2010, 05:25 PM

Alright here are the pictures, I just want to clarify what all these things are to be 100% sure so if I do the exhaust myself I dont drive around for a week without a cat

So here are the pictures of my current 100% stock exhause, just bare with me and my mechanical retardedness... Just trying to figure out exactly what all this stuff is..

Starting from the front of the truck, this picture is right after the 2 main pipes off the headers join...
My question is, what is this thing? I'm pretty sure its the catalitic converter since its the first large chamber after the pipes join together into the 1 main exhaust pipe. Also, for installation of the magnaflow, this thing has a CLAMP in front of it (you can see the ring to the right of the word "headers") and then BEHIND the chamber, the pipe continues to the rest of the exhaust but is WELDED on....

Continuing down the exhaust line, behind what I think is the Cat in the last picture, the pipe hits this huge chamber, which im 99% sure is the main muffler. I know I will be removing this when I install the magnaflow, and as you can see in FRONT of the muffler, the pipe is held on with a clamp and not welded.

Over the rear axle, and you can see the stock exhaust exit position, and there is this 3rd chamber in my exhaust line, but I'm not sure what this is either, but I think its a 2nd muffler? And I know that the new magnaflow system will replace all of this, and it DOESNT have this chamber as seen in magnaflow's pictures...

And last I tried to take a picture of my whole exhaust system to clarify a few things. On the very top middle of the picture there is a cylinder shaped chamber and I'm not sure what this is either. I know I wont be removing it for my cat-back system but I'd just like to know what it is if anyone has an idea Also, there is one of them on each side of the truck. And in the rest of the pictures I'm just pointing to the various parts of my exhaust system.

Thanks for any and all help that I get, this site is such an awesome wealth of info and assistance. I just need to know which exact system I need to order and how to install it with assurance. This info will help me be more confident when installing this myself

-=UPGRADES=- Focal K2 Component Speakers // 2x Boston G210-44 Subs // 2x JL 500/1 & 300/4 Amps // Rhino Lining Bed // Grillcraft Black Grille // 35w 5000k HID Fogs // 50w 6000k HID Heads // 0 Gauge Engine Wire Upgrade
Old 08-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 5.7 hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: mineral gray metallic
Rep:63
greendaze will become famous soon enough

I did the magnaflow cat back system on my 08 Ram. Great choice! The 2 small cans under your headers are your cats. The magnaflow system connects right after the 2 pipes join into 1. As far as I know the largest can (or more of a tank shape) is you muffler, the smaller one near the exhaust tip should be your resonator, not sure about the third in the middle. All 3 stock cans will be replaced by the magnaflow system, I've been told the cats on these rams are fairly high-flow cats so you can keep those! Just a few tips about the magnaflow: There is a very slight drone sound when the MDS is on (not sure if thats an issue for your year though), the magnaflow pipes are a lesser quality stainless than the muffler and tips and will rust slightly so dont be surprized. As far as installation, its fairly straight forward but a second person will come in handy to hold things up. I ran into a problem with the stock clamp where the 2 pipes connect into one, the factory clamp was overtightened and creased the pipes together beware it might take a bit longer than expected if you run into this. Over all I think the magnaflow is the best for the money so good luck with yours! Anybody with more knowledge feel free to help out and correct me if needed!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:55 PM
erm

The cats are right at the end of the exhaust manifolds. The first can past the Y pipe is a resonator. The large can about 1/2 way down is a muffler. The last can near the tailpipe is a resonator.

I'd start with a kit that removes all three cans. Look for one with a resonator at the back end (or two resonators if you go with a dual out system. You'll want the resonator(s) as when you go into MDS mode, the drone needs to be dampened/resonated out. If you don't have them, you won't like the sound AT ALL!

If you get the stainless steel Magnaflow system, it comes with a lifetime rust through warranty.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the info guys cleared a lot of things up for me!

My other question is I want the single side exit exhaust position (stock exit) which one of the 2 that I linked above is the correct one for my truck if its a 4x4?

Also I'm not 100% sure why one comes with an extra straight long pipe to eliminate one of the resonators perhaps? I think the first exhaust setup without the pipe extension attaches from the 2nd resonator back, (replacing the muffler) and the 2nd resonator but im not sure... this is confusing to me lol

Also whats MDS?

Thanks again for the help guys!

Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:10
hemitrx4 is on a distinguished road

The kit with the extra straight pipe should be to replace the first resonator. I think you`re right about the one without the extra pipe since not all rams have that first resonator, my 2008 doesn`t, just a straight pipe. I would get the one that replaces both resonators and the muffler.
MDS is multiple displacement system. I`m not sure if they had it on the 2006 or not but all it does is under light throttle or when using cruise control it shuts off I think 4 of the cylinders. I just put a Flowmaster system on mine and it doesn`t sound that bad in mds mode. If you don`t like the sound you can get a computer programmer that allows you to disable the mds.I`m gonna try it but it won`t be until next year. As far as any problems installing your exhaust it`s pretty straight forward. There should be a clamp above your rear axle, just loosen that and the one in front of the first resonator and it should come right apart, probably with the help of a hammer like mine was. The install is easy, there should be instructions with pics showing parts locations. Just get everything in place and lined up before you tighten the clamps in case you need to make adjustments. I did mine in about 3-4 hours. Just a tip though, look at the instructions first and figure out what you need to do first before you start taking stuff apart. I spent 15-20 mins checking instructions and looking under the truck. That way once you start you can just do it and get it done without having to stop every 5 mins to see whats next. Hope this helps.

Last edited by hemitrx4; 08-06-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:39 AM

Thanks Hemitrx4, info was helpful!

And I just wanna make sure that in the last picture I posted, that I'm sure exactly which part the catalitic converter is.

So in my last pic I showed ONE of the TWO cylinder chambers on EACH side of my truck, on the 2 pipes coming off the headers before joining into one pipe for the exhaust. Its the picture with my yellow caption "Whats this round thing" and like i said before there are two of them, one on each side.

I was told on here that they are the Catalitic Converters, and that I have two of them. The only reason I am skeptical of that is I've never heard of a car with TWO cat's on it, especially since they contain precious metals like platinum. And if they are the cat's then that means i have 2 resonators one before and after the muffler. Also my friend who knows a good amount of cars took a loot under my truck and hes pretty sure that the large chamber BEFORE my muffler is he cat, but he doesnt know what the other 2 cylinder shaped chambers up by my header leads are so ya....

Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2010, 05:33 PM
erm

Those are the cats. One per exhaust bank is pretty normal for a V8. Hell, my SRT8 has a pre-cat and a cat on each side so I have 4 cats on my car...that's 4 of them that can plug up and 4 O2 sensors that can go bad...lucky me.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

tell your friend that he wouldn't know what a cat looked like if it were staring him in the face... j.k., a sure tell tale sign is look for 02 sensors on the cat or almost directly after them. They have to monitor the cats and lets the pcm know if they're workin correctly. The 'little mufflers' (one right after Y pipe and one at end of exhaust are resonators)... main reason for these is to muffle the exhaust when it goes into MDS mode. unless you turn the mds off...keep one of the reso's on or it will sound like crap...
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Old 08-08-2010, 03:45 PM

Thanks MADDOG and cheffred, great info I feel much better now!

I was pretty sure that those 2 were the cats but i just needed to be sure.

And when i do get the magnaflow I'll keep the front resonator like you suggested and explained, sounds like a good idea to me (no pun intended)