DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default Check Engine Light

Well, my "Check Engine" light has come on again/ This makes about 15-17 times since I bought my 2008 6.7 Ram about 19 months ago. 380 miles ago everything was reset, new fuel filter ($175.00), turbo vanes cycled (?). Was told that next time this occured, I would be in need of a new turbo. Well, my local dealer said he was on a "restriction" for new turbos, struts and transmissions so I was out of luck!. I called Dodge Customer Service and asked them what I was supposed to do with my 7800lb, 29,000 mile "boat anchor". Last wrench said I had the wrong fuel filter on, a 7micron and book called for a seven micron and he put on a 2 micron. (Lie as Mopar's filters are only 5 or 7) only 2 micron was/is, made by FASS and they're about $500 or so. Service said they'd contact dealer about a new turbo for me as I reminded them that I was under warranty still and they were obligated to keep repairing it for a total of 100,000 miles. (engine warranty and the emissions id 120,000 miles). About fed up with this crap. Should have kept my 85K 2005 5.9 trouble free truck.
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2010, 11:57 AM
erm

Sorry to see your new truck is given you a problem. Sounds like your dealer service department and the tech need some help with how to get things done for warranty service as well!

One suggestion...a buddy of mine who owns a medium sized construction company runs a fleet of Dodge diesel pickups. He's had similar problems but found out from Dodge that he just needs to run them hard once a week (he idles them a lot) that helps with some of the turbo, fuel delivery and emissions particulate filtration problems.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:54 PM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Angry Check Engine Ligfht

Thanks for your thoughts, but I always run with the exhaust brake ON, NEVER IDLE and try to keep the RPMs at least 1500-2100. Nothing seems to work for any length of time/milage. My 5.9 '05 was the best truck I'd ever had and I've had a couple in my 73 years on this planet. Only normal servicing besides tires. Thought I'd try the brake and six speed auto.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:00 PM
erm

This is good info to know when attempting to diagnose a problem.

Did your dealer share what your CEL code is?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I'll bet my hat there's more than one code being thrown.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:2217
iRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome aboard the ForumZ. I am sorry you are having these discrepancies with your turbo. I too have a 6.7L 08' and I was told I would need a new turbo. Then a recall came in and once I got everything reflashed and updated, she runs like a champ now. I also have 28,xxx miles on her. I think I would be getting a second opinion. Just my .02 cents and see our tech is already in on this!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:23
Diesel Geek is on a distinguished road

he most likely had p2262 boost pressure not detected (michanical)
you do need to have your ECM brought up the the latest software level!!! then
beat the ever living hell out of the truck. try and pull a boat with no trailer with it or something like the make it work hard get it really hot.
the next thing that will go is the EGR valve then the DPF if the flash is not done (thats if it's not there already)
i fix icoveru's truck.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:46 PM

Had it all reset and a new turbo ordered. It'll be installed on the 8th. Lite came on again last nite and I ran the S--t out of it for 15 miles @ 3000rpms. Lite went out. Could almost watch the fuel gauge go down. I run it like I should so no reason for the lite to keep coming on. Hopefully the new turbo/reflash will finally cure it. I realize now that there is a direct relationship to how the exhaust brake works and the CEL. Lite out...........works great; lite on..................works spastically. JMHO
Old 09-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I used to drive several brands of semi & 10 wheel trucks, the trouble with having a fleet of diesels & 20 some drivers behind the wheel of each of them, is that we went through turbos all the time, after our equipment shop installed pyrometers on every diesel engine, they started buying less turbos, they called every driver into a conference room & gave a short class on driving diesels. They then put a little sticker on the dash boards right next to the pyrometers, it read: shut down procedure, idle engine for 3 minutes or when the pyrometer drops to 3, which ever comes first. Never let engine idle for more than 5 minutes. We even had a shop supervisor that would go out into the field to the larger operations, he would pull the keys out of any truck that idled for more than 5 minutes, the SOB would then take the keys back to the shop with him, that would slow up the operation because the driver had to get a ride back to the shop to sign for the keys, get a lecture, & receive a letter in his employment file. Needless to say, the turbos lasted longer & the shop only had to replace them because of defects & very high mileage.
sorry for the rant, i just like venting once in a while
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-16-2010, 12:48 PM

New upgraded turbo has now been installed and it seems to run better and the brake works better. The new turbo supposedly had a different electric notor that slides the vanes (?) on the shaft and doesn't draw as many amps as the old one. There is also a fitting that cleaner can be sprayed into to help clean the innards. Maybe my problems have been resolved,