DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
lancinator is on a distinguished road
Default economy questions

i have an 07 with a 6.7L, the power is more than i need. however the economy isn't as good as my old 01. i have a stock exhaust. i reprogrammed it with a superchip programmer and all i got was more power. i want mileage. i was told it has some kind of a regenerator in the exhaust that makes it hot and get worse economy. is this true? I was told to do an exhaust delete, i don't know what that means. i didn't see anything on my programmer that said anything about the exhaust, as a means of getting around all those sensors. can somebody educate me?
thanks,
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1992 Dodge Ram D250
Trim Level: Dunno?
Color: Grey
Engine: 1989-1993 360ci (5.9L) Cummins diesel I6 160hp 400lb/ft
Rep:10
USMCLcpl0311 is on a distinguished road

They mean that you still have the stock dpf particulate filter on the truck which causes the poor fuel economy. The kits are pretty pricy but in the end the better economy and how much you will save at the pump, it pays for itself. Here is a link to give you an estimate on the price.http://puredpfdelete.com/catalog/dodge/index.php.

Also you may want to consider a cold air intake too. Is it an auto or stick?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

Which superchips programmer did you purchase? Unfortunatly I only think a few of there programmers will support a DPF delete tune. That is probably the first thing you'll need to look into.
Your truck has two filters in the exhaust that are there to reduce emissions. These filters are designed to catch the particulate (black soot) and recirculate some of the exhaust gas back into the motor.
After the motor catches so much soot it goes into regeneration(well sometimes it does, when it decides to) there are two types of regeneration, active and passive regeneration. Active regeneration burns the soot from the filter with extreme motor temperatures, ie beating on your truck to raise the EGTs enough to burn the soot (usually 1300*F and above). If you dont burn your filter out actively and the filter becomes full it will put itself into passive regeneration which cycles up to a gallon of raw diesel fuel through the filter as a catalyst to burn the filter.
Between using fuel as a catalyst and the extreme amount of backpressure caused by these filters your terrible fuel mileage is the result.
My girlfriends dad does alot of high way driving, he saw his average mpgs go from about 15mpg to 24mpg with a dpf delete and a H&S mini maxx tuner on the stock setting