DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
dj913 is on a distinguished road
Default lowering 2010 q/c 4x4?

has anyone lowered thier 2010 quad cab 4x4s? i found a kit from ground force... havent really heard of them all that much before. here is a link. anyone who has done this post pics! also ive been reading about doing the rear flip kit? my friend just did this on her 2010 ford f150 and it bottoms out like crazy so she says. she said she will probably notch the frame. anyone else have problems like that thus far?
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Light Graystone
Rep:20
Simcik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj913 View Post
has anyone lowered thier 2010 quad cab 4x4s? i found a kit from ground force... havent really heard of them all that much before. here is a link. anyone who has done this post pics! also ive been reading about doing the rear flip kit? my friend just did this on her 2010 ford f150 and it bottoms out like crazy so she says. she said she will probably notch the frame. anyone else have problems like that thus far?
Haven't done it myself, but numerous friends recommend the Drop Force systems. Up front on 4x4s, you've got a couple options. Torsion locks, spindles, springs...

And with the new Rams rear coilovers, you've got no need for the flip-kit. (Nor would one work.) Just use air bags or lowering springs.

Good luck whichever way you go!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:46 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Gotta ask, why own a 4x4 if you're going to lower it? Not picking, just curious.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:43
HotWheels is on a distinguished road

We do have at least one (most likely more) member(s) who has done this I just don't recall the name. Maybe sombody elce will know.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:01 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

CdnoilRAM did the 2/4 Ground Force kit on his 07 4x4
Old 08-17-2010, 12:02 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Light Graystone
Rep:20
Simcik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
Gotta ask, why own a 4x4 if you're going to lower it? Not picking, just curious.

Some people don't need the 4wd for off-roading, rather just for certain weather and road conditions.

Also too, AWD is perferable for maximum performance, both on and off road. And lowering a vehicle greatly helps improve its handling. Lower an AWD vehicle and you've got a great on-road combination.

On top of that, 4x4s sit about 1.5-2" higher than the 2wd models, making it difficult to get in and out of for some owners. A 2" lowering kit simply puts a 4x4 at a similar 4x2's height...
Old 08-17-2010, 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
bigdrams is on a distinguished road

If you are looking at the ground force it is only a 2/3 drop i think. I went with a mcgaughy 2/4 and i like it.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simcik View Post
Some people don't need the 4wd for off-roading, rather just for certain weather and road conditions.

Also too, AWD is perferable for maximum performance, both on and off road. And lowering a vehicle greatly helps improve its handling. Lower an AWD vehicle and you've got a great on-road combination.

On top of that, 4x4s sit about 1.5-2" higher than the 2wd models, making it difficult to get in and out of for some owners. A 2" lowering kit simply puts a 4x4 at a similar 4x2's height...
Thanks for the clarification.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 08-18-2010, 01:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

dj913 is on a distinguished road

yeah i bought mine for just the purpose of just "incase" i need it. i live in alberta,canada. weather here is all over the place, couple years ago it snowed june 12, ya thats right june 12 lol. i traded in my 04 srt4 for this truck, so its a huge step up considering i never drove the car for more than 5 months of the year in the past 3 years i had owned it. i just want to improve the stance alittle more, and like simcik said, i want to substancially improve the handling. so why not, i dont need the 4x4 option for clearance or anything, just so its there in times of need. i got in contact with one of my close friends last night after i posted this and he told me also that with the coilovers in the rear there is no need for a 4x4 specific kit, there the same as the 4x2s from ground force.. just a price jump in my opinion. and this info is coming from a guy who owns this.

did this

also did the ford owners new 2010 ford f150 4x4 with 50km on it lol
and also this

and has done and knows more than anything about dropping a truck than anyone else i know personally, so ill take his word with it. but your guys' opinion comes into play lots. consider he drives a gm..right? lol. ill let you know how it turns out

Last edited by dj913; 08-18-2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: attached double photo
Old 08-18-2010, 03:24 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I dropped my '07 4x4 with the GF 2/4 kit. The most important thing to look at is the angle on your CV joints, any more than a 2" front drop will put them at extreme angles and when you shift into 4x4 you will blow them out. Now, if you're willing to go low, but put a 'bag kit on to lift the front end up to a proper ride height that's another idea. I would love to lay out my truck... but I do need it to be practical since it's my DD and I'd be too worried about line leaks and freezing up joints in the winter. I have the 4x4 for the same reason you do dj, for the assurance in our lovely weather we get out here, and the handling has improved greatly with mine, you just need to get new ball joints (Moog ones that come with grease nipples) as I've found you go through them with the lowered stance. Now, if the '09+ front ends are different from the previous gen I don't know, but I believe it was just the rear that got the makeover to the coilovers.

I remember seeing that GMC... I beleive they called it a 4x4xfloor... and I was jealous.