DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8


Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-10-2010, 10:32 PM
tinniste 079 tinniste 079 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: palmdale
Posts: 433
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: charcoal grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:53
tinniste 079 will become famous soon enough
Default mopar cam

on airram.com they have performance cams from mopar.. would these be smog legal since they came from mopar??
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 AM
UltraFlame's Avatar
UltraFlame UltraFlame is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 1,636
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 6
Rep:840
UltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to behold
Default

I would think they would but the dealer may answer it best since they sell the cams. Also with a cam, how would a smog checker know if there is a better cam inside the engine? We dont have smog checks in SC so my answer is just my thoughts.
__________________
"Semper Fidelis" to my fellow Military (USMC - Retired)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 PM
tinniste 079 tinniste 079 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: palmdale
Posts: 433
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: charcoal grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:53
tinniste 079 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraFlame View Post
I would think they would but the dealer may answer it best since they sell the cams. Also with a cam, how would a smog checker know if there is a better cam inside the engine? We dont have smog checks in SC so my answer is just my thoughts.
yea i was going to talk to the dealer and my smog guy since he is a big mopar guy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-12-2010, 10:42 PM
LSxFBODYgen3's Avatar
LSxFBODYgen3 LSxFBODYgen3 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester, New York
Age: 24
Posts: 177
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 SLT
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:11
LSxFBODYgen3 is on a distinguished road
Default

Depending on how big the cam is it can throw off your smog certification.

Honestly I didnt even know they made cams for our trucks...ive never looked into motor parts for my truck. Hmmm now im thinking...do they make any supercharger or turbo kits?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-12-2010, 10:53 PM
tinniste 079 tinniste 079 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: palmdale
Posts: 433
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: charcoal grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:53
tinniste 079 will become famous soon enough
Default

heres the link for the cam for the 4.7 its on sale also! somebody let me know about this haha
they also make soild lash adjuster's instead of the hydro ones anybody do these??
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-13-2010, 12:40 AM
4pnt7 4pnt7 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Mexico
Age: 30
Posts: 167
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2008 4.7l Dodge Ram
Color: Graphite Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
4pnt7 is on a distinguished road
Default

H.o. cams are a nice cam. I used this cam for a few months. Smog legal and tuner friendly .. I also ran the 206 cams which are a step up from the h.o.s.. I ran a 9.31 in the 1/8 mile with these cams and other mods. People have ran this cam with superchips but I ran it with sct tuner to get the most out of it. The 212x is a nice cam. This is not a tuner friendly cam. You will need custom tuning or you will be real lean. Those three cams are good with torque and have a tight lsa. The 206 and 212x are regrinds from the h.o. cam.

The stock cam has a wide lsa. Not much torque. the 212, 218, 224 all have a wide lsa and are regrinds from a stock cam. These cams are better for boost. All regrinds need lash caps. All regrinds are recommended to be used with custom tuning.

Don't waste your money on solid lash adjusters. Its a pain to set them.

As for superchargers. Paxton used to make and might still make a novi 1000 and a novi 2000 for the 4.7l.

Also airram makes adapters which allow you to mount any supercharger off a 2003-2004 cobra mustang. The adapters are pricey but have been used with an Eaton supercharger on a jeep Cherokee. I hope this helps.
__________________
Nicolas Chavez
2002 ram 4.7l qc (Totaled),60ft.-2.0,1/8-9.310,@76.mph,1/8-9.41,1/4-14.80,@90.94
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2010, 03:34 PM
tinniste 079 tinniste 079 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: palmdale
Posts: 433
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: charcoal grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:53
tinniste 079 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pnt7 View Post
H.o. cams are a nice cam. I used this cam for a few months. Smog legal and tuner friendly .. I also ran the 206 cams which are a step up from the h.o.s.. I ran a 9.31 in the 1/8 mile with these cams and other mods. People have ran this cam with superchips but I ran it with sct tuner to get the most out of it. The 212x is a nice cam. This is not a tuner friendly cam. You will need custom tuning or you will be real lean. Those three cams are good with torque and have a tight lsa. The 206 and 212x are regrinds from the h.o. cam.

The stock cam has a wide lsa. Not much torque. the 212, 218, 224 all have a wide lsa and are regrinds from a stock cam. These cams are better for boost. All regrinds need lash caps. All regrinds are recommended to be used with custom tuning.

Don't waste your money on solid lash adjusters. Its a pain to set them.

As for superchargers. Paxton used to make and might still make a novi 1000 and a novi 2000 for the 4.7l.

Also airram makes adapters which allow you to mount any supercharger off a 2003-2004 cobra mustang. The adapters are pricey but have been used with an Eaton supercharger on a jeep Cherokee. I hope this helps.
sweet thanks for the info! hopefully i can get this cam once i get that ticking in my engine figured out. My dad works for eatons aerospace division
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-14-2010, 03:50 PM
4pnt7 4pnt7 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Mexico
Age: 30
Posts: 167
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2008 4.7l Dodge Ram
Color: Graphite Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
4pnt7 is on a distinguished road
Default

Its also recommended to change your springs if you go 206 cams or bigger.
__________________
Nicolas Chavez
2002 ram 4.7l qc (Totaled),60ft.-2.0,1/8-9.310,@76.mph,1/8-9.41,1/4-14.80,@90.94
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-14-2010, 03:52 PM
4pnt7 4pnt7 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Mexico
Age: 30
Posts: 167
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2008 4.7l Dodge Ram
Color: Graphite Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
4pnt7 is on a distinguished road
Default

Ticking, hmm.!. Give me a call any time 979-645-0330
__________________
Nicolas Chavez
2002 ram 4.7l qc (Totaled),60ft.-2.0,1/8-9.310,@76.mph,1/8-9.41,1/4-14.80,@90.94
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-15-2010, 03:15 AM
tinniste 079 tinniste 079 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: palmdale
Posts: 433
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: charcoal grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:53
tinniste 079 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pnt7 View Post
Its also recommended to change your springs if you go 206 cams or bigger.
the 206 cams arent smog legal tho are they?
how about with the h\o cams anything else i need or can you run those stock with a tuner?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum