DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:840
UltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to behold

3.92 all the way. Especially if 4x4 or planning to tow anything.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, 1500, Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:16
dafoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstate48 View Post
We just bought a new truck, and thought it had a 3.92 in it, but after driving it, it's a 3.55. Not real happy. The salesman told me I could drive it in tow mode. I thought with a towing package, it would be lower gears. Boy was I wrong. Stay with the lower gears,the mileage won't be hurt. Good luck Doug
Yep X 2. Sad thing is. It's a great truck otherwise.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:08 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:34
brvheart is on a distinguished road

Seems as though I suffer from the same thing you guys do. I also bought a truck with the HEMI and 4x4 thinking that it had the 3.92 that I desired for pulling my boat. To be honest, I really thought the HEMI 4x4 combo had a standard 3.92 but I was wrong.

I am going to list it on Craigslist and see what happens and then buy another exactly like it with a 3.92.

I agree - Dodge should have made the 3.92 standard in the HEMI 4x4 -

I do love everything else about the truck though - I converted from being a Chevy lifetime driver to a Ram owner.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:28
JRye is on a distinguished road

One of the reasons I went with the TRX package was that it includes the 3.92 gears.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
black magic is on a distinguished road

I'm looking to buy a new 4x4, but the one I'm looking at has 3:55 gears. Your comments are concerning me. I have a 19' ski boat that gets pulled about every other weekend durring the summer. I currently have an '08 ram 2wd with the 3:92 gears. Am I going to see a significant difference when pulling with the 3:55 or just a bit slower off of the line. I was thinking that when it comes to yanking it out of the water, to just throw it in 4L and no worries. Thoughts?
Old 08-20-2010, 03:20 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by black magic View Post
I'm looking to buy a new 4x4, but the one I'm looking at has 3:55 gears. Your comments are concerning me. I have a 19' ski boat that gets pulled about every other weekend durring the summer. I currently have an '08 ram 2wd with the 3:92 gears. Am I going to see a significant difference when pulling with the 3:55 or just a bit slower off of the line. I was thinking that when it comes to yanking it out of the water, to just throw it in 4L and no worries. Thoughts?
Here's the way I see it. If you can get the Ram with 3.92 gears go for it.

But if you get the 3.55 gears you can hit the tow/haul button which turns on the light on the dash. This will give you lower gearing in the tranny to an extent. The 3.55 gears will give you better overall mpg but will be a bit sluggish out of the hole for towing.

The other thing is newer rams come with 5 selectable gears on the tranny, so you can shift to your hearts content as needed.

Since you are getting a 4x4, the limited slip in that comes with the 3.92 is a non-issue. Just remember that as soon as you are on level ground, turn the 4x4 off unless you are on dirt. 4x4 and dry pavement do not get along. Definitely do not make any sharp turns with it engaged on dry pavement.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 08-20-2010, 03:35 PM

I will sell you a nice Mineral Gray HEMI with the 3.55 sport crew cab if you want one - less than 600 miles on it
Old 08-20-2010, 03:38 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by brvheart View Post
I will sell you a nice Mineral Gray HEMI with the 3.55 sport crew cab if you want one - less than 600 miles on it
For the amount of money you'll lose by selling the truck, you'd be better off getting the gears installed if that is the only issue you have with the truck.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 08-20-2010, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Crew Cab
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Rep:81
gregster will become famous soon enough
Default I have the 3.55's

Like others here, I never thought to check the gears before buying. I have the Sport with the 3.55 gears.

Reading all the comments here about the 3.92's really makes me wish I had done my research before buying. I always have the nagging feeling that I have done an injustice to the Hemi by sticking it with the 3.55 gears!! lol.

Having said all that, however, the 3.55 gears are not the worst thing on earth, either. The Ram is still super quick and runs great. I tow routinely with it (covered single-axle work trailer full of heavy equipment). The truck pulls so effortlessly that its easy to forget the trailer is back there at times!!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:12 PM

^ do you ever pull through the hills or mountains? I would be interested in your experience there - that is really the only place I fear I will be unhappy.

I am in the same exact boat as you on this....I have done a dis justice to the mighty HEMI....