DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
dave k is on a distinguished road
Default Adding a electric brake controller

Hi I' new here from the Challengerz forum and I just got a 09 Ram 2500 4x4 and am adding an electric trailer brake controller. I bought the truck used with 14,000 mi. It came with a harness (pn56045795AB REV:A1) for under the dash for my brake controller. When I plug that in under my dash I have a ground circuit (Dk grn/black tracer), Brake light input/output? (Lt blue/white tracer) Trailer tow electric brake feed (light Blue), and +12V Battery feed (white/red tracer). When I plug this in under the dash I am showing no 12+ even with the key on. Is there a fuse in the Tipm that I also need to plug in? Or do I add a wire out to the battery with a circuit breaker. I haven't pinned out the rest of the wires so I really don't know If I am on the right track yet. My Brake controller is out of my old truck and I cant find the wiring diagram but it is a Tekonsha and it has 4 wires that say Black is battery, white is ground, red is brake lights/switch and blue to my trailer brakes. Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored links
Old 07-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Dirty D 2006 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave k View Post
Hi I' new here from the Challengerz forum and I just got a 09 Ram 2500 4x4 and am adding an electric trailer brake controller. I bought the truck used with 14,000 mi. It came with a harness (pn56045795AB REV:A1) for under the dash for my brake controller. When I plug that in under my dash I have a ground circuit (Dk grn/black tracer), Brake light input/output? (Lt blue/white tracer) Trailer tow electric brake feed (light Blue), and +12V Battery feed (white/red tracer). When I plug this in under the dash I am showing no 12+ even with the key on. Is there a fuse in the Tipm that I also need to plug in? Or do I add a wire out to the battery with a circuit breaker. I haven't pinned out the rest of the wires so I really don't know If I am on the right track yet. My Brake controller is out of my old truck and I cant find the wiring diagram but it is a Tekonsha and it has 4 wires that say Black is battery, white is ground, red is brake lights/switch and blue to my trailer brakes. Any help would be appreciated
Hi there
If you are not getting anything on to with the battery, You may have a blown fuse that is located on the Power to the battery, there was a 30 AMP fuse on mine that I installed on my Dakota.
I now have a 06 1500 and I bought a Curt Discovery Brake controller that you can buy the Quick connect harness.
It was a quick plug and play for me.
If you have all wires connected correctly and it sound like you do, try flowing the power 12+ wire and there should be a fuse on that circuit leading to the power supply under the hood, see if it is blown.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Check and make sure there is a 30A fuse in J09 in the TIPMCGW.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
armylife is on a distinguished road
Default 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 - electronic brake wire

After much reading and searching - I was misled, and you most likely are too if your trying to find the "BLUE" wire that leads to the electronic brake controller.

It isn't blue - it's green. If you have a 4 - pole flat pre-wired by mfg. Then make life simple, no matter if you buy a Hoyle or Reese electronic brake connect, get the Hoyle connector (it connects directly to the 4 pole, long flat, connector under the dashboard by the parking brake to the left of the junction box), but if you buy the Reese electronic connector you'll have to clip the plastic clip off that would connect to the Hoyle brake controller so you can wire the Reese to it.

If you have 4 pole flat wire installed like I did, then the GREEN wire will stop at a connection just behind the mudflap, in the driver side front fender well. I used a wire clip, tied in, and ran it to the back inside the same cable channel that carries the other wires on the driver side of the frame. It got a little tricky going over the fuel tank. But it's possible. On my truck is was just above my volt-meter probe. In the middle. Remember, trust but verify. Check yours voltage there while somebody depresses the peddle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 - electronic brake wire.jpg (65.8 KB, 34 views)