DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I just know the spectre on my step father's F150 has a "heat shield" but it is completely open to the under hood. It does nothing to block hot air from the filter. Other than that it is as good as any other I'd say.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2012, 02:54 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Big Horn/ QC
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn QC
Color: white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
C Jones is on a distinguished road

Oh my goodness....I'm about to piss off the forum. Gentlemen, I've run performance vehicles, and the CAI only makes a difference when you're looking for more dense air to push thru a throttle bosy...usually with a turbo which needs the cooler and more dense air to produce the horses and reduce the detonation factor needed to propel the car to a higher level of performance. Do a run in the morning with cooler and more dense air, and you get better times in the speed trap\. Increase the size of the throttle body in conjunction with the CAI factoring in some engine performance data, and depending uipon the setup of your engine, you just MIGHT get some better times. Most of this aftermarket stuff is fluff. There are so many folks out there just itching to add on a doo-dad that the marketing divison makes some totally unsupported claim about. We all want a bigger, faster, more efficient, gas efficient roadster than the other fellow that we're all on the hunt for everything from a light bulb to a CAI, throttle body, bigger wheels, or other doo-dad that will allow us to out perform the other guy. When I ran Porsches, I actually went back to the FACTORY air filter...proved to be better than the other after market maufacturer....won't say the name, but it's a BIG competitor. I did this after quite a bit of research and not just on a whim.

Believe me or call BS on the whole thread....but do your own research before you bank on the propaganda of the retailers. Now for a disclaimer...it's not all BS, but some of it is .....let's say....stretched a bit.

Drive safely.....Cj

In this case, we're dealing with a UTILITY vehicle....designed to pull trailers, haul lumber, sandbagas, or simplly act as a daily driver. CAI's and mufflers do little or nothing to do anything for your performance except give you a more throaty sounding vehicle. To some, that equates to faster, better, more efficient. Why do you see so many Abarth mufflers on Subarus, Hondas, andd other imports? Because they equate sound to performance. The better the souind, the faster it goes??? Guys, we're not dealing with the sound barrier, we're dealing with actual data produced by th stats taken off dyno...not the propanda written up by a CAI manufacturer who claims an increase of 20 horses or XX torque.

I simply ask you to request the dyno specs from these people who make these exhorbinant claims. Where's the beef? Where do you get a 6 mph increase in the overall mileage figures of a tank of gas? (sorry. there's no spell check in this program, but I think you get the idea)

Last edited by C Jones; 03-26-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:656
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

compare apples to apples, our hemi's are waay different animals then a subaru or a porsche and will respond to cai's and exhausts differently.. i do agree with you that some do equate loud sound to performance which is humorous. i run the biggest magnaflow because i want it really quiet in the cab but also wanted a better flowing muffler than stock and not sound loud on the street either. As for cai's, I do run a bigger one than most. I really don't dyno much anymore unless it's for a gtg. I do all my performance mod comparisons at the track and a stock cai doesn't flow as much as my engine needs to perform well.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

No dyno results here, but I'll go you one better...Every mod added to my Ram has resulted in reduced times at the track.
I have 200+ time slips over a two year span that range from 15.3's (stock) to 14.5's (intake,exhaust,tuner only) down to my best at 13.8's on DR's.
No internals, turbos, supercharger, or spray, stock motor right down to the cast iron exhaust manifolds.

I can make a dozen passes at the local track for $25 and take all day to do it,
Dyno pulls cost $100 a shot ( for 2 runs) and only measure from 3500-5600 rpm in 3rd gear.

Call it snake oil if you want, but if you add up all the little 10ths you can cut with minor "supporting" mods and tweaks you CAN end up shaving a second....or more.
Also, mechanical advantages such as gear reductions, smaller sticky tires, and torque converters
make a LOT more of a difference on the road and at the track, BUT that only shows up on a track slip, not on a Dyno graph.

Headers are going on next, then 4.56's
I'm heading for mid-low 13's in my 5300 pound 4x4 snake oil brick real soon LOL!

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 03-26-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Black
Rep:11
riggz is on a distinguished road

Just FYI for those interested in the lower air dam scoop for the Volant intake... according to an email inquiry reply from Volant:
Quote:
We are currently in tooling for the new dodge scoop we hope to have it released some time next month
Old 03-27-2012, 06:21 PM

Vehicle: 2012
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Rep:24
PX8black is on a distinguished road

I agree with BlackRamHemi. A example of this on my ride, added a K&N CAI and it seemed sluggish on the low end and then i changed the stock exhaust to Magnaflow. The throttle response and gain was IMO greatly improved. Anyway its the combination of a lot of little things that add up.
K&N CAI, Hellwig 7709 rear sway bar, Trifold bed cover, painted the calipers red, debadged, WeatherTech floor mats, windows tinted, Rhino bed liner, Mopar color matched gas filler door, Recon third brake, Spec-D Projectors, smoked tail lights, Carbon fiber shorty antenna, McGaughy's 2/4 deluxe drop, Moroso 85479 oil separator, 18" Magnaflow, Lamin-X Gunsmoke Tint, Custom Billet Badges, EGR window visors, Jl audio and JBL speakers, Fastman TB,
Old 03-27-2012, 06:47 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Next on your list, if you're looking for a little more, without breaking the bank
a Fastman throttle body $212, and a Magnaflow Y pipe $30.

more air in, more air out = more power.
an internal combustion engine is basically an air pump.

Every little mod measured on its own may seem useless to some,
but gradually removing restrictions, no matter how small add up to more free flowing system as a whole.

it only takes 10 tenths to equal a full second quicker than a stock truck, only getting there 1 tenth at a time ? who cares? it's fun!
Now a second my not sound like much, but its over 10 truck lengths on a quarter mile.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 03-27-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 08 Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn
Color: Electric Blue Pearl
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:119
ICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enoughICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ICEMAN99TURBO Send a message via Yahoo to ICEMAN99TURBO

I just bought the CAI because I like to spend money...
Old 04-18-2012, 02:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Color: Flame Red
Rep:19
Bg Rd Ram is on a distinguished road

Ok, I tried to find if this had already been answered, but I couldn't, so here it is: I have it narrowed to the Air Raid or AFE. The AFE looks easy to install since it uses the bottom part of the stock airbox. Does anyone know of any other major differences? Does the "tri-lobe" intake tube mean anything? Thanks!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

In short, I choose the AFE, works and looks just fine, all the CAI systems will improve the air flow over stock.... Unless your racing or in NASCAR, the small differences really do not matter much, go with the one you like and the one that fits your budget, each one has advantages and slight disadvantages, there is no clear performance winner in the CAI wars, The HP gains vary slightly between brands and can be compared on their web sites.... Hope this will assist you in your decesion....