DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Detonator Yellow
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
STANK is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust, Headlights, Tuner, New Grille ??s

Hey all-

New to the site and love it! I have a few random questions for my next mods that I was hoping someone could chime in on and give me some advice. I've listed them out below and didn't post to a specific sub thread as they're in more than one.

Here's what I am dealing with: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport, Airaid CAI Installed with Throttle Body Spacer so far.

1. I've got the 20" rims and does anyone know of a cat back dual exhaust system that is bent right from the factory to leave enough clearance around the spare? I'm looking for an exhaust that when driving highway ( i drive 60mi round trip to work) doesn't make me go crazy in the cab but when I punch it everybody knows I'm there. I saw on here that Flowmaster is loud all the time and that wouldn't be what I would want. Was thinking Dynaflow or Gibson but always looking for suggestions.

2. Any thoughts on adding headers at the same time?

3. Consensus on the site seems to be that the DS Predator tuner is the most cost effective tuner on the market today as compared to SC and BD. Does anyone have the Trinity system installed? I'm interested in that as it has 4 factory tunes and I think you can change tunes on the fly??

4. Looking at new headlights and wanted to see if anyone had experience or has the LED projector headlights and what they thought of them? I'm wary as the whole headlight fixture costs the same as just the HID bulbs and worry the projectors are not a good buy. Was also thinking of 6000K HID bulbs and yellow HID bulbs for the fog lights with Hella or similar HIDs in the grille. Any suggestions on wear to buy?

5. As far as grille inserts go, does Putco or anyone else make replacement inserts? I would like to remove the stock slats for something circular to hide the Hellas a little better.

Thanks for the help and looking forward to the discussion!
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: brillian black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:75
PorkChop will become famous soon enough

for exhause the consensouse on here is to stay away from flowmaster if you have the MDS. magnaflo has complete kits prebent for easy install and they sound great. sounds like you would want to go with a larger muffler rather than the shorter, that should help keep the noise in the cab down for you.
if you have the money, do header at the same time, your there anyway might as well do it all.
i have the DS preditor, i love it so far. i like the idea of the trinity, but like the clean stock look. i have not heard anything bad about the trinity yet so it a safe bet.
as for the lights and grill, im dont knwo much about them, but they are popular mods so i know someone will come in behind me to help you out with that
Old 08-13-2010, 02:39 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

..and you can't change tunes on the fly...diesels can..but not gassers.. then again, I've been wrong before... but i agree with porkchop..stay away from flows..
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 AM
erm

Welcome to the forum. In answer to your questions:

1. I prefer Magnaflow systems. They just sound better to me. Gibson is very close to Magnaflow in sound. Magnaflow for sure makes a dual system for your truck that fits.

2. Headers are always a good mod. JBA has some nicely made units. Don't forget to get a new set of gaskets. I keep hearing that the stock exhaust manifold gaskets are plenty good. Also, a good set of fasteners (like Stage 8 Fasteners) are highly recommended.

3. I have a Predator on my truck and my SRT8. Great tool, very flexible, custom tunes are cool. You cannot change tunes on the fly with the Trinity but it does have some cool features the Predator does not have. You can hold up to 5 tunes (including your stock tune) on either tool.

4. I have no suggestions here. I went with 8,000K low beam HID's on a relay harness (to fix a flickering problem) with a bi-xenon bulb for a bright white high beam on a trigger wire and 8,000K HID fogs.

5. I've seen a lot of grille inserts for this truck all over the web. LMCTruck.com, autoanything.com, jtsvenom.com, the list is huge. What's gonna be hard is finding one you can settle on over all the choices you have.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:53 AM

Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Welcome to the forum. In answer to your questions:

1. I prefer Magnaflow systems. They just sound better to me. Gibson is very close to Magnaflow in sound. Magnaflow for sure makes a dual system for your truck that fits.

2. Headers are always a good mod. JBA has some nicely made units. Don't forget to get a new set of gaskets. I keep hearing that the stock exhaust manifold gaskets are plenty good. Also, a good set of fasteners (like Stage 8 Fasteners) are highly recommended.

3. I have a Predator on my truck and my SRT8. Great tool, very flexible, custom tunes are cool. You cannot change tunes on the fly with the Trinity but it does have some cool features the Predator does not have. You can hold up to 5 tunes (including your stock tune) on either tool.

4. I have no suggestions here. I went with 8,000K low beam HID's on a relay harness (to fix a flickering problem) with a bi-xenon bulb for a bright white high beam on a trigger wire and 8,000K HID fogs.

5. I've seen a lot of grille inserts for this truck all over the web. LMCTruck.com, autoanything.com, jtsvenom.com, the list is huge. What's gonna be hard is finding one you can settle on over all the choices you have.

1. x2 on what they all said for exhaust i say magnaflow dual exhaust i love it

2. headers what you have 4x4 or 2wd you can get pacesetter or i got obx for a good price or supermax.

3. x2 also on the diablo are you looking for a cam and work the truck or not.

4. i have theses and i love it

5. i have no ideas here sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31839340041_large.jpg (32.3 KB, 15 views)

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Old 08-13-2010, 09:54 AM

Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough

o ya with the headlights its cheap plastic clips that is the only bad thing you need to worry about that and if you need to replace the bulb hard to find... what made you buy the spacers

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Old 08-13-2010, 10:38 AM

chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

I think people buy the spacers by reading magazines and mfg ads. They don't ask any of the motor guys (especially the ram performance guys) because they would know that they are nothing more then a paperweight for us. I run cutouts with the biggest muffler magnaflow makes (22" body) because I want to be stealthy quiet when I kick the butts of any of the 'loud' mufflered trucks here locally. then, or if I'm at a light and they want to have a revving contesting (them thinkin that louder is better), i open the cutouts and go nascar loud on them.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Detonator Yellow
Rep:10
STANK is on a distinguished road

Much appreciated on the thoughts!

A few answers and maybe some more questions too...

Bought the TBS on a whim with the CAI. Everyone is right, it's a total waste of money. Makes a supercharger whine at certain RPMs but no performance from it. Should have spent the money somewhere else! Was hoping for cheap HP but wasted some cash instead...

My truck is a 4WD. Came with the Pirelli tires on it. They're a bit small in the wheel wells but stick the ground like glue. Looking to lift the truck and get it more aggressive next year.

Not really thinking about adding a cam in the near future to tell you the truth. Might be a possibility but i think tuner, CAI and exhaust would be as far as i would go right now. Are headers easy to uninstall and add new if i do it myself or is that something I should go to a shop for? Is the stock cat hi flow enough with new headers and muffler or should i plan on taking care of that with a new one also?

Definitely like the look of those headlights attached, Mopar Mike. Was that something you did yourself or bought online and installed? Can you PM me?

Are the cutouts worth it for power and how did you install those? I assume you have more included than just a tuner and exhaust to run cutouts...

Much appreciated on the advice everyone! I need to get a few pics up here ASAP!

Last edited by STANK; 08-13-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:00 PM

from what your describing..superchips (3865) would be the best performing tuner for you, better tranny control and some other user options too..I especially like the 1/4 mile logging that tells you how fast you run. as for exhaust options, at least do one where you'll keep the forward resonator (because of mds), also, a good idea to change the Y pipe as well (if the stock Y is pinched) to improve flow, as for cutouts, not sure of performance, but the fun part is more then worth it...

here is where I open the cutouts for burnout then close them for the run, when i do close them it almost sounds like i turned the truck off..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg exhaust1.jpg (30.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-13-2010, 12:27 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3247
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANK View Post
Hey all-

1. I've got the 20" rims and does anyone know of a cat back dual exhaust system that is bent right from the factory to leave enough clearance around the spare? I'm looking for an exhaust that when driving highway ( i drive 60mi round trip to work) doesn't make me go crazy in the cab but when I punch it everybody knows I'm there. I saw on here that Flowmaster is loud all the time and that wouldn't be what I would want. Was thinking Dynaflow or Gibson but always looking for suggestions.

2. Any thoughts on adding headers at the same time?

3. Consensus on the site seems to be that the DS Predator tuner is the most cost effective tuner on the market today as compared to SC and BD. Does anyone have the Trinity system installed? I'm interested in that as it has 4 factory tunes and I think you can change tunes on the fly??

4. Looking at new headlights and wanted to see if anyone had experience or has the LED projector headlights and what they thought of them? I'm wary as the whole headlight fixture costs the same as just the HID bulbs and worry the projectors are not a good buy. Was also thinking of 6000K HID bulbs and yellow HID bulbs for the fog lights with Hella or similar HIDs in the grille. Any suggestions on wear to buy?

5. As far as grille inserts go, does Putco or anyone else make replacement inserts? I would like to remove the stock slats for something circular to hide the Hellas a little better.

Thanks for the help and looking forward to the discussion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANK View Post
Are headers easy to uninstall and add new if i do it myself or is that something I should go to a shop for? Is the stock cat hi flow enough with new headers and muffler or should i plan on taking care of that with a new one also?

Definitely like the look of those headlights attached, Mopar Mike. Was that something you did yourself or bought online and installed? Can you PM me?

Are the cutouts worth it for power and how did you install those? I assume you have more included than just a tuner and exhaust to run cutouts...

Much appreciated on the advice everyone! I need to get a few pics up here ASAP!
Alright, I'll drop my $0.02 here as well.

1. These guys have pointed ya on the right path, though I'm also a fan of Borla (if you've got the $$). My Borla cat-back sounds great at WOT and has a nice tone, MDS or not, as it has a second high-flow resonator.

2. I would do headers at the same time, and make sure you get an aftermarket y-pipe to get rid of the HORRIBLE stock one, it's abismal and I have no idea what chrysler was thinking. Long tubes will give you better low-end and if you add electric cut outs then you'll be able to open 'em up at higher RPMs to get that better flowing. The stock cats do flow quite a bit, but if you're trying to open your system up, get a set of magnaflow cats, I wouldn't recommend deleting them if this is your DD.

3. While the predator IS the most comprehensive and supported programmer, since you're not planning a huge build on the top end (cam, heads, etc) then like fred said, the SC is probably the better way to go for the improved tranny control, but it is limited in its ability to do custom tuning.

4. I've got the LED HALO projector assemblies from AnzoUSA and I love them. Just so you know, the projector comes with a standard halogen bulb, which CAN be swapped out for a Xenon bulb if you want the look of a HID without actually going that route. The projectors put out a much wider light path, and depnding on how you sight them, you can have a visible cut-off line. I personally am adding HIDs to my projectors and will be looking forward to matching the 6K fogs I also have.

5. If you want to just replace the inserts then you have a HUGE range of choices. Start with whether you want chrome, stainless, black chrome.... too many to choose from. Then just start checking out suppliers or the large online suppliers for selection and looks. The Street Scenes speed grilles look good and do cover up a lot more than the stock slats. I've got the Hella 500s behind my grille, but I have a 2pc RBP grille since I wanted the grille area openend up for better airflow.

Hellas hooked into the high beams

Regular low beams and 6K fogs... you see why I need the low-beam HIDs.